Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            11-17-2007, 6:18 PM Reply   
Check the fan on my backside lipslide! :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            11-17-2007, 6:21 PM Reply   
The weather and water temperature weren't condusive to pushing hard and James just started wrestling practice two days ago...he's feeling a liitle stiff. :-)

Overall I was pleased with the way it rode.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            11-17-2007, 6:23 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            11-17-2007, 7:01 PM Reply   
Dennis is able to ride anything - he's pretty amazing on a board. What I was most interested in was if he would dent this board.

Not a dent! The high density foam does provide great impact and dent resistance. The d-cel is rather lifeless, so I'm looking forward to the performance with core-cell, Rohecall and the Balsa also.

The construction methodology is viable for a garage builder. It offers, IMO, significantly more options for engineering the ride. One option being the skin choice, another is a glass schedule and the perimeter rails can be constructed from various materials to meet the riders needs/style.

More subtle changes can be accomplished by the choice of epoxy - stiff to flexible and also to seal or not seal sections of the eps core.

The technology allows substantial customization and I think, greater impact and dent resistance, as well as, lower weight.

Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-17-2007, 8:17 PM Reply   
Jeff, looks like an excellent outing and conclusion to an excellent project.

What you're developing is a laundry list of implementation options. Many of these approaches might not be for the recreational surfer and may not be something that can or should be brought to market. However, if one or more combinations or concepts are worthy then it's a whole different type of activity to take it to market.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-17-2007, 8:18 PM Reply   
The port locker looks a little full.
Old    surfdad            11-18-2007, 5:26 AM Reply   
Thanks Ed, I appreciate that compliment coming from you.

That stupid darkside! :-) I broke the gas assist strut on the darskide locker and I keep foregetting to replace it, hence the bungee cord. We "require" Dennis to sit in the rear corner on all surf outings, but when it was his turn to surf, the darkside the wake just wasn't as clean...not that darkside surfers shouldn't expect that :-), but still...we thought we'd clean it up for him :-) It's a fat buddy, maybe half full on top of our custom fat sac. I just told Don, I think that it's 1,200 - 1,225 of water ballast.

The board that I just finished is basically a knock off of the Surftech construction process, with the exception that I'm sure they are using a mold. The materials and the glass and resin schedule I'm sure is very close...and the result was an exceptionally stiff board. In small waves, like what we have behind the boat, stiff boards work well. The fully wrapped high density foam, is nice for around the boat too...anyone that has put a pressure dent in a custom poopee or even an epoxy board knows how easy it is to dent them. This one isn't indestructible, but 5 pound density foam stands up to impacts better than 2 pound density foam...probably 2.5 times better :-)

In reading the marketing hype about this construction process (Firewire, Surftech, Lost, etc) it sounds incredibly difficult and out of the realm of backyarders. I just wanted to prove, to myself first and to others that it really isn't as complicated as all that.

I would also think, as you point out Ed, that when you move away from a standard poopee based construction process, you open up the door to tons of options, so many that it truly is a bit overwhelming. I will be testing 4 skin material options, but even those can be refined...3mm bottom, 5mm top for example. Like you say Ed, recreationally - give me a board that works for everyone and that won't break EVER. :-) From a high end user standpoint things like "Give me 1.7 times more flex on the right front 18.5 inches of the board on the bottom compared to the top" are doable - not that anyone would request it, but...a custom shop could build such a board.

I've talked with so many incredibly talented and brillant folks out there and it would NOT surprize me that one of them has an idea like this that when implemented will create a magic stick.

Anyway...great fun, as you know...I hope that someday in the not too distant future we see someone or some business offering custom orders on bagged boards for behind the boat with exotic materials and builds.

(Message edited by surfdad on November 18, 2007)