Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-23-2003, 6:53 AM Reply   
According to our friends at “on the edge” they own Lake San Vicente and so have special privileges to the course and lake.
So in the future, please call “on the edge” two days prior to going to San V to ask them if its ok, to use their lake.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-23-2003, 7:09 AM Reply   
Who said this and in what context?
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-23-2003, 7:24 AM Reply   
Can't wait to see where this is going!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-23-2003, 7:40 AM Reply   
Sunday evening, they told us themselves. I have 4 other witness's too. But we just laughed.
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-23-2003, 7:50 AM Reply   
Let me guess, Bruce bought out the COSD Water Department.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-23-2003, 8:14 AM Reply   
Apparently,
Old    akman            06-23-2003, 9:01 AM Reply   
Blahahahahahahaahahahahaha
hahahaahahahahaahhahaahaha
hahahahahahahaahahahahahaa
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
haahahahahahhahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahhahhahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Public lake with absolutely NO SPECIAL privileges for anyone.
Old     (rymcd007)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-23-2003, 9:39 AM Reply   
Someone's been hitting the corncob pipe a little too hard...
Old    stormrider            06-23-2003, 9:50 AM Reply   
That is totally unbelievable. The unmitigated gall! How many times do some people have to have things explained to them? On the Edge doesn't own San V . . . I do!!

Then again, if they own the lake, do you think we can get them to extend the main ramp, reopen the concession stand, ban tubers, lower the lake rental fee to $100 and start a "Thursday's Free" promotion?
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-23-2003, 11:49 AM Reply   
Well Kris, if it's any consolation the boat owner came over to me and apologized for the boys from On The Edge. He was embarrassed that they were so rude to you guys.

Basically Kris was in the slalom course late yesterday afternoon doing a run when this black Mastercraft comes cruising into the area with some guy barefooting. When Kris approached them about it they just laughed and claimed that yes, they do own the whole lake (and no they didn't have a slalom pass).

Later as we were wiping down the boats I heard them say "should have bought a Mastercraft instead of a Nautique" - Kris was in a Nautique 2001. Nice going guys, way to represent the dealership!
Old    stormrider            06-23-2003, 12:00 PM Reply   
We gotta get a truce going with the On the Edge guys. I've seen some posts on other threads, not here, ripping those guys. So they probably see Wakeworld people, us, etc. and we end up with bad blood that nobody can really figure out-- except that it's going back and forth and yesterday Kristian took the brunt of it.

I'm over at OTE pretty often and they're alright. Now that doesn't mean I'm buying a Mastercraft cuz I'm this close to an Air 210.

Anyway, OTE crew, I hope you know what I mean, cuz I do not want this kinda stuff ON MY LAKE, dammit!

I'm thinking of renaming the lake to Lake Steven E. Cowen!!!

Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-23-2003, 12:12 PM Reply   
Steve, I'm pretty sure that they didn't know anyone on Kris' boat (well it's not his boat obviously) so I don't think that's the issue. They were really being jerks between what they did and how they acted once they pulled the boat out.

And if you did decide to buy a Mastercraft I would hope that you wouldn't deal with OTE - I've only heard horror stories and never any good things, plus I've experienced how rude and arrogant Bruce can be first hand.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-23-2003, 12:39 PM Reply   
I had an incident with them where they jacked up the price of a boat I had a deposit on above their advertised price, after the fact. I ended up having to stop payment on my check, which they claimed had "already been processed". I haven't been back since... don't particularly care for the way they do business. The funny thing is, I'll probably be buying a Nautique rather than a Mastercraft when I go for a new boat, mostly because I liked the Nautique dealer better than them, not because I like the boats that much better.
-Monkey
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-23-2003, 12:47 PM Reply   
Actually, come to think of it, I wasn't particularly thrilled with the Mastercraft dealership in Elsinore either. Some guy named "Dana" said he wouldn't sell me the boat I was looking at... something about "you don't want that one. I won't even sell it to you. This <more> one is what you really want..." But at least no money was exchanged.

-Monkey
Old     (scottie_k)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-24-2003, 11:23 AM Reply   
Our deepest apologies, I guess one of our apprentice mechanics was acting like an idiot this past weekend on Sunday! He has a bigger mouth than brains. We decided to punish him for his actions and place it out there for you to see, shaved his head and made him wear a sundress at work(see attachment). In No Way are his actions condoned by Bruce or any other staff @ "On The Edge!"

Punishing Kevin
Old    ridinhigh            06-24-2003, 12:02 PM Reply   
Just exactly what did your customers say when they walked in and saw your mechanic in a sundress? Might as well hang a sign on your window that says "We have an A$$ for a mechanic!" That'll bring em' running into the dealership to buy boats/gear/service. Maybe I'm old fashioned but a simple explanation and an apology is about all that is warranted. If people accept it than great, if not than so be it there's nothing more you can do. On another note I must admire the courage you have to publicly humiliate this guy to try and make ammends, not my style, but nevertheless gutsy...
Old    randall600            06-24-2003, 12:24 PM Reply   
Just to cap off this event with a period...I was driving the "famed" black Mastercraft that this event occured from. My friend owns this boat and we surf, wakeboard, water ski and (he) barefoots weekly at San Vincente reservoir. Neither he nor I have ANY association with On the Edge with the exception that the boat was purchased from them. We have no interest in a boat rivalry battle, nor do we act like "X-games pro's". We are both 38 year old men and we still cheer each time we clear the wake on the wake board. We regularly buy a pass and use the restricted private pass area in question. The boat owner's first boat was a classic Correct Craft (read early Ski Natique)and we both love the memories that we created using that boat. No Master Craft domination theory here.

