Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old    jbpetty6203            02-16-2009, 4:26 AM Reply   
Whats up people? Im about to purchase a tower for my 18ft bowrider Crownline. Its my first boat so just trying to get basics down before I go out and get a "real" wake boat. Anyway Im pretty much set on the DIY tower and just wondering what everyone thinks about tower finish? Polished, Black or White? I have a set of the Kicker KMT6's waiting on my bed to be installed when the tower gets here.... so just looking for people opinions??? Thanks guys and girls.
Old     (nosebleed)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-16-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
I did black powder coat on mine
Old     (pri3st)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-16-2009, 11:09 AM Reply   
I would go with polished, black or white.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-16-2009, 11:13 AM Reply   
x2 on the polished tower. Haven't had a good experience with powdercoating yet. However, there are some great people that know how to powdercoat. It's just something that will eventually chip. :-(
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-16-2009, 12:07 PM Reply   
Personally, I prefer powder coat to match. I feel it gives it the cleanest look.
Old    jbpetty6203            02-16-2009, 5:04 PM Reply   
What kinda up keep do I need to be worried about on the polished tower?? if any?
Old     (xmarksthespot)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-16-2009, 5:22 PM Reply   
have had a white PC tower on my Xstar for years...a good powder coating will not chip or fade...
Old     (nosebleed)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-16-2009, 5:35 PM Reply   
I agree 5 years and it looks like the day I got it
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-16-2009, 6:50 PM Reply   
My tower was painted black and has held up well over about 5 years.

I was thinking of getting some of the KMT6s to replace my old tower speakers myself. Where did you get yours if you don't mind me asking?
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-16-2009, 11:33 PM Reply   
I'm finished with my tower.
Old    jbpetty6203            02-17-2009, 12:05 AM Reply   
hey.. KMT6's if you want the cheapest ones and still have a warranty you gota check out www.cartronixplus.com for all your audio equipment. It may say they are out of stock if so just do what i did and call the 1 800 number and my speakers where at my house in three days.
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-17-2009, 6:56 AM Reply   
I recommend going polished or annodized.. Powder Coat or paint will chip, and you will have to wax and UV protect the tower on a regular basis..

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
www.bulletlines.com
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-17-2009, 6:58 AM Reply   
^^^ Second the anodizing. Don't know how it would look but you can also color anodize.
Old    get_sum            02-17-2009, 7:01 AM Reply   
POLISHED BLOWS.. I have a very similar boat with the DIY tower. I spent ALOT of time this winter just getting water spots and very small pits out of the aluminum. I'm thinking of powder coating mine next winter.

Upload
Upload
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-17-2009, 7:03 AM Reply   
I recommend going polished or annodized.. Powder Coat or paint will chip, and you will have to wax and UV protect the tower on a regular basis..

Luke,

The pitting was cuased by the environment you are in. You should have purchased an annodized tower since you are in Florida around both brackish and salt water.

Water spots just have to be polished out sometimes: just part of owning a boat..

Thanks,

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
www.bulletlines.com

(Message edited by bulletlines on February 17, 2009)
Old    jbpetty6203            02-17-2009, 10:41 AM Reply   
Luke, did you install the DIY tower yourself? ANd if so any problems? how long it take?
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-17-2009, 5:16 PM Reply   
Polished stainless, although it is hard to keep it clean, especially in salt.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-17-2009, 6:07 PM Reply   
Annodized holds up best IMHO and is pretty effortless to keep nice. Powdercoat will chip and fade in time. Polished stainless is nice looking but requires a bit more effort to maintain than annodized.
Old     (xmarksthespot)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-17-2009, 6:12 PM Reply   
would not recommend anodizing...any color will start to fade in a season, 2 at the most...(If any of you ride moto, U will know what im Talking about) Powder will not chip..unless you beat your tower with a hammer(for what ever reasons) and/or use a chain for a rope!
Old     (bfnaci)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-17-2009, 6:25 PM Reply   
Joseph,
Have had a polished tower for 5 years, wipe it down real good after each session or end of day, thats it....
Looks like the day I bought it.

(Message edited by bfnaci on February 17, 2009)
Old    get_sum            02-18-2009, 1:20 PM Reply   
Joseph, yup. I put it on. along with some help from my visiting dad and brother. It took about 6 hours. We had to "dremel" one of the mounts because it wouldn't swivel. Then after we had it semi together we had to take it back down to cut the inside tubes, as they were too wide for my boat.

All in all, not too bad.. The most time was spent measuring and re-measuring the boat to find the symmetry. Also, ALOT of time was spent just figuring out which side was which and front or back!!