Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Boost_GSXR)      Join Date: May 2012       06-08-2012, 2:28 PM Reply   
I have a 2006 X-30. first year owning a wake boat. help me clean up my wake and get my stuff figured out.

1. the wake seems small, id say 12'-14'
2. not crisp at all, lots of wash, white watter foam at top of wake through out the entire wake.
3. when ballest tanks are full the swim deck stays under water...good? bad?

there is hyd. wake plate on the back at which i have not yet played with, i keep it in the far up "stowed" position. this is a good size boat and i would assume it would be capable of putting out a serious wake. not that i am a pro rider and need it but the time will come when i do want something more aggressive.

as always thanks for any advice!! ahh and if anyone is in the area and wants to show me how to use my boat.....please do lol
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-08-2012, 3:03 PM Reply   
12-14 feet is pretty big in my book, (12"-14") is inches

I don't know to much about that boat but what speed are you riding, it should be between 21 and 24. The more weight you add the faster you need to go. Also adding weight to the front will help with white wash. When I pull beginners I just add weight to the front sac my supra and leave the backs empty. The wake plate should be all the way down, then raise it up until alittle wash starts to show up then drop it back down a hair.
Old     (Boost_GSXR)      Join Date: May 2012       06-08-2012, 3:52 PM Reply   
12ft is nuthing! lol ya i ment inch. I have the perfect pass set at 17mph. Although that is a little slow, i'm still learning so it seams to work well for me. I am up for trying a higher speed. I will have it out tomorrow so I will also try dropping the wake plate down. I was told at one point the wake plate was ment to lessen the wake for skiers, so I left it alone and didnt play with it.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-08-2012, 4:01 PM Reply   
Brandon, sounds like you are a begineer. If you want to ride at 17 or 18 to learn that is fine but pull the rope in to about 60'. if you start lowering the plate it will make the wake a little smaller but will clean it up and make it more consistant. The wake will be more then enough if you truely are a beginner. As you start to progress let the line out 5 feet and bumb up the speed a couple mph. Keep doing that till you get up to about 23mph and 75' or so. Once you actually get to 22 or 23 mph and 75' then start worring about adding extra weight. At that point I would probably add a 350 or so to each rear compartment and 500-700 in the bow. That should let the boat produce a pretty good wake. If you need to clean it up a little drop the plate a couple clicks.
Old    kx250frider617            06-08-2012, 4:02 PM Reply   
17 mph is way too slow, the slowest you should be going is 20. I tow first timers at 21. Run your rope at 60-65ft to learn how to jump the wake.
Old    mojo            06-08-2012, 4:07 PM Reply   
im not sure about weighting your specific boat, but if you're going that slow i'd tell you to empty all of the ballast. personally, unless it's a little kid i prefer to never go less than 18mph. for an example, most cable parks pull at 19mph. my advice is to set the boat up with the weight how you want it(stock ballast), and plane off with the speed control set at 18mph(no rider). then accelerate until the wake is cleaned up and not washed out. when you go out to ride have whomever is in the boat add weight to whichever side of the wake is washing out. side note: riding a "small" wake will help you learn how to actually load the line and do things correctly; as opposed to just getting incorrect pop b/c the wake is huge.
Old     (Boost_GSXR)      Join Date: May 2012       06-08-2012, 4:37 PM Reply   
I guess I should have been a little more specific on the ballasts and in my first post. I don't fill them (usually if ever) when i'm riding. I did however fill them a cple times to play with it and see what they do. I'm not at a level that i need the bigger wake, im still learning basic jumps. But i do want to know how to use the boat to its potential so i can grow into it. if i do get an experienced rider on board it would be nice not to look like a jack a#$ that doesnt know how to handle his own boat lol

thanks for all the advice!!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       06-08-2012, 4:45 PM Reply   
Get an experienced person that will show you the ropes... My boat unloaded I can get 20 with a clean wake... Just bump the speed a little, your edge and wake will improve. 2nd DO NOT POWERTURN
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-08-2012, 6:32 PM Reply   
Just got to ask do you have a turbo gixer used to have an 05 750 gsxr not turbo though.
Old     (Boost_GSXR)      Join Date: May 2012       06-08-2012, 7:06 PM Reply   
I will deff bump the speed up a bit, see if i can hang on at 20mph. As for "power turning", can you explain? I try to do a "P" formation when i turn, it is usually a pretty tight turn and under power the whole time. is that a bad idea??

