Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-25-2010, 8:02 PM Reply   
I broke my foot two weeks ago. It is the bone that connects to the little toe. Who here has had a similar injury? How long was recovery? Did you do anything special?
this is ultra weak. I am all layed out, and the season is starting.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-26-2010, 12:35 AM Reply   
i blew my knee out at the beginning of the season in '07. you will find things to do with your time, trust me. you will be a professional boat driver like i was.

the bone you broke.. was it the metatarsal bone? if it is the one that connects to the little toe than it is called a Jones fracture. i broke the second, third, and fourth metatarsal in my right foot last semester and i was out for eight weeks. i had to have a cast for six weeks and a boot for two weeks. and i got back out on the water about a month afterward....

this is what Wiki has to say about Jones fracture:

Treatment

If a Jones fracture is not significantly displaced, it can be treated with a cast, splint or walking boot for four to eight weeks. Patients should not place weight on the foot until instructed by their doctor. Three-fourths of fractures treated like this should heal.

In the case of acute fracture in an athlete, a dynamic compression plate can be placed on the tension side of the fracture, K-Wire with Monofiament wire in a figure 8 fashion due to the nature of a transverse fracture. Internal fixation with cortical or cancellous screw would require an oblique fracture that could be addressed through "The rule of 2's" in regards to Internal fixation with screws.

Other treatments commonly encouraged are increased intake of vitamin C and calcium.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-26-2010, 9:05 AM Reply   
I broke my big toe last summer training Jiu Jitsu and its' been about 10 months and it's STILL bad. I rode on it all last year til late fall, trained jiu jitsu until January and thought it would heal up by spring. The first set of the year in early April it jacked up again.

Long recovery. it's not unbearable to ride but I can't do **** on my toeside without a lot of pain.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-26-2010, 2:26 PM Reply   
looking at my cat scan disc, the last three metatarsels. ones really messed up, but the other two are still in place, but fractured all the way through. see the doc tomorrow, and we will see whats up.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-26-2010, 5:39 PM Reply   
I broke one of my metatarsels a few years ago. It took my about 4 weeks then I taped the hell out of it and rode through the pain. Seasons in WI are short and 4 weeks was all I could bear missing.