Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old    tythurston            03-18-2008, 11:49 PM Reply   
Hey Everyone I just bought a new Doberman Pinscher her name is Chaos. And I was wondering if anyone had any kind of training tips, insiders or anything that would help me at all. She will be going to the lake with me every time I go out this summer (she has no place else to go). So if there is anything that you can tell me that would be great. Thanks Ty
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       03-19-2008, 12:40 AM Reply   

quote:

if there is anything that you can tell me

Try a dog training website, not a wakeboarding website?

-Steve
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-19-2008, 6:51 AM Reply   
come on Steve, don't you remember when you got a dog that you wanted to go out on the boat with you? Although we do have big dogs, (shepard and rotty) they don't go out on the boat at all. We have a yorkshire terrier that is quite boat ready. I would hate to have the big dogs nails to rip through the upholstery. Just train it from when the puppy is young. Have fun and good luck!!
Old     (inty399)      Join Date: May 2007       03-19-2008, 6:52 AM Reply   
if he starts to pee smack him. if he poops stick his noes in it, thats what we do... seems to work alright for my dogs speedo and buoy
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-19-2008, 6:54 AM Reply   
steve im sure there are many dog lovers on here that bring their dogs on the boat all the time,see the booche thread,that also have good tips on getting the dog trained for the boat..

id be interested in hearing some stories..
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-19-2008, 7:03 AM Reply   
heres a couple of dog threads from ww

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/549704.html

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/4387/555974.html
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-19-2008, 7:23 AM Reply   
peeing off the deck is the tough the first couple times especially if they're a puppy. once they get that part, nothing to it.
Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-19-2008, 8:06 AM Reply   
I have to disagree with Ty. Smacking your dog when it pees and rubbing his nose when he poops will only make him associate doing those things around you=angry owner. Dogs dont make that kind of connection that we do, unless you catch him directly in the act of doing it, rubbing his nose in it will only make him think that "every time this guy comes home, he is pissed off and rubs my face in the carpet"

I think Crate Training is the best method for house training.

Having trained 5 competition hunting dogs (winter hobby) I would recommend getting a training book, and follow that method. The reason this is successful, is because most training programs rely on building upon small successes. If you "borrow" what you deem to be the best from alot of different methods, your dog will end up being confused and neurotic. All good training starts with basic obedience and manners.

The key to successful training is consistency. The hardest part about training a dog, is training yourself to be consistent.

good luck
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-19-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
Hm...you bought a Dobie and you have no knowledge of dog training?

I say we start an over/under pool for either an attack or the dog ending up in a shelter. Let's put it at 14 months. I'll take the under.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-19-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
Doberman Pinscher lol. If you can train it to be some form of deadly attach dog YOU need to go in the training business. I have a pit and an american bulldog mix. Aggression in my opinion is trained into dogs not the other way around. If you don't respect them they won't respect you. discipline and consistency are the only 2 things you can do. As for teaching something its ok to pee on a platform but not in the boat I have no idea. I'm sure with all the love in the bocce post someone will have some insight on that.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-19-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
I had a dobie years ago and she was the most docile dog I have ever owned. My yorkshire terrier on the other hand is a class A biatch where as my 120 lb rottwieller is a teddy bear (well not if you jumped my fence)
Old     (merrion13)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-19-2008, 11:21 AM Reply   
I own a Dobe (see my profile pic) and I can't say enough good things about the breed. Mine is now 4.5 years old (male) and is as docile as they come. You should take yours to puppy obedience class as soon as possible to begin getting her used to the leash, sit, stay, and most importantly coming when called. The class also gives her socialization early on which helps with temperment. Dobes have a strong will and will try at times early in your relationship to become the alpha, you just need to make sure you and everyone in your family knows that.
Don't listen to everyone's stereotype about these being 'attack dogs'. They are very loving, affectionate, and love being around people. And they are easy to train as they are one of the smartest breeds out there. I can't say enough about these dogs, but again, seek some obedience classes to help you along. Have any pics?
Old    tythurston            03-19-2008, 11:42 PM Reply   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote:
if there is anything that you can tell me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try a dog training website, not a wakeboarding website?

