Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-29-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   
Going to get this setup for the weekend...

Head Unit: Alpine CDA 9856

Speakers: Alpine marine 6.5" (already in boat0
Amp 1: Already have a old 50 watt 2 channel amp for speakers, to be installed

Sub: JL 10w1v2

Tower Speakers: Skylon Ribicon 100

Amp 2: JL e4300 2 channels bridged to sub and the other 2 channels to the tower speakers.

What do you think?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-29-2006, 11:08 AM Reply   
decent entry level sytem, I would upgrade the sub and push more power to it.
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-29-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
If you push 400-500 to a good 12" sub it will make a huge difference. When I upgraded from a 10" sub sharing a amp with boat speakers to a Boston G2 12" sub with a Alpine 450 amp pushing it I was shocked at the difference in the quality of sound. I am still a novice at audio so just sharing my .02.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-29-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
A single 10 in a boat is not enough out on the water, my buddy blew the stock MC 10 on his second trip out. Sure it works in dealer showrooms and that's why 99% of the new boats use them, but for nearly identical $ you can get a 12. If you already have a 10 then get another, two matched 10's work well. I would vote against Rubi 100's, go for the wetsounds Pro80's, best bang for the buck (do it right the first time). Don't have $900 for tower speakers? Then pickup a couple 6x9 cans until you can afford more.

I have an extra little plastic box with an Alpine type R 12 in it if you are interested? Maybe $180 plus shipping for a turn key sub solution (it's my third, a spare, with some use).

I like the HiFonics BX1500/1600 amp for subs, cheap and effective. Too many options to start guessing for boat & tower. IMO you can do better $/watt than the JL amps. Phoenix Gold, Rockford Fosgate, etc.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-29-2006, 1:56 PM Reply   
Mike, maybe I'm reading what you wrote wrong, but you can get a single 10 or 12 w/ 400-500 watts to hit pretty hard. I'm guessing your referring to the stock 10 setup?
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-29-2006, 2:15 PM Reply   
I have decided to go with a 12 inch sub, in a ported box under the dash.

As for the pro80s vs. Rubi 100, maybe I'm an idiot, I just want some sound when we are on the sun deck and swimming and stuff. My thought was I could upgrade later by adding a bigger center speaker.

The JL e4300 is $250.

So be honest and tell me if I am an idiot!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-29-2006, 2:49 PM Reply   
I havent' heard the new Rubi 100's but the sound from the pro 80's in and around the boat is pretty impressive. A ported box is the way to go IMO (louder and deeper bass)..your on the right track.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-29-2006, 3:54 PM Reply   
no expert disclaimer, but i think you can get a single 10" to sound great, given the right sub, the right box design, position and installation. i think (2) subs can actually sound defeating especially if they're seperated and installed in different locations. they can work against each other.

i started with a 10w1v2 hanging off of 2 bridged channels from an e4300 like you mention above and it was decent. it would have been better if they had installed it up under the helm instead of under the bow cusion. i upgraded over the winter from that to a e6450m, a e1200 and a 10w3v2. they moved the new sub to up under the helm and built a sealed (i prefer sealed) box out of 3/4" plywood and then sprayed it with bedliner. in hindsight, i should have gone with a 250/1 slash series for the sub (and still may) but my installer talked me out of it saying i didn't need it. at any rate, what i'm getting at is, if you make the box right and postion it in a good spot in your boat, a 10w1v2 will sound great. they're way more efficient than the w3/6/7's.

i've got the upgrade bug again, but i've got to wait a while or my wife's going to kill me.

thinking back over what i just wrote i think i'd probably go with what adam said, spend the dough to get a 500/1 and a 10w6 and be done with it. get a 12w6 if you have the room. then maybe you won't get upgraditus.

i know nothing about the rubi's, but i've owned the e4300 and now own the 6-channel version, the e6450. i'm very happy with them for my speakers. i think the wetsounds adam is reffering too would need a lot more power as they are proaudio type speakers.

good luck.

it's not going to sound like adam's boat, but adam's got 3 subs and at least (2) 500/1's. (the lucky bastich).
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-29-2006, 4:46 PM Reply   
Adam,

I am trying to say that I don't think he will be happy with only one 10, IN GENERAL.

