Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old     (socalrider)      Join Date: May 2002       03-23-2005, 10:01 AM Reply   
Does anybody know if the water elevation at Powell is expected to rise this summer compared to last summer? Just curious of what to expect.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-23-2005, 10:04 AM Reply   
Word is they expect it to rise about 50' this year if we have a normal runoff(we don't get real warm/real fast)....

E.J.
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-23-2005, 10:58 AM Reply   
I keep hearing good things about the level. Since California got pretty much all of the rain and snow that was supposed to be going up here to the NorthWest, it's supposed to be really good this year (about 50+ feet like previously said).
Old    leggester            03-23-2005, 11:02 AM Reply   
Cali has nothing to do with Powell. WY, UT and CO do.

So far, it looks only OK for runoff. As long as we get more snow and no warm weather.
Old     (romi)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-23-2005, 11:07 AM Reply   
http://www.lakepowell.org/

http://www.gf.state.az.us/h_f/edits/lake_levels.shtml

http://www.summittech.com/LakePowell/LP_WaterDB.php
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-23-2005, 11:07 AM Reply   
Maybe he was talking about Powell releasing water to California??? That was my assumption?

Hell....I don't even know if Powell releases water to California.....

E.J.
Old     (romi)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-23-2005, 11:11 AM Reply   
Hope that helps... There is a fishing site that I pay attention to as well. http://www.wayneswords.com

EJ said though... about 50. I was talking to a Ranger at Lake Mohave a couple of weeks ago. He told me that the latest was that they were going to allow Lake Powell gain some elevation while Lead Mead would have normal releases this year.
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-23-2005, 11:25 AM Reply   
What I meant by my previous post is that the majority of the wet and snowy weather this winter was much more south than normal, which would contribute to an increased amount of runoff from previous years.
Old    leggester            03-23-2005, 11:31 AM Reply   
I thought he'd be figuring Shasta maybe.

I hope you're right Lloyd! I've cancelled Powell the past three years, I need a fix!
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-23-2005, 11:50 AM Reply   
No I wasn't talking Shasta, but I could only imagine how full that got this year. go to that www.lakepowell.org site and check it out. they have the waterline elevations all the way up through the first of march, which was around 3550 feet or so, and it includes how much came in that day, and how much they released out.
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-23-2005, 11:54 AM Reply   
Hey Matt, Don't cancell your trip. I have been the last 5 summers and the low water is really only an issue at the launch ramp, once your on the water it will look diferent as far as visual references and how you remember areas but there is still LOT'S of water and the good thing about all this is there have been less people on the lake.
I see you are from CO and I would guess you use Bullfrog, I have not been up that way but maybe someone here can update us on that.
From what I read the lake will go back to 2003 conditions for this summer, It's all good.
Old    leggester            03-23-2005, 11:57 AM Reply   
When the en dof Bullfrog is 90 feet out and they do not allow large boats to launch anymore - I give up :-)

I can only hope. Some of my best spots were about 15 miles up the San Juan. Good times, good times.
Old     (aspenshayn)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-23-2005, 12:42 PM Reply   
I have been to Hall's Crossing the last 2 years and it's been fine. low, but fine. and they were launching some monsters. Looking forward to it this year with the increased water levels. not a great shot, but this was the worst water we had out there last may.
powell
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-23-2005, 4:03 PM Reply   
The San Juan is awesome, 2002 we went about 40 miles up and 2003 we went about 30 + miles. 03 was the only year I had a depth meter and it was well over 100' deep that far back then.
Old     (bdehaan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-24-2005, 11:08 AM Reply   
Trip is planned for June 3-9, and can't wait! Everything I hear about the water level/snow pack etc. depends on getting through to the end of March. And, the last 3 days or so, we're being dumped on, and no unseasonably warm weather to melt all the snowpack away.

We've never been up the San Juan arm, what's it like as far as coves, beaches, people etc?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-24-2005, 1:52 PM Reply   
Here is a great map that shows the water level when Powell is full and the current water level.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/pdf/GlenCanyon.pdf
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-24-2005, 2:20 PM Reply   
Great map Dave..... Crazy looking at it and remembering just a few years ago shooting straight across from Wahweap to the back of Warm Creek Bay for one of our best trips to Powell ever. Last Spring while at Wahweap, if I didn't know that was once possible, I would have called someone a flat out liar if they told me you could shoot straight across there a few years back. It is a 3 mile long hill now.

Went up the backside to Navajo Canyon last year....being that is the only access up lake, it is not exactly a pleasure cruise in my boat.

Little Lake Powell Juice....

One....two...three....jump!

Few of Navajo Canyon....

And finally...(sorry to those of you with dial-up)... Better not lose at horseshoes!

All this talk of Powell has me so excited the season is ALMOST here....

E.J.

(Message edited by Deuce on March 24, 2005)
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-24-2005, 6:48 PM Reply   
Bdehaan, The San Juan has very few campsites/ beaches untill you get way back in to the Neskahi wash area, at that point it goes from the shear walled narrow channel to a large open bay. Typically very few people and great water all day, it is a trek to get back there but worth it for sure. 02 we went as far as Zahn bay (about 40 miles up San Juan) and we went a couple days of seeing nobody and after just one or two fishing boats all day!
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-24-2005, 8:17 PM Reply   
E.J. - Thanks for sharing.

Alan - I am guessing you took a house boat up the San Juan that far ? how long did it take to Neskahi ? and or Zahn if you remember.
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-24-2005, 9:04 PM Reply   
E.J. Yes we take a houseboat.
We left Wahweap at 7;30am and arrived at Zahn about 5:00pm from what I recall, That was when you could go through the castle rock cut though. I will also add that our houseboat does about 3-4 mph faster than the rental fleet. When we went to Neskahi the lake was at a lower state and you had to go around past the dam and up the gorge as well as some of the other longer routes like Camel rock where you used to cut off the big turn around the camel, that trip actually took about the same time.
We will have to go the long way past the dam for at least another year and that and the other delays make going uplake very far more time consuming for sure. We have been alternating every other time to the San Juan and the off year we just go up to Padre bay or some where close.
If you really want to get away from everyone I recomend trying it.
Old     (rediro2h)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-27-2005, 2:18 PM Reply   
I just got back from Powell yesterday, houseboated with the Cal Poly Wakeboard Club, I hadn't been there in four years and everything looked totally different, but still tons of beaches and pretty good weather, only rained a little at night. The lake could definately use those 50 feet though, there's a white stripe all the way around the lake a tell-tale of the full level.
Old     (bdehaan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-28-2005, 10:31 AM Reply   
Alan, thanks for the info. It sounds like an all day trip to Neskahi considering you've got to go through the narrows now, but well worth it. Maybe we'll give it a try this year.