-Steve

Why don't you get off my a$$ unless you have something to say.
Old    tythurston            03-19-2008, 11:44 PM Reply   
Nate

I have 4 other dogs that are perfect. and would never take a dog to a shelter I asked for an OPINION not a step by step so before you open your big mouth why dont you ask some questions
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-21-2008, 1:18 PM Reply   
Ty.... A dog training class worked great for me. The class was really more about training myself than training my dog.

We just put towels down over the seats and sun deck so her nails dont tear the upholstry. You could also try some of the Primal seat covers. Terry cloth, fitted and washable.

I haven't gotten her to pee on the platform yet, but she's pretty good at holding it and we've had no accidents in the boat. By the time she's ready to pee we're usually ready to stop somewhere for refreshments or gas so she can get out and find a spot to do her business.

Unfortunatly my pooch lost her leg to cancer this year. She's gotten a lot less discipline and pretty much runs the house now. We've yet to test her 3-legged swimming abilities. I'm hoping she still does OK. She loves the boat and the water.

Good luck man. Dobe's are great dogs.
Old    mendo247            03-21-2008, 1:32 PM Reply   
We got a new shop dog a couple weeks ago. The potty training part is killing me. He just doesnt get it! Take him out, walk around for ten-fifteen minutes he wont go, bring him back in and 5 minutes later hes pissin on the floor.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-21-2008, 1:54 PM Reply   
HAHAH thats funny...i'm sorry
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-21-2008, 2:43 PM Reply   
Take a treat when you take him out. Praise him when he pees outside. Once he makes the pee outside = treat connection, he'll get it.

My puppy peed in the boat a couple of times. My fault.
Old    mendo247            03-21-2008, 3:05 PM Reply   
Yeah, when he wakes up i take him straight outside and when he goes i praise him like crazy. I guess ill try the treat thing. When i catch him going i show it to him and take him outside. My dog at home caught on in a couple days.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-21-2008, 3:28 PM Reply   
The treats will work, but crate training worked for us. We have done this with the last few puppies and they seem to pick it up quicker. We kept ours in the crate for sleeping, etc. Take it out of the crate, directly outside, walk for awhile. If the dog doesn't go, back in the crate they would go. Wait a little while, like 30-45 minutes, then take the dog out of the crate directly outside. Now, ours still sleeps in her crate and in the morning when the crate door opens, she runs over to where her leash is kept. Very few accidents during the training process. The dog training books say that the crate is like their den or personal space. I'll be trying our new puppy on the boat in the next few weeks.
Old    mendo247            03-21-2008, 4:38 PM Reply   
Well jus got back from the Vet and he gave similiar advice. Crate training wont work to good being hes a shop dog and goes home with someone at night so hes is never alone. His suggestion was whenever he goes potty outside praise like crazy and maybe even give a treat. When he goes inside completely ignore him, try to make it where he doesnt even see you cleaning it up lol. Just act like nothing has happened, thats gonna be hard to do but were gonna give it a shot. He claims to have great results.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-21-2008, 11:11 PM Reply   
when you have one house trained dog the second is a dream!
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       03-22-2008, 1:47 AM Reply   

quote:

Why don't you get off my a$$ unless you have something to say.

Wow. Ok, the way I see it, you are on a wakeboarding site in the wakeboarding discussion. If you had posted something somewhat relevent to the topic I wouldn't have said a thing, but since you decided to post something completely off topic i called you out on it. I understand that several people on this site have a soft spot for dogs, myself included, but what is the point of an off-topic section if not for this?!? C'mon man, get over yourself.

-Steve
Old     (liquidforce512)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-22-2008, 2:50 AM Reply   
here are my 2 dogs one being a dobi. Great dogs. The has been on the boat a couple of times and is good.Upload
Upload
\