Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-07-2004, 9:32 PM Reply   
My left (lead) ankle is giving me a bit of trouble since I over-pronated it a couple of weeks ago on a landing (or rather, crash).

It doesn't HURT, it's just sore, and I was thinking back to ankle taping for basketball and how much that helped after I sprained ankle.

Has anyone used tape and then put on your board? Did it help with your problem? Any other solutions? Looking for some current feedback.}

By the way, I checked the archives on this topic and saw that one person's solution was "millwrap tape." What is this?
Old     (premier135rider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-08-2004, 5:03 AM Reply   
its fine man,i have done it before and it helps alot
Old    whitechocolate            09-08-2004, 7:39 AM Reply   
I was looking threw a water ski mag 2 months ago and it had one of the top water ski guys that taped the hell out of his ankle before each set. then he would cut it off. It looked like a old cast when he was finished taking it off. They said he would go threw like a mile of duct tape each season. It also looked like he would put somthing like clear plastic as a base that the duct tape sat on top of. Im sure it made takeing the tape off much less painfull
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-08-2004, 7:52 AM Reply   
Ankle exercises seem to help me more than anything, even post injury. Building up the muscles in the ankles always seems to make the pains go away.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-08-2004, 7:54 AM Reply   
Caution!!!

I tried that, but may have been doing it wrong. It hurt like holy hell trying to get into the binding, and about as bad getting out. I think I may have done more harm than good.

Just be sure your bindings can handle the extra bulk and use a lot of binding lube.

Good luck, bad ankles are no fun.

Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-08-2004, 9:06 AM Reply   
Thanks for the tips. I haven't done any real damage (torn or partially torn ligaments), so I'm stretching a lot and doing some ankle PT exercises. I have inversion sprained this same ankle twice in the past (basketball), so I think strengthening will be the key - the tape would definitely make me feel a little more confident though.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       09-09-2004, 12:19 PM Reply   
I have thought about taping my ankle. However, couldn't it cause more damage if you get ripped out of your bindings.
Old    jojomantor            09-09-2004, 5:30 PM Reply   
the only time i taped my foot was when i had stitches ont my heel
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-09-2004, 7:21 PM Reply   
Jeigh Krupp - -

Wouldn't the tape prevent and awkward torque-ing of the ankle even if you were ejected?
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-09-2004, 8:08 PM Reply   
Tape due to its bulkiness would more than likely not let the ankle "pop" out of the binding.
It may cause an awkward torque on the joints above the ankle......aka fractures of the long bones, disruption of knee ligaments.
Old    jojomantor            09-09-2004, 9:01 PM Reply   
i really did not see the difference
Old     (premier135rider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-10-2004, 5:15 AM Reply   
yea i couldn't tell a difference, and i rode for about a month taping my ankle and never had a problem with just one foot coming out.
Old     (blackcreek)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-10-2004, 7:59 AM Reply   
I saw someone mention duct tape-If you're going to do it, use some pre-wrap and athletic tape. May not be a bad idea to let a trainer do it the first time to show you the right way.
Old     (bradb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-13-2004, 1:37 PM Reply   
Jade,
I know a bunch of people that tape their ankle with pre-wrap and athletic tape, but then cover it with duct tape. They say it makes it easier to get into and out of the bindings and it won't come apart in the water.
B