Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (vtecths)      Join Date: May 2009       06-09-2009, 10:12 PM Reply   
Well my last post went to the archives so I guess I will start up a new one to post some updates... I left off being stuck in a rut and not feeling like i was progressing any in my abilities on the board.

Previous setup is an Evolution 141 board with Obrien boots that were a shade to small that i have used for the past 3 summers. On Monday I decided to follow the advice given by fellow board members and upgrade to a decent setup. I spent about 2 hours looking at boards and trying about 20 different boots. I ended up going with a Ronix Corvin 143 board and Ronix Cell boots. I love the look of the board and the boots are awesome. I also got a new Ronix line and handle and now actually know that i am riding 70' and not just estimating.

While at the shop I also picked up a Hyperlite board and boot combo for my step daughter.

Went out today and got a few runs in with the new setup. What a difference a decent setup makes. The board is not very forgiving in the turns if you dig in just wrong but the feel and pop was awesome. I am pretty close to being able to go wake to wake and the landings are much easier on the legs and knees than the previous board. Got about 2hrs of good runs before the lake turned to crap and it was like the perfect storm. I was riding 70' at 21-22mph and it was working pretty good.

After the lake calmed down we put my step daughter out on her board for her first ever attempt at wakeboarding. She is eight years old and on her first try was able to pop right out of the water and make a good 30 second run before letting go! She continued to do this for about 30 minutes before getting so tired she couldnt hold the rope anymore. I see her being pretty good by the end of summer if she keeps it up.

Well thats all.. Just wanted to give an update and i guess a little bragging as well (in reference to the little one boarding for her first time!).

Thanks for all the advice!
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-10-2009, 7:31 AM Reply   
That's awesome. I will never forget the feeling I got when my kid's got up for their first time.
Old    mcbean7            06-10-2009, 8:11 AM Reply   
Right on Ryan.
Is this your daughter's first time with watersports or has she gotten up skiing before? I ask this because I'm trying to teach my sister how to wakeboard and she's just not getting it. This is her first attempt at watersports. I'm wondering how your daughter was able to get up on her first try...that's awesome! I think a lot of it has to do with my "teaching". lol
Old     (vtecths)      Join Date: May 2009       06-10-2009, 9:04 AM Reply   
Its kinda funny... last summer she was only able to ride the tube and that was at a very low speed. This year we put her up on a knee board and have been pulling her on that but with the rope still attached on the cleat so its still like tubing. Yesterday to get her up on the board i tried a couple different things.

I first had her out on the board with me. I had her between my bindings and got up and made her hold the rope with me. I rode for about 30 seconds and then showed her how to fall and let go of the rope. Then we put her on her board and my wife sat out in the water next to her showing her how to sit in the water and how to pull against the rope. I had her holding the rope and just by pulling it by hand she was almost about to pop out but i was able to explain to her what to do (this was like 5' from boat). I then put her out about 40' with my wife right next to her in the water. First try with very little throttle on the boat and up and out she went. After that we put her out about 60' on the tower and she was good to go.

She has never water ski or done anything like this before. The board is a Hyperlite Motive 109 with Hyperlite Symbol boots.
Old     (derf1956)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-10-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
My opinion on new riders- Let them watch a video first. I use 'Detention 2012'. I also have 'The Book' BUT the underwater/pool views on the first DVD of Murray's video are priceless for describing what is going on. Took 3 people out for their first experience this weekend, 2 with ski experience and one with no athletic experience whatsoever. Skiers got up first try but the 'newbie' was up and riding on the 3rd try. At the end of the day and while discussing the goings on they all agreed that "physically seeing what the board did in the video" helped tremendously. Money well spent in my opinion
Old    mcbean7            06-10-2009, 9:43 AM Reply   
Thanks for the advice Ryan.
Having her on the board with me is not a possibility but I like the idea of having someone in the water with her showing her how to pull against the rope. I'll try this at 5' from boat first, then a slow pull at 40'.
Let's see how she does.
She's on a Liquid Force Diva 134 board(I think) with LF open toe boots. She's 5'1 and weights 100# soaking wet.
Old    mcbean7            06-10-2009, 9:45 AM Reply   
Detention 2012 huh? Ok...I need to check this out.
Thanks Fred.
Would any board shop carry this vid? I'd like to pick one up instead of online ordering if possible.
Old     (sc_lsv)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-10-2009, 11:12 AM Reply   
I just picked up Detention 2012 from housegear.com, its basically deals from house every 30 minutes. got the 3 disc set for like 7.99. checked it out a lil bit last night, personally i like murray's explaining better than the book. shows alot of angles and repetitions.

Sidenote I'll be seeing Murray ride this weekend on Lake Murray in SC, dudeman is sick.
Old     (bogiedog1)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-10-2009, 3:31 PM Reply   
Yea, +1 on 2012, I use a portable dvd player to show that getting up shot in the swimming pool to all newbies. It helps them visualize rather than interpreting your words into an unfamiliar action.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-10-2009, 4:07 PM Reply   
Probably the best getting up tip from Detention that I ALWAYS forget to tell people on our boat when they're learning is that when you're getting up you don't want to try to get the board on top of the water, you want to get yourself on top of the board.

As long as they keep more pressure on their heels the board will take care of itself.
Old     (vtecths)      Join Date: May 2009       06-20-2009, 1:55 PM Reply   
Well, was out on Thursday last week and finally made it wake to wake with a great landing. 65' @ 23mph and the wake was steep, big, and no washout. Finally getting it all together. Next time out.. gonna try for a grab.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-20-2009, 7:12 PM Reply   
ryan, i ride at 65 going 23 as well, i saw you have an I/O, same here, i found our wake to be steep with no whitewash there, just like you said, the first grab i learned was tail, it feels natural to me, my hand just WANTS to go there,

what i recommend, is trying to indie grab some ollies first, it helped me alot, and after you get that down, just cut out, look where your going to grab before you start cutting toward the wake. i was told it would help, and i thought i was dumb, but it really does help me. a really wide cut without alot of speed i think makes it easier to do grabs, not as much tension trying to pull you. just make sure you pull your knees up instead of reaching down to the board, that will pull you over the front, it did in my case anyways, good luck and have fun