Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-19-2010, 9:31 AM Reply   
Noise ordinance:

Tuolumne County currently has no noise ordinance. They are In the process of trying to pass one now. I see in the local paper people on both sides of the issue are speaking up. Wanted your thoughts if you live on a lake that has passed a noise ordinance has it made it a better or worse.

I went to a local lake meeting a few weeks that had nothing to do with noise but it was a strong topic at the meeting. People that own homes on the water are very vocal about what they are calling Boom Boxes. Home owners want the ability to call the cop’s on people they deem making to much noise late at night. I own a home on the water and feel that you deserve quite but you have to also realize you bought a home in a location where this kind of thing go’s on from time to time. Yes once in a while its noisy but not all the time like they are making it out to be. I find barking dog’s day after day that go on for hrs and lawn mowers more annoying than the party people that float by from time to time at 2 am. I think its unfair to move next to a airport and then lobby to shut the airport down because the planes are keeping you up. Same thing people that move next to a play ground.

:
Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-19-2010, 10:10 AM Reply   
I'm with you on this one. I love to see ( or hear ) others enjoying the lake. When we hear the loud music coming from a boat, we go out on the deck in hopes of seeing some good wakeboarding. I enjoy hearing to whole boat react when someone lands a big trick for the first time. Last summer I heard some cheers coming from right below our house. I went out and got to watch the Hyperlite team filming double ups. I just pulled up a chair, grabbed a beer and enjoyed. Sometimes on Saturday mornings we get woken up by bass boats taking off for a derby. We get up pour the coffee, go sit in the spa, and watch them fly across the lake. If you don't like hearing people enjoying themselves on the water, why would you choose to live on a lake.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-19-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
I live full time on a lake and I've heard rumors about noise ordinaces, but nothing formal.

I feel the same way. I live on a lake and expect the ocassional loud music late. It really doesnt' bother me. The more annoying to me are the boats that sound like they are running straight pipes out the back that rattle my windows as they go by...but once again, to each his own. I'm lukcy that my lake is relatively calm m-th.

In my area the only people that are really vocal about noise are the older homeowners.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-19-2010, 10:33 AM Reply   
Man, sounds like an excuse to write tickets.

I fully agree... If you don't like the noise, then move somewhere quiet. There are plenty of lakes that don't allow watersports. They'll be much quieter spots if that's what you're looking for.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-19-2010, 10:57 AM Reply   
Clearly this is 95% Grant's fault.

Really loud pro audio tower speakers annoy me, even if it's playing music that I enjoy. The go-fast douchebags that crank them up only when the pull into the marina are the worst.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-19-2010, 11:09 AM Reply   
Yes the people that seem to be the most vocal are the older people. In the meeting they were saying " These's kids in the wake boats with the Boom Box's on the towers with loud music saying 4 letter word this and 4 letter word that. They were yelling at the cops saying what are you gonna do about this. The cop's were like "well right now we cant do anything No Noise ordinance" Give us the noise ordinance and we will come out and cite there people.

I was thinking what a waste of time, Old man why don't you get a set of ear plug's. They are making it sound like its Spring Break girls gone wild every weekend.
Its sad. The retired people with all the time on their hand's to go to these meetings mid week when working people can't attend and complain. The squeakey wheel gets the grease. I have seen some pretty sad stuff at these meetings. I would never suguest that someone pack their bags and move. Yea boaters can and should use a bit more restraint. But come on another law??? Another reason for the cop's to pull you over COME ON? unless you get involved in your local issues laws like this pass in the middle of the night. Im gonna have to show up to the next meeting
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-19-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
This is a classic example of two sides becoming totally polarized, and ruining it for the 90% of people that fall somewhere in the middle. Reminds me a lot of all other political issues these days.
Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-19-2010, 11:40 AM Reply   
Hey.... Not all us older retired folks are bad. They just need to remember that years ago, we were those loud kids having fun on the water. Thats why we decided to retire on the lake. Always had a good time on the water and we wanted to be here all the time.

I do have to say that over there on lake Tulloch, It is much more crowded. I spent many years over there when it was just begining to build up (1970's to the 90's) My sister had two places there. One in Copper Cove and one in Poker Flat, My Aunt and Uncle also had a place there. Most of the noise was from all the neighbors partying at night. It wasn't coming from the water. It's a sign that the lake has become too congested. In my opinion there are too many houses for that size of lake, and the more people, the more laws. The only problem here is when we stay on the houseboat. If we don't take it out to a cove, we can hear other housboaters partying at night. We don't complain, but there are some that do. I say take your boat to a quiet cove.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-19-2010, 11:49 AM Reply   
Our area talked about it.... we were the first with tower speakers years ago, then more and more starting showing up.... We always make it a point to play "clean" music and only blast if we are riding, no need to do it if we are just sitting... with that said at one of the meeting about it, one of the old guys on the lake board got up and had pictures/recordings of all of the boats that pissed him off..... he had one photo of our boat and said, "These kids, they're alright"

I think that is the norm too, I don't think they are out to ruin anyone's fun, but on the same note people shouldn't be ruining theirs with whatever sort of offensive music/d-bag antics.

They didn't pass it on our lake - granted if we were out at bar time blasting music on the lake we SHOULD get in trouble. I think there should be some level of control - E.i. nothing over XXX Dbs between like 9pm- 10am.... between those times its all fair game

Quote:
If you don't like the noise, then move somewhere quiet
C'mon really?? If someone is living on a lake (most of the time they are older because it takes money to live there)... and have been there for a while.... to say "MOVE AWAY SO I CAN DO WHAT I WANT ON THE WEEKENDS" is the mind set that is going to get tower speakers and stuff banned.
Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-19-2010, 12:21 PM Reply   
It pretty much comes down to common courtesy. I think that for the most part boaters respect others. Sure there are always going to be a few that want to be jerks. But I would think that would be few and far between. If the music were to be really graphic with a lot of foul language, I think they should be asked to stop. But how often does that really occur when they are not out in the middle of the lake away from others? I doubt if it is often enough to have the cops come out and chase them down.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-19-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
Becky is sooo right... People are quick to forget that when they were younger they wanted to have a good time, too. I look at some of the things that the kids do these days and think they're rediculous. Probably the same thing that my parents generation thought about the stuff we did when we were kids.

Trace is right, too. It's the 10% at the extremes that ruin it for everyone else.

I'm not going to lie... we've been "those guys" on a bunch of occasions. We don't do it to be offensive on purpose. We're just having fun. We've even been called out on Wake World for our loud music first thing in the morning.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-19-2010, 12:46 PM Reply   
The WW'rs view point in this thread is something that we should all remember when we're "old".
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-19-2010, 1:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Trace is right, too. It's the 10% at the extremes that ruin it for everyone else.
Amen to that. I was ranting about this last week while I was at Disney and getting yelled at by lifeguards for having my drinks in the pool...
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-19-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
as far as music on the water, I think 10 pm is a fair compromise. common courtesy would say that if you are blaring music at 2 am on the lake that has a lot of waterfront property, you are an ahole.
for places like tulloch, I think a 9 am - 10 pm time frame would be fair for music on the water. maybe I am just getting old, but if you NEED music to ride, then there is something wrong with you.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-21-2010, 7:05 AM Reply   
Yeah, 10pm seems late too me. I would guess it would depend on the waterway rules. Whenever you have to stop riding, should set the noise ordinance.

That being said, there is a big difference between playing some music, and being an ahole with 10 speakers pointed in all directions so everyone on the lake can hear your music.