Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (sid7)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-09-2006, 8:08 AM Reply   
Ok, I have an 04 shredstixx stixxtreme 5'6 and we love it. Its fast enough, comfy, and very bouant. I want to get a new wakesurf this summer and I am trying to choose between the phase 5 oogle and the shredstixx ja mako.
I want just a little smaller board that is easier to spin but that can still accommidate bigger riders.
Anyone have any experience with these?
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-09-2006, 10:05 AM Reply   
I have a Phase 5 Oogle, and Prop. If you are looking at a good spinner, check out the Prop. In my opinion, it is shorter, and I think would spin a bit better than the Oogle. Both are great boards. I have had riders in the 225 lb rnage ride my Prop with no problems. I have no experience with Shread Stixx.

Old     (mudsurfer)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-09-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
take a look at xbc,they can custom build any size you want. here is the new site. http://www.xtremeboardcompany.com/index.html
Old    surfdad            02-10-2006, 7:56 AM Reply   
Hey Sid7, not to change your mind about purchasing a new board, but have you tried tweaking the old shred stixx, to make it easier to spin, first? I know that Jerry was shipping most of his stixx with a set 4.5 Future's. Removing the trailing fin (that is just leaving the side bites) will loosen the board up tremendously and make spinning easier. This will apply to all the thruster models out there, like Extreme, Shred Stixx, Shoreline, Awake, WalkerProject and I think the Inland Surfer Red Tide. Also, most of the removable fin systems have different size fins, typically in 1/4 inch increments. Toss in a set of 3.25" SB's, along with removing the trailing fin and that Shred Stixx will be extremely loose.

One of the things I appreciate about the surfstyle boards is the ability to swap fins around for different riders. 4.5 inch thruster for newbies and 3.25 inch twinzer for when you want to spin.
Old     (sid7)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-10-2006, 10:26 AM Reply   
Jeff, I have taken the middle fin out and it makes it alot looser and i love it but I wanted to get something a little shorter also for this season to swap out riding each one.
But thank you for tip!
We have actually been surfing about 75% of the time on the water and we want a little shorter board. I have a trick board and like it but in nose dives too much for me.
anyone else?
Old    surfdad            02-10-2006, 10:37 AM Reply   
Yeah, I rode a 4'2" all last season and shifted to a 4'6" this year. James is on a 4'5" and you're right the shorter length makes 3's easier. I have found that I like a bit more nose rocker than is commonly available in most of the boards and notching that up a bit has helped me avoid nose bite (as opposed to pearling). I know there is a balance on speed vs manuverability with the rocker, but I haven't noticed any significant degredation when adding about an inch to my nose rocker.

Were you thinking of going more skim style after a season on the stixx?
Old     (mudsurfer)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-10-2006, 11:08 AM Reply   
Hey Jeff, I think you have spoke to Gary at xbc if so have you checked out his new skate? I am 235 pounds and I had a lot of fun on it last year i think its only 4'6''
Old    surfdad            02-10-2006, 11:41 AM Reply   
Hey Scotty,

Gary's a nice guy - gotta get him to free up a demo for James, (and his dad) though. :-)

I actually got my hands on that skate at the Pleasonton Boat show. Great color's for a stock board.

On the short and long board's I noticed that the rails are seriously sharp all the way to the nose, hard to find in a production board. I'll bet those grab nice and hard.

I wonder how the square tails will work on that skate, I was surprized they weren't eliptical or something a bit more rounded.
Old     (mudsurfer)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-10-2006, 12:48 PM Reply   
It worked great its shaped a lot like a wakeskate, I had a little pearling,but it had a lot to do with my size, I am going to have gary build me a 4'11''skate and see how that work's. I see you live in stockton we should take that tige of yours that I have heard so much about, drop it in disco bay and ride all the boards
Old    surfdad            02-10-2006, 1:21 PM Reply   
With the weather so nice, we'll probably break out the drysuits and boat before the end of the month. We'd love to try the XB's out. I'll give you a shout next time we are heading out.
Old     (wakesurfer54)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-16-2006, 1:20 PM Reply   
hey used to ride a surf style board and i actually thought it was easyer to do a 3 on that then on the phase5. the phase5 took some time geting used to but once u do its sick i love mine i got the icon and im so glad i switched over to a skim style board