A single 12 is decent. A pair of 10s works too.

I am sure the slot loaded 10 in your boat hits harder than my 12 but it takes up more space too.
Old    smooth_worm            06-29-2006, 9:21 PM Reply   
You can't make a statment that a 10 will never be enough. Comparing a good high end 10 to the cheap come with from teh factory is a joke. The diamond audio 10 in my boat rocks it... Its all about a good sub in a properly built enclosure with a good amp.
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       06-29-2006, 9:34 PM Reply   
heck for that matter my JL audio 8" dvc hits harder than my friends 10" rock BUT... I built the enclosure to factory spec. and have cleaner sub power than he does so... SIZE REALLY DOSENT MATTER lolits all in the QUALITY and attention to detail
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-29-2006, 11:49 PM Reply   
Hmmmm,

Seems there is always somebody claiming that there 8" or 10" subs rock and that their 6.5" car door tower speakers are loud and clear at the rider. Usually these claims come from halfway across the country where they are the big dogs on thier lakes. The folks that have heard our systems don't make those claims.

Maybe it's just my ears? I hang with some folks that run thousands of watts to two, three or four 12" subs (12W7s), and I would say they rock. My boat with a 12" Alpine type R and a ported 4 X 6.5 box does well enough for me. My tower is the stongest component in my system since I like to listen when I ski and ride. Relatively speaking my system is simple but it's still over 2500 watts.

My buddies new MC with a single 10" JL marine was trying to hang and blew it up second time out (that's not cheap junk).

I was just trying to help a guy get the best bang for the buck, not put anybody's system down. Usually the incremental cost difference between a 10 and a 12 is not significant so why not? Size doesn't matter??? My opinion is different. In any case a well placed, well installed sub will produce more sound. But everything else being equal, cone area and excursion are the two things that make the sound.

You guys with a rocking 8 or 10 glad you are happy.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-29-2006, 11:52 PM Reply   
Jay,

Sorry to hear about your motor... that's a bummer. Pull a valve cover and see if the oil is baked, if not you might be lucky enough to save the lower end.

hijack off.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-30-2006, 12:44 AM Reply   
i think when it comes to subs on boats... try to get as much cone area that space permits ( and the wife), clean install, and the biggest class d amp you can afford... in regards to other speakers - get the biggest amps you can afford.. you 'll need them..

mmats makes a ridiculously good sub amp that can take on all comers however it doesnt have the crossover sophiscation that the jl sub amps provide(state of the art...really allows you to dial in your sub to the box and system...

i agree with mikeski on this one, the jl's are expensive in terms of $$$ per watts but very high quality... given the listening environment, it is okay to trade a little of sq for spl...
Old    joedirt00            06-30-2006, 4:52 AM Reply   
Go with a ported box built to the sub manuf. specifications. Mine is built within about 5 cubic inches of the spec, the port is the correct length and diameter and it absolutly pounds.
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-30-2006, 8:44 AM Reply   
Well, this where I 'm at: 12w1v2 in a custom ported box under the dash/helm.

Alpin 9857 HU: better screen for ipod
Already bought the tower speakers: Rubicon 100
Not sure on the amp... but probably the e4300.

Cost is a factor... did someone mention wife?

Getting it installed today. I certainly don't expect to hear the tower speakers when riding and it won't compete with 2-3000 watts and mutiple subs.

Thanks for the help and input!
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-30-2006, 9:17 AM Reply   
right on

yeah WAF is huge (wife approval factor)

not everybody on this board has to deal with that. ;)

mikeski i'm not saying a single 10 or 12 is going to rock the casba, but we can't all be big ballers.

save room for the little guy

have a great fourth everybody!
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       06-30-2006, 9:29 AM Reply   
Mikeski
thanks for the thought on the motor Ill check the oil today its not looking good though
as far as the sub and the system D.Cooper Hell bro just have fun with it you dont have to be the biggest and the baddest on the water to enjoy your system mine is super simple and I love it I totaly agree with mikeski a well placed a well installed sub will make a huge differance... just my 2
JJ