Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old    xander            06-05-2003, 12:40 PM Reply   
Any comments out there about wakeboarding unleashed? I've been playing it for 2 days now, and I like it but I think they kind of missed the idea of wakeboardig. Is it just me or do they seem intent on making you have to rail and boardslide everything. I would of liked it if they had just an open water run, even it was just a freeride track that you could practice your moves on. I find that the tracks I've played so far have so many obstacles in them that your not so much as doing tricks off the wake as you are doing them off obstacles. There was a comment in another post about the lack of any create a player which would of been cool. Would love to see myself pull off some sick tricks. Anyways, I like the game. Not the best extreme sport game out there but its good.
Old     (stevem)      Join Date: May 2002       06-05-2003, 1:07 PM Reply   
I agree with your comments Alexander. I have only played the first course at Lake Powell so far, but there are so many obstacles that you can't really just enjoy yourself learning the tricks. I think they should have a free-ride selection that allows you to ride in wide open water for as long as you want to practice or learn the tricks. But then again, I am not a big fan of sliders/rails anyway (snowboarding or wakeboarding) so my view might be warped compared to the skater crowd.

Also, I not really sure what the point of the boat free drive is either. Just drive around in circles at Powell?

It is still a very fun game and worth $50. I like how the boat sponsor changes to match the rider you select. Also, the work done with the water graphics is excellent.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       06-05-2003, 1:38 PM Reply   
You think Powell is bad? Wait till you get to the bayou. There isn't a stretch of water wider than where the house boats are in Powell. I thought the demo was better, but this one is definitely harder. I think the object is less to score points and more to meet objectives.
Old    xander            06-05-2003, 7:23 PM Reply   
been playing it pretty hard today. I changed to parks cause he can rail/slide better and have been able to make it to florida. Having one hell of a time trying to bust 150,000 points in a run thats cluttered with sliders and I don't know what the big point tricks are. Still a cool game having tons of fun with it. Anyone find some cheats, I want to see the videos :-)
Old     (liquidforce)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-05-2003, 10:25 PM Reply   
made it to belize sooo fun!!!
Old    xander            06-06-2003, 8:29 AM Reply   
Danny, were you able to nail the 150,000 points in florida?
Old     (michaelb14)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-06-2003, 8:49 AM Reply   
I got the 150,000 point in Florida.

I would do a grab up onto the huge slider. Slide up it and do a raley and a grab off of it. Land on a slider on a way down. Then manual, do a raley off the half pipe, and land and slide the other half pipe, do an invert off the half pipe to a manual. THen repeat the whole process...

Now it took me like 25 tries to make that happen.
Old    cws_kahuna            06-06-2003, 9:21 AM Reply   
I really enjoy the game. I had a blast doing the 2 player modes. Driving the boat while the other player is riding is a blast. The career mode is not bad because there is a lot of mix up to keep the game going in different ways. As for the many many many sliders in the levels, I bet a lot of it had to do with the trend in wakeboarding today. All the videos and magazines are all about crazy slider tricks now days.

Maybe for a more open level they could have put in competitions between maybe every 3 levels, like in Tony Hawk there were the regular levels but also competitions at the skate parks. They could have used the same layout as the pro wakeboard tour and then the boat would do the double ups and the course would have only a few sliders. I think it also would have been cool to be able to maybe buy stuff for the boat like extra ballast. A create a player would have been great too.

I think for the first attempt this game is great. Hopefully it will sell a lot of copy's and we will see a second version of this game with some of the things missed in this game.

Michael, that trick must have taken forever to pull off.

Any codes yet to unlock all levels?
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       06-06-2003, 9:45 AM Reply   
Anyone else made it to Hong Kong yet? That level rocks!
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-06-2003, 10:13 AM Reply   
You guys must be serious PS2 junkies. OK, probably its more like I have no PS2 skills. I got the game last night and played it for the first time. I can't even get past Powell.

How do you "use the wake to ride the secret rail"?

I finished all the other grooves, but that one is killing me. The boat goes around a turn and you get caught up in the right hand slider and can't seem to get any momentum to get over to the secret slider on the left.

(maybe I have the wrong slider).

btw, I agree with your posts about the obstacles getting in the way. Heck, I'm having a hard enough time just getting w2w moves down. I would really be surprised if some cheats don't come out later to put the boat into an endless "freeride" mode. Game developers would use something like that while they are tweaking out the animations for all the moves.

