Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-17-2012, 12:11 PM Reply   
I preordered the iPhone5 and want to go ahead and get a case for it. Undoubtedly I will drop it the first day so I should be preparred. I have used otterbox in the past but would like to know what others like to protect their phones, iPhone or otherwise.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       09-17-2012, 1:15 PM Reply   
It's not as much of a case as a cover, but I use a slickwrap. Essentially it's a couple stickers that go all around your phone. I drop my phone regularly, and like to attribute the lack of breakage to the wrap, but it probably doesn't do much good. slickwraps.com
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-17-2012, 1:43 PM Reply   
Lifeproof. Completely water proof up to 6 meters. Fully functional while under water
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-17-2012, 3:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidarider View Post
Lifeproof. Completely water proof up to 6 meters. Fully functional while under water
+1....ive turned so many of my friends onto them. However, doesnt look like the lifeproof case for the iphone5 will be ready by this Friday, so I'll be slipping mine into a temp case for now.
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-17-2012, 3:20 PM Reply   
SiTe says 6 feet water protection?...how does it seal the hole for where your ear goes on the phone
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-17-2012, 5:45 PM Reply   
Agent 18 - simply the best.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-17-2012, 7:10 PM Reply   
http://www.cultofmac.com/191189/ipho...thers-roundup/
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-17-2012, 7:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnargnar View Post
SiTe says 6 feet water protection?...how does it seal the hole for where your ear goes on the phone
Theres a screw cap with rubber seal that covers the hole. If you want to use headphones there is a waterproof jack that screws into it. Myself an friends have tests ours many of times in the water. Plus u can take underwater pictures if u choose.

Its $70 but worth it if ur around water!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-17-2012, 7:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter660 View Post
It amazes me how mch they can get for these cases! They make a killing!
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-17-2012, 9:11 PM Reply   
Hey lr3 I meant if you're holding the phone to your head while talking on it, the hole at the top of the front face
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-17-2012, 9:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnargnar View Post
Hey lr3 I meant if you're holding the phone to your head while talking on it, the hole at the top of the front face
Haha woops! Didnt read your post fully.

The earpiece holes are still there but sealed. I dont have any issue hearing people and people can hear me perfectly fine. My buddies and I have had them for almost a yr now
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-18-2012, 6:19 PM Reply   
A friend jus turned me on to this one. Might have to give it a shot when I get the iPhone 5
www.hitcase.com
Waterproof, mountable on multiple diff mounts, and a pro option w a wide angle lens built in
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-18-2012, 6:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
A friend jus turned me on to this one. Might have to give it a shot when I get the iPhone 5
www.hitcase.com
Waterproof, mountable on multiple diff mounts, and a pro option w a wide angle lens built in
Looks nice but the last dang thing i need is trying to keep track of more mounts like i do with the gopro. Have every mount/accessory possible for the gopro and half the time im sorting through my tupperware box full of gear to find the right one.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-19-2012, 9:50 AM Reply   
I thought $50 for the Otterbox was nuts, but $80 for a case is just bonkers. And then you have to pay another $30 for things like a belt clip? Otterbox is looking better all the time....
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-01-2012, 11:18 AM Reply   
Life proof is not vegas proof though. I found that out the hard way. But i would say +1 for lifeproof just keep your phone in the hotel room if you end up in Vegas
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-01-2012, 11:53 AM Reply   
A few other brands/cases to maybe consider...

www.catalystlifestyle.com
http://www.otterbox.com/armorseries/...efault,p6.html
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-02-2012, 9:01 AM Reply   
I ended up with the Otterbox defender series. I didnt want to spend more than $50 and outside of being waterproof, it will do everything I want. Thanks for all the input, it helped me make my decision.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-03-2012, 11:41 AM Reply   
i picked up a lifeproof case yesterday and a belt clip. It's been on my radar for quite a while, and since i just recently got my phone replaced under warranty i wanted to get something to put it in. My preference is no case at all. but the phone is just too damned expensive and fragile for that. I probably didn't need the full waterproof-ness of lifeproof, but it seemed to be the only "rugged" case that didn't double the size of the phone. The only thing preventing me from getting one sooner was the price. $120 for case and clip (including taxes) was a bit much... the clip alone was $30. and i only bought that to use the phone when working out (that's how I damaged the old one, errr I mean that's when the hardware failure happened).

My initial impression is: it works, but looks and feels cheapish for that kind of money. I'm sure they're cranking them out in China for about 10 cents a piece. I don't much like the air-gap between the screen and the case; it muffles the sound; and the screen has too much glare and smudges way too much. I'm real particular about cleaning smudges off my phone and this will drive me crazy. oh well, at least it's protected. it's cool knowing that i could completely submerge it and it'd be fine. not that that's likely to happen. After a few months, i may just open it up and remove the plastic screen cover and put it back on. Which defeats the purpose of this case, but it's a sunk cost anyway. I guess at least with this case, i can be a little less delicate w/the thing (like putting the old one in an Oakley sunglasses sock to protect it from dust while i'm on my tractor ).
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-09-2012, 7:01 PM Reply   
Well...just got an email saying Lifeproof cases wont ship for another month due to them scrutinizing its precise design for the new iphone
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-10-2012, 5:20 AM Reply   
I bought a Speck for my IP5 last night.

It's going back today.

Fitment is great, material is great. But you can't fully plug in a standard (non-ear bud) jack into the bottom fully.. It only goes 4/5 of the way in - not enough.. I use a standard audio jack so far in my car and my home stereo until more Lightining connections become available..

Bummer. Liked the case on first glance/fit/feel..

Beware.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       10-10-2012, 5:21 AM Reply   
Life proof for sure... saved me so many times! And it's pretty good with drops too.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-10-2012, 12:32 PM Reply   
Owning underwater cameras where the saying is a flood is not an if but a matter
Of time means my iPhone is not going near the water, case or not. I do put it in an Otterbox whenever we are out on the boat.

I got the Specky Candy Grip and have been very happy with it. I always want a case that has grip
To keep me from dropping my phone in the first place. There isn't much room to clear a large connector but you might be able to grind the connector itself to fit.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-10-2012, 12:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Call my phone, I'm diving down! I get having a waterproof phone, but wonder how often they're retrieved after going in anything but clear water.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       10-10-2012, 1:04 PM Reply   
I havent tested my lifeproof in terms of floating with the phone in the case but when you buy one they make you submerge it in water for 10 minutes to make sure there are no leaks. I had to keep a glass of water on the case to keep it from floating up so I know for a fact that the case floats, just not sure if it floats with the phone in it. Doubt it because it's heavier and with the phone inside there isn't an air pocket.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-10-2012, 1:21 PM Reply   
^^^dont try it! Ask me how I know. Mine sat at the bottom of the lake 4' for 10minutes until i found it. Thats why they make the float for it.

My buddies and I freak people out when we sit our phones inside a pitcher of beer and have one of them call it lol
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-10-2012, 3:08 PM Reply   
Yeah, it won't float w/the phone in there, but a 2nd that it is certainly waterproof. I've "demo'd" mine a few times to people. Haven't put it in beer yet though. lol.

I'm a little concerned with the latch over the charging port losing it's watertight-ness over time with opening and closing it almost daily to charge the phone. All it would take is for the latch to loosen up a bit. I'm sure by the time that could happen, I'll have moved on to another phone.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-10-2012, 3:21 PM Reply   
The iphone 5 can sit in 6' of water for 6 mos and still work so Im not too worried.

Besides if the seal did fail after 6mos, I hve no problem replacing. I would have got my use of out it and the $70. I go through $30 cases every 2-3mos...no different
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-11-2012, 6:03 PM Reply