On this day at the peak there were 70 boats on the lake, no passes were available. We didn't drop in until after 4:30 PM and didn't visit the private area until after 6:00PM. At this time there was probably eight boats remaining on the entire lake. We pulled my friend (barefooting) toward the entrance of the restricted area and saw the other boat, stopped and asked if they would mind if we pulled through ahead of them. They replied that this was for those who have passes only and we dont have one. We had picked up a third rider and his friend at the parking lot (see his likliness in the previous post)...I had never met them before but they were cool enough.. young guy's...(yes with some attitude) Normal for thier age. They made a quick rebuttal to the "no permit" statement, we got over it and decided to take a barefoot fun after they had pulled ahead of us.

When we got to the doc to pull out, we were greeted by the friendly Ranger who asked us to be nicer in the future, which we agreed to be. I guess that it really got to the other boater because all day they had been "dropped in on" by non-pass holding boaters. I can understand that.

I appologised to whom I thought was the boat driver whom we had offended, but It was his friend from another boat. Nice guy's...no attitude. I did not overhear any anti-Natique comments at the doc, however if they were overheard, I appologize for them as well, they were not from me or the boat owner.

Regarding the Owner of On The Edge, Bruce...In my limited experience, he is fair, honest, NICE, ethical and is in business to make a profit and deliver a excellent quality product. He told me that he is the exclusive Master Craft dealer in the area but there are several other quality products that are available from other dealers. No attitude, no rivalry, no story.

I personally enjoy the watersport community, I don't particularly appreciate human nature all the time, especially when an online bulletin board is involved. Sometimes it can get out of hand and damage reputations and create barriers where none otherwise exist. Have fun this summer, get rad and pull off back flips. We will.

Randall
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-24-2003, 1:56 PM Reply   
Well, I guess you get points for honesty and not denying the fact that you were pulling a barefooter (40mph+?) through the lengthy 5 mph zone and into the "permit only" course area (while there was someone up and wakeboarding!). Truly disturbing. I guess this wouldn't bother you at all if you were in the course with a paid-for permit and up and riding?
Old    stormrider            06-24-2003, 2:01 PM Reply   
Randall and Scott's points need to be heard: nobody wants rivalries, attitudes or "us vs. them" stuff. We're all in agreement on that. Wakeboarding community is about as small as our 1 lake so it's in our best interests to keep the vibe good since 1/2 the fun of riding is going out and seeing who else is out.

Scott, I thought the dress idea was perfect. Randall, I'm glad to hear Bruce is mellowing cuz, man, he's snarled just about all of us at one time or another!
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-24-2003, 2:12 PM Reply   
Randall's "points" have been heard loud and clear. It is not about "rivalries, attitudes or 'us vs. them' stuff" but rather about blatant disregard for lake rules and regulations as well as the interests and safety of fellow lake users (fellow hardcore wakeboarders, no less!). How in the world this can "keep the vibe good" is beyond my comprehension, and these sound like people I have no interest in "going out and seeing" at the lake.

As to On the Edge Watersports, I appreciate Scott's efforts to apologize for OTE's employees' claims (both in action and words) that they "own" the lake, even if his attempt to make light of it may contradict that apology or diminish whatever faith someone may have in OTE's service abilities. But reputations (at least as persistent as in this case) are generally earned for a reason and I can only say that I have been treated by Bruce in a manner that would prevent me from ever stepping foot into that shop, and these employees seem to be perfect representatives of that entity.
Old     (scottie_k)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-24-2003, 4:03 PM Reply   
Yes Paul, Thanks for your comments!
Old    viabaja            06-24-2003, 7:30 PM Reply   
Good comments Paul!
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-25-2003, 11:21 PM Reply   
So let's see...they were barefooting so I'm assuming they were speeding (lake speed limit is 35mph), and doing it through a 5mph zone, and they entered the slalom course without a permit while someone was in the middle of their run. And then to top it off they were rude instead of just apologizing.
Old    ricktrav            06-26-2003, 7:19 PM Reply   
I'm the owner of the Natique and what pissed me off is that we shared the course all day with other boats and waited our turn to ride. and finaly when the last boat left we tried to get everyone there "SECOND" run, we got to the last rider on his LAST PASS when we look and here comes a boat in the course pulling a rider. so we go over and tell them it's a restricted aera and you need a pass. they say they have one and we say no you don't we just watche the other three boats leave. and they said we own the lake, then asked if they can pull in front of us? then did pull in front of us.so I left.

randall just put yourself in our place would you like it if we did that to you?