Also, I think the opening video is probably better than 90% of the wakeboarding videos I have.
Old    mikermetal            06-06-2003, 10:31 AM Reply   
Hey, you know the tricks with hand beside them Eg. Mobe 900 special. how do you do them cause I just can't figure them out,
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       06-06-2003, 10:41 AM Reply   
Chaun,

To ride the secret rail at Powell you have to cut up to that red boat, ollie on the rail at the end where it starts to curve around, and let go of the handle. If you have enough speed you will make it all the way through.

The Springfield area has wider levels, it is easier to do big wake to wake stuff.

In the co-op mode (which is really cool) the Powell course is setup differently and there is a nice stretch of water along the side of the out of bounds markers where it is slider and obstacle free.
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       06-06-2003, 10:49 AM Reply   
Oh yeah, my review..

Great game if your an avid wakeboarder, still very fun if you aren't. Could have used a create a rider option, more riders to choose from, and a create-a-course (like THPS) would have been cool as well..

I know this is a matter of personal preference, but the soundtrack BLOWS!! Yes, there are a couple of decent songs, but overall I would have to give it a D-. Molly frickin' Hatchet?!?!
Old    nat3060            06-06-2003, 11:28 AM Reply   
anyones got the codes yet?
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-06-2003, 11:35 AM Reply   
I'm with you on the soundtrack sucking some serious ass. I loaded my own music real quick.
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-06-2003, 11:43 AM Reply   
Craig, maybe I have been trying the wrong rail. The one I thought was the "secret" rail was in the canyon toward the end of the run.

Are you talking about the triple rail right after the houseboat section. I have made it through that section, but I lost the boat at the very end of it. I'll confirm that tonight and get through it. :-)

My hands might be too sore to ride this weekend from all the WU, I be playin.

Thanks
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       06-06-2003, 12:07 PM Reply   
The hands moves are ones you do when you let go of the handle. they are easier off of the quarter pipes. You first let go of the handle then do the directions in order. if it is up down circle then tap up, then hold down while you push the circle.
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       06-06-2003, 12:36 PM Reply   
Sorry Chaun, I was thinking of a different challenege on that level.

The secret rail you are talking about will be on your left when you enter the canyon. You can either bust a huge move off the wake (right to left), and let go of the handle in mid jump to land on the rail (timing must be good). You can also hit it off of the halfpipe sitting to the right of it, but you may not have enough speed to complete the grind that way.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       06-06-2003, 12:50 PM Reply   
Or you can hit it from the other side, but you have to be really good to do that.

(Message edited by canaday on June 06, 2003)
Old    trpngbily7            06-06-2003, 1:35 PM Reply   
So far I'm really enjoying the game. I also wish there was a create a rider/level option but hopefully there will be a second one and that will be in that! I just have two questions...has anybody figured out any special moves yet (and if so what are they?!) and Scott...how did you load your own music? Can you do that on the Xbox? That would be soooooweet! Take care everyone
Old     (sn0w)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-06-2003, 5:22 PM Reply   
Is there a second coming out??
Old    wblind180            06-06-2003, 5:33 PM Reply   
I made it to the boneyard it is so cool
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-06-2003, 7:02 PM Reply   
Ya, xbox has the ability to load your own soundtrack, I think you can do it on all games.
Old    chase            06-06-2003, 7:52 PM Reply   
I am ashamed to admit it, but I have like 70% done and all the levels unlocked and almost beat. With that said let me assure you that the rest will really tick me off! This game is hard! I really need a perfect balance code if it's out there because I am about to explode!
Old    chase            06-06-2003, 7:53 PM Reply   
By the way, I have the music volume all the way down. The soundtrack is horrible!
Old    xtremebordgurl            06-06-2003, 8:18 PM Reply   
I've gotten all the way to Timber Lake, haven the toughes't time gett'n past that one!! If anyone has unlocked all the levels let me know. Personally, of all the activision line up I personally think this one is the best, its such an in depth game thats fun for everbody, in Venice and Hong Kong there are PLENTY of oppotunites to do just wake stuff. I've been able to do a bunch of wake stuff in all the levels.... but then again my last day of school was tues. and my boat STILL ISN'T in the water yet!!!! So basically this is all of done in the past couple of days, besides sleep and work.
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       06-06-2003, 8:19 PM Reply   
create a course would be cool, also i dont like how when you drive over your own wake to do a double up or something the boat just plows right through it like there is nothing there, i thought the water in splashdown was better looking tho.
Old    ridehyco            06-06-2003, 10:43 PM Reply   
When in the two player mode, you can make the rider jump and land in the boat and he does this trick called "free loader" The rider just sits in the boat and cheers. ITs really funny...

