Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old    thebiggmann            06-14-2009, 8:00 PM Reply   
So the last two days I have been trying to get a backroll down for my first invert. I've had a few where I've been really close, I've got the rotation but just slipped out, but out of maybe 25 tries i've probably had only 5 of those. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm either just short on the rotation or it's like I'm getting pulled off axis, like i shold be doing a circle across the wake but it's more like an ellipse, if that makes sense. I've got 3 different attempts here, skip towards the end because most of the stuff before is just a little carving around and a few wake jumps in i believe #2, but if you want to look at the whole things feel free to critique me on anything you see, I'd be happy to hear it. Please see if you guys can tell me what i'm doing wrong, I'm dying to finally stick one. It might be a few days tho because I've never been so bruised I don't think haha.

Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-14-2009, 8:09 PM Reply   
Good job on going for a new trick! Next time out change the way you edge in for this trick. All of your cuts seemed to have the same "hard turn" into the wake creating line tension in your hands and arms. This trick is a nice steady edge in then do exactly what you are doing. Since the line tension won't be as strong your rotation will be faster and smoother. As a side not also work on your lead leg it is very stiff pushing the board out in front of you. Good luck! Hope those tips help
Old     (wackbag)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-14-2009, 8:12 PM Reply   
You can start by hanging on to the rope till the end. Keep the rope close to your body and have a more aggressive edge into the wake. Proper technique will make up for the lack of ballast as that looks like a stock DD wake to me.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-14-2009, 8:33 PM Reply   
Your front leg is locked out most of the time so work on bending your front knee and evenly distribute your weight between your front and back. As for your backroll I think you have already gotten some great tips so just keep at it man you'll get it soon. Find some fat friends too.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-14-2009, 8:46 PM Reply   
Actualy I believe less line tension will slow the rotation. That is why you should edge very hard right at the end and throw the board up and behind you while puting your chin on your lead shoulder, and keeping the handle in tight. The line tension is actualy what pulls you through the trick.
Old    thebiggmann            06-15-2009, 7:04 AM Reply   
Haha yeah i don't have much of a wake, DD with a 750 in the back and a wedge. Gonna get a 440 for the front too, that should help a little. Is that wake really that small lol? I know i pussed out a couple times with the handle tho... I'll work on my lead leg next time out. So for my edge, i need to start edging a little earlier, so i'm coming in on edge more when i turn into the wake?
Old     (ryker1)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-15-2009, 11:50 AM Reply   
FYI on the first two wake jumps in the first vid. You are letting off your edge right as you hit the trough and head up the wake. This is why you don't get more pop/air on simple w2w jumps. Looks more like a regressive edge
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-15-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
The third video is private and cant see it.

I'm no expert, but i have my backrolls fairly dialed which is pretty much the extent of my skills

It looks like your slightly turning it into a backroll to revert, especially on the second. what has been said about having your weight more centered i think will help alot in this aspect.

For me, the back roll feels EXACTLY like i am edging up and around a tube as if the wake and water kept arching to make a hot-wheels loop track. it is also how i do mine, i just keep edging up. what's great about this trick is you dont have to huck or throw yourself.

keep trying but don't allow yourself to get too frustrated with it always keep it fun.
Old    thebiggmann            06-15-2009, 12:41 PM Reply   
I fixed the third video, my bad. Yeah I don't know why I'm doing the revert thing. It just feels like I'm getting really pulled off axis so I can't just ride around the metaphorical tube. I think the second video was the worst time with it feeling like a roll to revert. I didn't really think of it like that until that attempt. I just wanna stick one, becayse I think that will really help once I have that feeling in my mind. I've slid out of a handfull of them, mainly cuz I let go of the rope, but I can fix that part. As for my edging through the wake, I will for sure work on that. Thanks for the tips!
Old     (bhog)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-15-2009, 1:17 PM Reply   
Man the first summer I was learning this trick it gave me SH*T. It is so hard to spot the landings on a backroll. Just keep trying and keep the handle in tight. My issue when first learning was sliding out. Now its now bread and butter trick.
Old    thebiggmann            06-15-2009, 1:34 PM Reply   
I feel like I spot the landing really well. What did you do for the sliding out? The ones I'm close on that has been a problem. I'm looking forward to trying all this advice tho, maybe I won't have to worry about it haha.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-15-2009, 6:38 PM Reply   
For sliding out..most people let go with their back hand at the very end of the trick. By dropping your back hand this lines you up with the boat and you land over the board. This could help you out but a lot of times is thought of as the wrong way to do a backroll. The correct and proper way would be to keep the handle tight against your front hip. This allows you to have greater control when in the air but I say do whatever works for you.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-16-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
I agree with Scott's edging analysis. You're coming in pretty hard and fast and you're flattening out your board in the last 1-2 feet. To correct this try a more progressive approach, start slower and concentrate on building your edge.

In video 2 where you've thrown the handle are starting to go revert: Flattening off and hands/handle position. By building a progressive edge it will give you greater handle control. Try and keep the handle down around your hips. The tighter your hands to the body the quicker the rotation.

A few small tweaks and you're going to own this :-)
Old    thebiggmann            06-16-2009, 10:58 AM Reply   
Yeah one of the above posts had me start thinking about hadle positioning. So I am letting it get out from my body a little? That would make sense, because thatwould reduce line tension and slow my rotation, right? Plus that would put me off my axis a little I would think. Ugh I can't wait to get back out and try all this! Too bad it could be monday before it happens haha. I'm excited to see what fixing my edging will do too.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-16-2009, 12:44 PM Reply   
If you keep the rope low it should keep you on axis even if you let it out from your body some. It does look like you're edging so hard that the handle is being pulled away from your body.

In your second video though when you're inverted the handle looks to be around your upper chest, being up there will rock your axis.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-16-2009, 1:03 PM Reply   
try starting your edge in closer. I would recomend going out about half as far as you do. This will force you to edge harder as your going up the wake rather than harder at the beggining of your cut and letting off at the wake because you have too much speed