Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-12-2008, 6:59 AM Reply   
I'll probably start some bad rumors with this post, but oh well.

How many of you bump a rider when they spin? And, do you think those guys that have thrown 1080's were bumped? I find it very beneficial when learning new spins.

Do you think it's legit to bump?

Definition of bumping a rider: Slowing the boat down, when the rider is in the air, to take load off of the line and help the rider complete the spin.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-12-2008, 7:29 AM Reply   
I've never done that when I drive or when I spin. And hell no, the guys throwing 1080's don't do this as well. I would maybe consider it when trying to learn a 360 for the first few times, just so the rider can complete the rotation, but I would think it could cause more problems once you actually start throwing them without getting bumped. Learn it the legit way.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-12-2008, 7:33 AM Reply   
^^^^ im with J ^^^^^^^ no and no and never have.
Old     (hyperliteguy_04)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-12-2008, 7:52 AM Reply   
So if im haveing trouble with a 360 should i ask my driver to slow down when im in the air??????

cuz ive never heard of this...
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-12-2008, 7:56 AM Reply   
Just say no to the bump!! I've been doing this since 91 and have never heard of it. Line tension is reduced by advancing toward the boat when you leave the wake and waiting to start the spin after you have left the wake, not slowing down the boat.
Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-12-2008, 7:58 AM Reply   
No I doubt they ever bumped a rider doing a 1080 seems it would slow the roation down if you spinning that fast

(Message edited by element8456 on September 12, 2008)
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-12-2008, 10:08 AM Reply   
I wont Lie, I learned Crow Mobes off the bump. The bump helped me a ton. BUT that being said you cannot claim the trick if you are bumping it to land it.
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-12-2008, 10:34 AM Reply   
Andy would you recommend bumping for learning a new trick that you just can't seem to get? I'm asking since you said it helped you. Maybe it would work for others as well. Never thought of it before.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-12-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
Maybe bumping on only Half Cab tricks??!!!
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-12-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
I thought this post was going to be about 'bumping' sandbag riders to the next highest division.

But for the bump in question, I never knew to even try, but then again I am not riding with crews trying any big spins or mobes.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-12-2008, 12:14 PM Reply   
Allen,

For me I have I found that on tricks with a blind landing, like a crow mobe or toeseven, and primarly where your landing wake to wake blind w/o and handle pass. You can cheat the trick by backing off the gas as the ride breaks the apex of the trick/rotation. It has helped a few of the riers I ride with big time learning crow mobes and skeezers!. It really eliminates that rebond effect of the tension hitting the rope, the rider not being far enough over thier toes or under rotated and getting pulled over backwards. Once the land bring it right back up to speed. But like I said you cant claim it till you land it at reguar speed.

Sorry for the long winded reply, I guess my answere to your Q is yes it helps.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-12-2008, 12:24 PM Reply   
Never done it. Sounds kind of like a crutch, similar to the "dumper".
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-12-2008, 12:36 PM Reply   
never heard of it.... but as long as it took me to get my handle pass for the 3, it couldnt have hurt me to give it a try i think.... might not be a bad teaching tool. No less legitamate than slowing the boat down and practicing surface 3's before the real thing.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-12-2008, 12:41 PM Reply   
M-dizzle not a cruch, just a tool. Like I said you cannot claim it till you do it correctly.
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-12-2008, 12:52 PM Reply   
you can turn a little to help, too. make the wake a little steeper for the rider and it will also slack the line for the rider on the landing...
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-12-2008, 1:24 PM Reply   
this is all assuming you have a driver that knows how to do it right.
Old     (dustin140)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-12-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
lets see a bump for a raley
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       09-13-2008, 5:17 PM Reply   
If you know what you're doing as a driver, it can be done and done to benefit your rider greatly.

I do it to assist my crew with spins and some inverts.

My guess is that this is exactly why advanced drivers (Travis Moye etc) don't use speed control systems. I'm no Travis Moye but I do "bump".
Old     (jpaul)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-13-2008, 6:54 PM Reply   
I've read that Travis Moye, (written in quotations) that he dose not use any speed control and makes throttle adjustments depending on what the rider is doing.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-13-2008, 6:57 PM Reply   
Slowing down is not a bump. A bump is a quick jerk of the steering wheel towards the rider so that it puts a bump in the wake. Seen it done by coaches that are trying to get a student to get the feel of the trick. What you are talking about is just turning towards the landing side of the trick to give the rider more slack in the line. Also slowing down to allow the rotation is another old trick.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-13-2008, 7:00 PM Reply   
JP, Travis drives that boat without speed control but does not do things that could benefit a rider. He drives at a speed that the wake is clean at the riders length then get's directions to speed up or slow down from the rider.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-13-2008, 7:32 PM Reply   
I'd say it's similiar to doin a surface spin, then ollie to surface spin, then one wake spin, then bump, then legit. You cannot claim a trick that you got bumped on. It can help you familiarize yourself a little bit better with the trick, you just shouldn't do it more than once or twice. No, I have never bumped, but I drove one for my bro. I personally feel better about a new trick if I don't use a ton of preparation and just do it, land it, I landed a s/w t/s 3 on my 2nd try, and in competition, I was proud of that, I lost my reg. t/s 3, had to do tons and tons of 2 wake tries, and eventually did surface 3's, then 1 wake 3's, I'm very ashamed of that, but hey, I have it back and to a certain extent that's all that matters.
Old     (jpaul)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-14-2008, 10:11 AM Reply   
I looked for the issue but it was one of the few i threw away. But WBM did an issue titled best driver ever or something like that. WBM asked why he did not use any speed control, he explained why and then made the comment that he liked to help the riders by making throttle adjustment while the riders were doing certain maneuvers.