ANd for those of you who havent played many "Tony Hawk-esque" games like this. I've played and beat all four tony hawk games. The key to scoring big points in this game just like all the others is stringing out combos. MAnual onto a slider...invert off the slider into a manual...spin to manual...to invert to manual

or basically to make a long story short b4 you jump...manual and when you land...manual.

it'll make yer thumbs hurt....but you score huge!!! :-)

H
Old    ridehyco            06-06-2003, 11:26 PM Reply   
Another thought...

Wonder how many copies of this game they will sell?

H
Old    trpngbily7            06-07-2003, 7:42 AM Reply   
So how do you load your own soundtrack? Or is there a website that someone can point me to that explains it? Thanks!
Old    trpngbily7            06-07-2003, 9:11 AM Reply   
Well i figured out how to create a soundtrack on the xbox, but how do I load it into the game?
Old     (soonerboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-07-2003, 9:53 AM Reply   
I can't beleive no one has said this:

In the Bayou, when you go by a fisherman, some of them say, "You're skeering the fish!"

I couldn't play for like 5 minutes after I heard that, I was laughing so hard.

This game is a lot of fun. I like it more that TH. I found that you don't need a wide cut to go big, just a little bit. Hit the double tap on the directional and release X right at the lip and you go huge.

I somehow did the freeloader trick on Florida. It was pretty funny!

This game is cool. I imagine we'll see another in a couple of years.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-08-2003, 5:36 AM Reply   
Chris, when I went to load my songs, it had found them already, and I just had to go in and put checks in the boxes... one word, though, if you don't label each individual song as you're going through it gets confusing because when you're looking to load the music in the game, they're just labeled track 1, track 2, etc...
Old    xander            06-08-2003, 7:55 AM Reply   
yah I accidently found the freeloader, got run over the boat and he hoped in, pretty funny. Yah, the music blows hard chunks, pretty bad. Activision is pretty good at getting a strong soundtrack for games but this one is lame. I wish ps2 had the option like xbox to load your own soundtrack...

Codes, need Codes!!!
If anyone finds them post them in this discussion or start a new one.

Anyone find the board upgrades?
Old    ridehyco            06-08-2003, 8:20 AM Reply   
I kinda liked the soundtrack...

H
Old    warlock00            06-08-2003, 10:21 AM Reply   
xander, I got one extra board for completely finishing florida. I have finished several of the challenges and objectives on the other levels, but not the gaps. So I am thinking you have to finish everything to get a new board. Some of these gaps are really tough!!!

I also got the freeloader trick last night...accidently landed in the boat after it made a turn and I was already in the air. pretty funny.

Old    brianthomas            06-08-2003, 11:13 AM Reply   
Which system do you guys have it for? Have you found any problems with the xbox controller for this game?
Old    kid4jah            06-08-2003, 6:19 PM Reply   
Question just bought the game the other day and i was im on the bayou level or however you spell it how do you manuel that the 100 ft pipe?
Old    xander            06-08-2003, 7:23 PM Reply   
I've got the ps2 version of the game, and find that I use the digital analog, or whatever you want to call it rather than the analog joystick. Lets me get the tricks off easier. Whats the xbox controller like? Never liked the xbox controller that much.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-08-2003, 7:43 PM Reply   
How in the hell do you pass the 20 second combo in Florida?? I have tried and tried and just went to the next level.
Old    ernie_mckn            06-08-2003, 8:38 PM Reply   
ride the wall, then jump to the slider in florida for the 20 sec combo
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-08-2003, 10:45 PM Reply   
got the game 2 days ago, 92 % w/ parks, started collin wright today and am at 54 %, games a ton of fun.
Old    warlock00            06-09-2003, 7:07 AM Reply   
Skydog are you using the cheats? Or just playing that much? I got it Friday, and got to about 35% with Shapiro, and am at about 22% on the 2 player co-op, but only played 2 player for a couple of hours.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-09-2003, 7:22 AM Reply   
This game is average, but hell it's wakeboarding! Got to the Delta(second one) with Parks first night. Definatley not as hard as Ton Hawk's first started. Enough with the sliders though. I would change/add alot, but I am stoked to be playing parks no mater what.
Old     (michaelb14)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-09-2003, 7:44 AM Reply   
92%?

I have opened up every level, and only at 57%. I would be a whole lot farther if I could do all the gaps.

The game seems easy to me also, but since it uses the same controls as Tony Hawk series, there was no learning curve. It was easy to pick up and play...

