Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (keithowen)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-25-2012, 12:05 PM Reply   
Hey fellas - It's been a long while since I posted last. Finally gonna retire the '78 F150 from it's tuggin' duties. Thought I was pretty set on a v10 Excursion but am kind of rethinking not having a bed. What are you guys' experiences/thoughts of these three rigs? My budget is 10k so that puts me between the 2000 - 2004 years for the most part. Any bad years in there and anything specific I should look/watch out for when shopping? Thanks!
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-25-2012, 12:22 PM Reply   
I have a 2001 Excursion with a V-10. All-around fuel economy about 11-12 mpg. On highway, at 65, following another vehicle about 16-18. Front hubs are pneumatic, so if they don't lock with the switch, you need new hubs due to seals. Front u-joints are a wear item - every 80-90k miles. The engine does consume oil, so keep up on it. About a quart every 3-4k - more if towing a lot or at high speeds. Brake pulsing is fairly normal with cheap rotors. Expensive, cross drilled ones will stay true, but they are expensive. Fuel pump at about 125k is highly recommended. I replaced mine after failure - $75 parts and 2-hours. Spray PB blaster into engine fuse box every month to prevent corrosion and electrical gremlins. Relays can go out easily. If gremlins do occur, check fuses and then replace the associated relay. Most of the time this cures the problem. I purchased my Excursion with problems, cheap, and got them corrected over a couple of months. Since then, no issues at all. Great vehicle and you don't feel the trailer while towing. Parts are available, cheap, and there is plenty of room to turn a wrench. Great DIY vehicle.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-25-2012, 12:23 PM Reply   
I had a V-10 F350 and hated the motor. I've driven several RVs with V10s and they got the job done. But they do it while screaming along at high RPMs and sucking gas like nothing else. Some suggest that I just had a bad one, or a motor with problems. Maybe so. I probably wouldn't buy another one. Personally, I'd look for an older, mid 90s F 250 or 350 with a 7.3sd. They can be had in the 10-13K range.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-25-2012, 12:40 PM Reply   
Don't get the V10. Get the diesel. If you can find an older 250 or 350 with the 7.3L Powerstroke you will be stoked on it. Motor is bullet proof, better milage, and longer life than the V10.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-25-2012, 2:21 PM Reply   
Neither, in those years get the 8.1/Allison combo....
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-25-2012, 2:52 PM Reply   
Don't get the Excursion with the V10, you will hate it and you will be kicking yourself for not buying a diesel the first time. We have had these for work and they are pigs.

Years 2000-2004 you will have to figure out which of the 3 engine choices to get, 7.3 is probably in your price range and those motors run well. Be sure to keep a spare cam shaft positioning sensor and wrench in your glove box, notorious for going out on these motors.

I have an Excursion with the 7.3 as well as a motorhome with the 7.3 and they have been good strong workhorses with about 115,000 miles on each.

I also have a 2003 f350 with the 6.0 in it and it has been a little bit different.

6 EGR valves
3 Turbochargers
1 Intercooler
Old     (keithowen)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-25-2012, 6:23 PM Reply   
Any thoughts on the 6.0 liter gas chevy/gmc? I've found a few with 8.1 allison combo but it seemed like over kill and I know very little about it. I'm also kind of soured on the diesel deal all the way around - had a '97 powerstroke for about a year and did nothing but sink money into it. I'll only put a max of 5,000 miles a year on the truck so the parts/maintenance/fuel costs for the diesel didn't really seem viable even though I'd save some mpg's.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-25-2012, 8:16 PM Reply   
8.1 all day over the 6.0. Same mileage but way more power. Usually you can find good deals on the 8.1 because people are afraid of the mileage. When towing
the 8.1 will actually get better mileage. I personally would not consider a 6.0 at all. Unless you found the perfect truck at a good price.
Old     (skuhleman)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-26-2012, 5:25 AM Reply   
I have a 2000 sierra 2500 with the 6.0L and I love it. Yea it sucks gas but this truck has needed the least amount of maintenance of any vehicle I have ever had. Mine is fixing to hit 300k still runs and pulls the boat like a champ. Now if your pulling a new G23 lol your gonna want the duramax. I average 13 mpg not towing and 11 while towing. But my boat and trailer are around 4500lbs.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-26-2012, 5:53 AM Reply   
Ditto on the 8.1. Best pulling gas truck I have ever driven. I loved mine (2005 Yukon XL 2500)....I sure am going to miss it. I did a Blackbear custom tune and it really woke it up. I would imagine the trucks with the Allison behind it are even better.