Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-10-2007, 1:09 AM Reply   
I am wondering how people carry their boards while on the way to the lake.
We go out of town, to the lake, for long weeknds as much as possible and We always have way to much stuff. so we end up piling stuff everywhere to get it to fit. I hate to have my boards sitting in the boat,loose with a life jacket between them, but the back of the truck is always full if stuff also.

I have been thinking about making a rack of some sort for the back of my truck to go above the tonno cover.
I was wondering what other people have done or would like to get ideas on the best way to build A "rack" and keep all my current storage space. I have access to build most anything (wood shop, machine shop, fab. shop).

DETAILS
*ford Super crew F150 with tonno cover
*malibu Vride
*between me and wife:
2 wakeboards
2 surfboards
1 wakeskate
*trip to the lake is 5 hrs driving each way.
*we always take atleast 1-2 more people so there is another board or 2

Any help or ideas would be great (other than leaving the boards in the boardrack, on the boat.)
thanks
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-10-2007, 5:28 AM Reply   
you need a PSD with a 8ft box .

Do your boards have bags? Due to space issues I have had to put boards in the boat before but allways used a bag to protect the boat. I have also used a clam shell carrier that mounts on a luggage rack to carry a couple of boards on long trips. Shouls be fairly easy to mount to a bracket on top of your bed.

Is your cover hard or soft? If soft leave it open and get one of those spider webs.

Don't know if this has crossed you mind or not but PLEASE do not travel with the boards in the racks.

(Message edited by spoonman on March 10, 2007)
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-10-2007, 7:12 AM Reply   
We lay our boards bindings down on the floor. Just got a wake surfboard and don't know how we're gonna do that.
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-10-2007, 9:06 AM Reply   
I wrap them in towels and lay them inside the boat...I have a snap tarp travel cover for the boat so it works well...
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-10-2007, 9:12 AM Reply   
We just lay the boards on the floor in the boat. You dont have room in the rear storage lockers for the boards?
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-13-2007, 6:05 PM Reply   
By Brad Spooner (spoonman) on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 5:28 am:

you need a PSD with a 8ft box .
that would help me out ALOT but I can not justify that to to the wife (trust me I have tried!)

if i put the boards in the storage compartments they are still layin on top of each other.

what I have been thinking after posting this is:

making a double deck box that sits above the cargo box on the truck. the surf boards load from the back (tailgate) and the wakeboards/skates load from the sides with locking doors each side. this is something that would replace the tonno cover, that is strong enough to strap a cooler and/or a a lawn mower on top of the box.
( ok I may be dreamin)
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-13-2007, 6:32 PM Reply   
Face down in the back of the truck. Truck has a line x liner so they don't move around at all.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-13-2007, 11:01 PM Reply   
in a boardbag tossed in the back of the Tahoe or the Truck or the boat
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-14-2007, 6:23 AM Reply   
I've got a rack built out of 3/4" pvc pipe that sits in the bed. Cost maybe $10 in material. Holds 4 boards. Held up all summer. Holds the boars like this: <||> <||>
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       03-14-2007, 8:25 AM Reply   
I just leave them in the racks. Then you are quicker on the boat ramp. Also, leaving the bimini up saves time as well. .......pause.....NOT.

Upload
Upload
Old    mendo247            03-14-2007, 8:41 AM Reply   
I leave mine in the board racks, cause im cool like dat..
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-14-2007, 9:36 AM Reply   
ahhhhhh please not on the board racks!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-14-2007, 12:15 PM Reply   
I prefer to put most of my junk in my tahoe, not necessarily to keep them from getting damaged but in case I stop somewhere its one less thing I need to worry about someone walking by and snagging. For long trips I put the easiest to grap and most valuable stuff in my lockable car and the rest in the boat (balancing them within the boat for proper trailer load). Other than that its no biggie to me whether its in the boat or car, they dont do much damage in either location. As long as you organize everything in the boat, its all good.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-14-2007, 12:39 PM Reply   
Someone needs to show that teak some love.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-14-2007, 12:42 PM Reply   
I put the boards & the coolers in the boat. I try to pack everything in duffel bags so I can just empty my toolbox & put our stuff in there. Anything else just gets wet if it rains on the way there.
Old     (dhands88)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-14-2007, 3:48 PM Reply   
supra 21v i put one in each back locker, and one in the front ballast locker. just dont forget to take out before you start filling up your bags