You should be allowed to do butter slides.

Have you guys noticed any bugs? I have the xBox version and I have noticed a couple of issues. The game pretty much locked up a couple times. Also on the co-op game ont he 2nd level, we hit the giant slider and the rider seemed to just stick in the air for like 30 seconds. I even quit driving the boat and just sat there watching the rider do like a 180,000 degree spin worth over 2,000,000 points. He doesn't come back down like a normal jump. He just would appear on the water all of a sudden.
Old    warlock00            06-09-2003, 10:35 AM Reply   
I guess that makes it easy to get the insane score?

Mine has locked up a couple times, and has just froze up for a second and then kept on going...

the gaps are the hardest part I think.

Old    xander            06-09-2003, 1:33 PM Reply   
Ok, this game is amazing, I'm now totally addicted to it. I used the cheats to get all the gaps and the 2nd and 3rd board and all the levels. I don't care, I wanted to try the other levels. Wow, Ocean world is amazing. You can actually do wake jumps land a rail, manual, wake jump etc... with in the confines of the level with out hitting some obstacle... looks cool too. Anyone able to boardslide the entire coaster? That and has anyone unlocked any of the movies?

Man this game is great, can't wait for the second version.
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-09-2003, 1:46 PM Reply   
no cheats. havnt even looked for one.
Old    xander            06-09-2003, 4:08 PM Reply   
Skydog96, I'm glad you feel so proud of yourself, here's your award, congradulations, if you see any cheats on the way out can you let me know... :-)
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-09-2003, 4:35 PM Reply   
ya i am pretty proud. lol , just wish i could ride as good as i play. umm i think theres a discusiion just about cheats. i kinda dispise them.. but they can be fun. rock on..
Old    brianthomas            06-09-2003, 5:07 PM Reply   
For those of you who have xbox do you play it with the control stick or the d pad?
Old    helix_36            06-09-2003, 5:16 PM Reply   
does anybody in Canada have it? Or know if its around up here?
Old    warlock00            06-10-2003, 7:12 AM Reply   
skydog I am with you I dont want to use the cheats unless I have to...I am to hong kong and have not had to yet...we will see.
Old    xander            06-10-2003, 7:55 AM Reply   
Yah, I got it and am in Ontario, I got it from futureshop. Try EB, they'll probably have it. If you can't find it order it online. EB online pays for your taxes and shipping I think... www.ebgames.ca it'll tell you.
Old     (michaelb14)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-10-2003, 7:55 AM Reply   
I have slide the whole red roller coaster...

Not going to use the cheats. Doing it the old fashio way. Those gaps are killing me.
Old     (columbiatch)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-10-2003, 11:43 AM Reply   
I bought the game last night and it's pretty cool. After about 7 hours, I'm over 50%.

The best tip for hitting the gaps or the tough sections is to go through all the levels and unlock the stat points. This way your rider will totally rock, and then you can go back and stomp all of the gaps.
Old    xtremebordgurl            06-10-2003, 11:52 AM Reply   
I've unlocked all the levels and have 68% with shaun Murray and 38% with Parks. Those gaps are tough though. How did you boardslide everything in Fl? I get through all the sliders but can never get across that last gap.
Old     (columbiatch)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-10-2003, 12:03 PM Reply   
Enter the slide with a lot of speed and use the double jump. That seems to help.

I also had to let go of the rope. So you grab to rope on the second one right after you lose it, and then let go on the third one. That's how I did it. It took me several tries.

(Message edited by columbiatch on June 10, 2003)
Old    xander            06-10-2003, 1:00 PM Reply   
is that florida, I can't board slide all the rails, I make it to the last rail, boardslide it come off of it and it says that I failed. Anyone else have the same problem. Dam this game is fun.
Old     (columbiatch)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-10-2003, 1:17 PM Reply   
I had it say that too for a couple of times. When you do get on the last slider, call for the rope again and let it pull you off the end-no jumping just to be safe. I got it when I manualed after the last slider so I stayed in a combo.
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-12-2003, 4:48 PM Reply   
hey bbr, the best way that I found to get through the 20 second combo is in between the grinds is to do a lot of manuals(to keep your man consistant without falling). It is kinda hard to get used to but it is really the only way. good luck! I have now idea how i did it but I did a HUGE combo trick and landed in the boat} in Springfield and no joking-it gave me 500,000 bonus points! I ended the run with 702,436 points.
Old    hlboatsnboards            06-12-2003, 5:42 PM Reply   
seen all the locations now, by far they saved the best for last! rollercoasters are just killa!!

