Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    kx250frider617            06-10-2012, 10:46 AM Reply   
Im riding my buddies xstar and was wondering how to weight this thing. It has the factory ballast.

What does the factory ballast consist of? I was planning on putting 250lb bag in the rear hatches and 750 up front. On top of factory.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-11-2012, 5:08 AM Reply   
R U A Pro?? You Don't need the extra weight. The X Star stock is very good. Unless you're the next Danny Harf or something, forget about it.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-11-2012, 5:10 AM Reply   
Oh- and bringing extra ballast to a friend's boat- unless he's your BEST friend ever- which this guy isn't as you're asking about how to weight his boat and you'd already know it- is a total boner move. You better be PAYING for a full tank of gas minimum - even then I know I wouldn't let it happen in my rig.
Old     (b33nine)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-11-2012, 9:45 AM Reply   
I really dislike the factory X-Star wake, it's just too mellow for my tastes, my favorite wake with (lots of) ballast added. I assume your buddy is cool with adding extra ballast since you're asking here, but we run 800s in the rear, basically whatever we can fit under the front seats (used to run half full 300s under there but now have the fly high bags) and try to run another bag of whatever you can find in the bow walk-way.

The set up you're suggesting will probably be a nice wake as well, just realize it takes awhile to get the wakes dialed on those, I've found the MCX and the 8.1 to react quite a bit differently to similar weights added. (wake size/shape, not how fast it gets on plane)
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-11-2012, 9:52 AM Reply   
Man, Will....you don't even know the story and you're just bashing him? what if his buddy just wanted to weight it down and didn't have any bags or something. its not your boat, he was asking about weight not whether or not it would be appropriate for him to just bring extra bags without asking. and honestly who cares if he's a pro or not. i know plenty of people that are no where near pro but love hitting the biggest wake possible even if its just to go soaring on a big poked grab.

Jordan, if that's what you got, bring it and try it, might have to play with it a big or drain or add something, but have fun man. with those three bags, yes i'd do exactly what you said. try to get that 750 as far forward as you can and fill it all the way up!
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-11-2012, 10:05 AM Reply   
Well said Sip!
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-11-2012, 10:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by will5150 View Post
R U A Pro?? You Don't need the extra weight. The X Star stock is very good. Unless you're the next Danny Harf or something, forget about it.
Idk what wake you ride but I'm far from a pro and I think the stock wake on the x-star is laughable. Throw some weight in it and it only gets better!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-11-2012, 10:20 AM Reply   
I think the consensus is the Xstar needs rear weight and as far back as you can get it. Maybe throw the 250's in the rear vdrive compartments as far back as possible and the 750 in the middle cockpit area. You might have to adjust it back and forth to find the the best setup.
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       06-11-2012, 11:51 AM Reply   
I was told this boat loved front weight. All i konw is that i would be putting as much as i possible could. Im no pro and there is nothing that puts a bigger smile on my face than to just get booted off a big wake.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-11-2012, 11:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazosfreak05 View Post
I was told this boat loved front weight. All i konw is that i would be putting as much as i possible could. Im no pro and there is nothing that puts a bigger smile on my face than to just get booted off a big wake.
I am going off what the CIE crew has said. I think the CIE crew ran way more weight in the rear then the front. They had one of the biggest a clean looking wakes I have ever seen in a picture.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-11-2012, 1:18 PM Reply   
Yup unlike the 205V/Xstar hull that loved the bow weight, this hull likes it a little more rear heavy indeed.
Old     (Tino3)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-11-2012, 3:34 PM Reply   
Too many people hate on this website. We all share a common interest and should want to help a fellow rider get better. Right there with you Sip
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-11-2012, 4:53 PM Reply   
08 x-star with the mcx and big prop.

I put 2 500s in the rear hatches, and about 1200 lbs up front. Like stated before, the boat is better with a little more weight upfront.

Its money with about 3 or 4 people on board and a full tank of gas, but will start to have trouble planing with any more people than that and you'll have to move a couple people upfront or drain a little of the factory bal in the rear.

Have fun! That setup puts out one of my all time favorite wakes.
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-11-2012, 5:04 PM Reply   
I don't have too many wake pictures, but here's the best I could find with that setup
Attached Images

Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-11-2012, 11:04 PM Reply   
front

I\________/I
\_________/
back

i run mine like this plus 1000 stock with a bit of lead weight and about 3 people and the wake is very large

Last edited by gnarslayer; 06-11-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old    kx250frider617            06-11-2012, 11:12 PM Reply   
Just got back from the trip and WOW it was pretty intense compared to the tige 21V I have. The boat was having a very hard time getting on plane with just my small bags, I totally forgot we were at almost 6,000 foot elevation compared to sea level i normally ride. I was riding at 75 feet but I could clearly see the meat of the wake 5-7 feet behind me. Unfortunately I didn't bring the rope extensions.

As far as adding weight and sucking gas on someone else's boat, His family is the type were money isn't a problem so fuel consumption didn't matter. Also, it was just ANOTHER boat to them and they could care less, which sucks because I was like a kid in a candy store by being able to ride and hangout in a Xstar.