I had Turbo Busa that was a 05, a non-turbo 750 that was a 01, and a few others. only bike i have left now is a 1k basically stock. I spend most my time on the water now, kinda forgot about bikes lol
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-08-2012, 7:18 PM Reply   
Just had to ask

A power turn is when a rider falls you turn around as quick as possible creating a huge wake that travels in all directions and messes up the water. When a rider falls the best thing to do is put put the boat into neutral and turn the wheel all the way to the right, let the rollers go by and then return to the rider to pick them up with out making a wake. You'll find it will be almost as fast as doing a power turn and youll use alot less gas which is huge.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       06-08-2012, 7:49 PM Reply   
Listen, study, try... and repeat!

from CWB Board Co. on Vimeo.

Old     (Boost_GSXR)      Join Date: May 2012       06-08-2012, 8:05 PM Reply   
awsome, good tip. as im sure you already assumed i was doing it the wrong way, i would usually just crank the wheel hard to the right (boat turns better to the right for some reason) and pull back the throttle after the turn

I used Boostd_GSXR as a screen name out of convienence, i have been using it for years on other forums so just makes sense.
Old     (Boost_GSXR)      Join Date: May 2012       06-08-2012, 8:21 PM Reply   
vid=awesome lol

lesson learned
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-08-2012, 8:30 PM Reply   
your boat turns better one way because of the engine rotation.
also for weighting the boat you usually want 40% of the weight in the front and 60% in the back.
Old     (Boost_GSXR)      Join Date: May 2012       06-19-2012, 3:44 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tips guys, I'm riding at 20mph and starting to like it. the wake is actually bigger and cleaner. No more slack in the line after swinging out either. I can finally jump wake to wake as well. A few more weekends and i should be up in the 22mph range (fingers crossed). Goal is to start doing 180's, 360's and back flips by the end of summer.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-19-2012, 3:56 PM Reply   
Nice, keep up the good work and keep having fun.
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-19-2012, 5:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250frider617 View Post
17 mph is way too slow, the slowest you should be going is 20. I tow first timers at 21. Run your rope at 60-65ft to learn how to jump the wake.
I think this is awful advice pulling beginners at 21mph... Unless you don't like them or want them to fear wakeboarding.

The right speed is very dependent on the rider. The lighter weight the rider, the slower I pull them (because they don't need as much speed for the board to be responsive). I also slow down the boat for anyone very young, lacking confidence, the terribly unathletic, or older riders. For instance (and these are by no means correct for all riders, but work well for mine) for their first couple times up I tend to pull 10-12 yr old beginners at maybe 14mph, 12-15 year olds at maybe 16, and adult men at 17. A 225 lb guy I might start at 17, but a 150 lb guy I might try at 16.

Once I see they have some modest amount of board control I might start slowly increasing this. There is absolutely NO reason to start dragging first timers at 21... Way too fast for them to learn anything but how to deal with fear and pain. You can always increase their speed after they've proven to you and themselves they are ready for it. No sense rushing somebody into faster speeds if they cant even do S turns between the wake without catching an edge and doing a face plant.
Old     (cccbuilders)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-19-2012, 5:50 PM Reply   
This boat i have experience with ., i owned one for 3 years. For a clean wake you need to run minimun 19 mph no ballast, and drop trim tab to 75% . For a better wake run at 22 mph fill center tank 1/2- full and fill rear tanks about 1/2 full and drop trim tab to 70%.- 75% For the meatiest wake, fill all tanks, run 23.5 - 25 mph and trim tab at 65% to 75%..
as far as rope length goes , this is a wider wake. i always ran length at 70' for me and 60' - 65' for others.
Remember for the cleanest wake this boat likes it fast, and keep weight even on port and starboard side, it is a little finicky, but can be ironed out in no time.
When swim platform is under water it means you need more weight. (really dosent matter, this platform sits low to begin with)
shoot me an email if you need more help dialing it in.
Old     (Boost_GSXR)      Join Date: May 2012       06-21-2012, 5:29 PM Reply   
Mike im quickly finding out you are 100% spot on about the speed of the boat and cleaning the wake up above 19 mph.

As for the speed of towing newbies, i usually start at 15.5mph for lighter people and slowly bump them up after they tell me the are more comfy on the board. after i get them up to 16.8mph i let them tell me when to up the speed at thier own pace. It took me a full year to get from 16mph to being comfortable at 20mph. but i may be a slow learner lol