B
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-12-2003, 7:59 PM Reply   
OK I JUST HAVE TO POST THIS NOW.......
I saw shaun enter this
cheat in person and conned it out of him after I explained my lazy tendancies.(SP?)
Foe xbox and ps2
UNLOCK EVERYTHING:
After press start screen:
U,D,U,D,U,D,U,D,U,D,L,R,L,R,L,R,L,R,L,R
this gives you EVERYTHING! 4th board is a jet board.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-12-2003, 8:00 PM Reply   
BTW, thanks to Zook for the code....I am still on PS1
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-16-2003, 4:48 PM Reply   
Can someone help me do the stupid power jump??? I accidentally got it once and I've progressed a good bit. However, I'm still not sure how to do the power jump in the training session. Is there a trick to it? -- Supraman on Fogey's computer
Old    bassboy8855            06-16-2003, 6:10 PM Reply   
The one that yanks my perverbial "chain" are those dam "bust 7 gaps in a run"..."bust 10 gaps in a run"... OMG, I sat there for dam near 3 hours on the bayou level doing this, then i worked with another charictor, got it the first try. So I quit and whent back to Dallas Friday (shes the one i use because she is so hot) and it took me like 2 hours!

Then I got to Timber Lake and saw "bust 10 gaps in one run" and though "Holy Crap!" Well, I got it the first time I played... on accident, there are just so many gaps in that level!

And yes, Dallas Friday is SO HOT, even in a friggin video game shes hot...

OK, i got a question too... How do I unlock the videos? I figured i should get at least one, because in finished all of the Objectives in all the levels. Do I have to get 100% for the whole game?

Dave
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-16-2003, 7:20 PM Reply   
has anyone gotten bored with it yet. i already stopped playing it and havnt played it in 4 days.
Old    kid4jah            06-16-2003, 7:21 PM Reply   
cheats?????
Old     (columbiatch)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-16-2003, 10:37 PM Reply   
Cheating sucks...just play the game. I haven't stopped yet but I need to because it's preventing me from finding a job. I'm supprised this game is taking me so long to beat. I finished 100% of THPS4 in like 2 days.

Skydog, have you gotten 100% yet? I assume you unlock a video of the rider that you beat it with? And I'm not sure when you get the 4th board but I'm thinking that you might get it when you complete all the Star Search challenges?? Because it keeps saying complete all 7 of the star searches.
Old    shanday            06-19-2003, 12:37 PM Reply   
All I know is that I'm not much of a gamer, I don't own a game console of any sort so no Wakeboarding Unleashed so.... I borrowed a PS2 and rented the game and I'm hooked, but is it worth it buy a console for one game?????
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-19-2003, 12:53 PM Reply   
My gosh, i just be a video game junkie, i've beaten the game with 4 different riders in only 3 weeks. The game is so easy but fun.
Old    brianthomas            06-19-2003, 12:58 PM Reply   
I have a gamecube and bought an xbox just for this game. You can get good deals if you look around. I got a factory refurbished one for 149.99.
Old    shanday            06-19-2003, 1:25 PM Reply   
Thanx Brian -- didn't think of that!!
Old    brianthomas            06-19-2003, 1:40 PM Reply   
Plus there are deals where you get free games and what not with the deal. I know electronic boutique was selling ps2 and xbox for 149.99, new, when you bought the system, a game, and an accessory. I would go the refurbished route, its practically brand new, I have had no problems. Its a sweet game, and with the xbox, you can listen to your own soundtrack because the one it comes with sucks. I have the boombox soundtrack and other songs for mine. IT makes it alot better.
Old     (skydog96)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-19-2003, 2:22 PM Reply   
naw ive gotten 97.4% gotten a few videos, i pretty much just ride freeride now.
Old    bassboy8855            06-19-2003, 3:31 PM Reply   
How do you get the videos?
Old     (wakeboardin)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-19-2003, 4:05 PM Reply   
I used the cheats to get the videos the u/d x5 ad l/r x5 works and then quit back to the main screen and then go to videos. I like to try and land on the jet skier's in the swamp screen. We try to have a contest on how many times we can gring on them.
Old    xtremebordgurl            06-19-2003, 5:59 PM Reply   
what is "u" or u/d up down? what screen are you on when you do the codes?
Old    flipside            06-22-2003, 2:17 PM Reply   
I used the cheat and just got a 6.6 million point trick...LOL!

FlipsidE