Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       07-14-2008, 6:06 AM Reply   
Usually everybody I teach to get up, does so within their first couple of tries. Occasionally there are the few that are unable to get up. They say that they are being pulled foward to much and begin to plow the water. I guess at times my teaching doesnt get across. what advice to yo guys give to new riders trying to get up that face this problem of being pulled foward, ending up face first before the board surfaces.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-14-2008, 6:49 AM Reply   
Stress that they should not try to stand up til the board is up on plane.Trying to stand up too early is the common cause of being pulled over the front
Old     (mbsteez)      Join Date: May 2005       07-14-2008, 6:51 AM Reply   
let their heels come up to their butt so the board gets on a better angle to plane out rather than push water, keep their hips under them not behind them, and don't stand up too soon.
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       07-14-2008, 7:11 AM Reply   
yep, i tell em all that, butt to your heels, dont stand up untill the board is above the water. I tell em its just like getting off the floor with somebody helping you up. Hips under the board, not behind it is good, anything else?
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-14-2008, 7:14 AM Reply   
tell em to buy detention 2012. wink.
arms straight and knees totally bent equals relaxing. you aren't trying to get the board on top of the water, you are trying to get it flat under you, with your toes barely higher than your heels so the board "flys" up to the surface. bending knees and relaxing arms is the easiest way to do that.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-14-2008, 7:16 AM Reply   
^I would say that guy will give some of the best advice LOL
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-14-2008, 7:28 AM Reply   
^ Who's Shaun?? Hee, hee, just kidding.

I volunteer in a wakeboarding ministry up here in Minnesota called Walk On Water. Shaun, and a couple others, stayed after Saturday's PWT to share his faith and to give lot's of boarding pointers to our group. Thanks Shaun, you're the best!
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       07-14-2008, 7:38 AM Reply   
ya I would say your right, I learned to get up and ride from scenes of the Detention that came with my first board. I could get detention 2012, put it on my psp and bring on the boat so the new ones can watch, that should work!
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-14-2008, 7:53 AM Reply   
Do some on the dock or on the shore coaching. This may help decrease their anxiety in the water. The first few times you are trying to get up, there seem like a hundred things you have to do at the same time.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-14-2008, 9:24 AM Reply   
My wife recently got up for the first time and the dock training (not on the dock tho)was the key for her, we just used a shirt as a handle and I kept it low and told her to let her butt slide up to her heels, she pops out every time now, and i've shown her the waketrix and 2012 beginners videos, they help visualize the process which is key, for some people just being told what to do isn't enough, they have to see it done properly to grasp the concept before they try.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-14-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
1) Heels to your butt (not butt to your heels!)
2) Get as small as you possibly can.
4) Relax -- the boat will pull you out of the water.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-14-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
Oops, I meant 1, 2, 3. ;)
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-14-2008, 11:15 AM Reply   
i am a terrible teacher, so when all else fails we resort to having them surf first... it seems to be much easier to get up on a big bouyant board a few times and then they seem to pick it up pretty quick when you move them back to a wakeboard....
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-14-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
What I have found works really well is get the rider in the water, and have them sit right behind the boat with the board against the swim step. Form here you can hold the rope and they can hold the handle. What you can do here is explain the process of the boat pulling them up and you pull the rope on rock them up onto the swim step. Its works really well because you can see exactly what they are doing wrong without them gettin tired from the boat pulling them over onto their face.
Old     (wakeboarddrumma)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-14-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
I normally do a little drill on the shore first. I'll have someone lay on their back in "sit up" position. And then just give them a handle and pull them up. I've let somone try multiple times with nothing close. then after this they normally get up within 3 tries.

I normally don't even say anything to girls. They pop up pretty quick.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-14-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
I get in the water with them on a line about 3 feet shorter than theirs. There is no better way for you to see what they are doing wrong and for them to see the right way to get up.

I get the boat to slowly drag us just above idle and I talk to the rider while we are moving. Tell them to be patient and wait on the board and boat to do the work.

A few people who have taken multiple attempts...but I haven't had anyone not be able to at least get up and ride for a second when I ride with them. Most people say it makes them more confident having someone back there with them as well.

My $0.02
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       07-14-2008, 1:52 PM Reply   
callen thats exactly what i do to teach people thats crazy! it works really really well.
Old     (barefooter12)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-14-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
We use that one to and it works the best!!!!
Old     (escapade4k)      Join Date: May 2006       07-14-2008, 6:27 PM Reply   
Keep your knees bent. Wait 1, 2 when the boat starts to go, then stand up. Last, turn the board. My problem in the beginning was trying to turn the board too soon. Tom March gave me the advice, so the kudos go to him!
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-14-2008, 10:11 PM Reply   
dont lean to far forward and dont lean to far back, and keep your arms on the outside of your knees and keep them bent a little bit
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       07-21-2008, 10:54 AM Reply   
ya that platform trick seems like it would work well, but I have an outboard, so would work on my boat. I did get in the water with a rider before, and it does work, able to tell them what to do plus I get to ride also.
Old     (kyle_neumann)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-21-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
i always tell them to put their elbows around their knees so they dont get pulled through when getting up.. usually gets em' up in the first few tries..
Old     (jpboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-23-2008, 12:58 PM Reply   
i have a friend who couldnt get up for the longest time, told her and showed her about letting your heels come to your butt and all that stuff, but she still couldnt seem to get it. Then, when one of my cousins (who used to be pro way back in the day) came into town and came out on the boat, he told me his method for getting people up, which is to have them get into a ball with their knees tucked under their arms. I told this to my friend when we were out the next time and she got up her very first try with no problem at all. Hasnt failed anyone ive used it on yet.