Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (creekrat)      Join Date: May 2018       07-08-2018, 8:51 PM Reply   
So this evening I went surfing for the first time. Was behind a buddy’s 2003 bu 23lsv. All ballast was stick with 6 people in the boat and the bot listed to the port side. We were using a homemade suck gate and the board was a Hyperlite shim 4’7”. Pretty sure he did not have any water in the bow ballast but I wasn’t about to make any suggestions since I’m green to surfing. Popped up on the first try and ride in the wave for a bit getting used to it before trying to find a spot where the rope was slack but could never find the sweet spot for me. Gave it 3 runs but still couldn’t find the sweet spot to toss the rope. That being said, we are looking at purchasing a 2006 centurion avy c4 with the storm 3 package and 430 hours. Interior is in great shape as is the snap out carpet and the guy is asking $24,000 for it. I’m a solid guy at 235lbs, oldiest son is 180, youngest is 95 and the Mrs is 140. I am looking at a Hyperlite broadcast for us on our boat but not sure as far as what size we should be looking for. I don’t have any qualms buying a couple boards. Any and all help is appreciated
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-10-2018, 2:13 PM Reply   
Beginners usually lean back way to far, like leaning against the rope. Get balanced over your feet and ride down the face with your weight shifted more forward.

The kid and Mrs MIGHT do OK on a board he can grow into but, but you're looking for at least 3 boards. You, oldest and wife/youngest

Last edited by denverd1; 07-10-2018 at 2:19 PM.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-12-2018, 5:35 PM Reply   
Dont expect to go out 2 times, toss the rope and surf into the sunset....like any sport, it takes time to learn and get the feel for it. While it may be easy to get up, actually riding well happens by you putting the time in. Requires 2 main things....a decent wave and the right board. I think a Doomswell Neo is a great board for beginners since its bouyant, forgiving and does not break the bank....you may be able to find a used one or blemish model too. My guess is that you are gonna need a 4' 10", perhaps even 5ft.....but once you get the hang of it you may want the 4' 10" back. There are a LOT of boards out there that would be similar but at same time there are a LOT of boards out there that are sluggish pieces of crap that are not worth $50 IMO, much less the $350-400 they cost. Get something decent cause it will shorten the learning curve to have the right board.

Also.....get a go-pro and video yourself. This is the easiest way for YOU to see what you are doing wrong rather than someone telling you are yelling at you from the back of boat. Trust me....when surfing you are gonna feel like you are doing it right and have the weight in the right place, but when you look at video you will clearly see (for instance: that you have too much weight on back foot and why you are washing out of wave) when you thot you were doing it right and could not figure out what you were doing wrong. When starting, the more you "crouch" down with knees bent, the better you will be able to center your weight, keep your balance and shift weight forward/back as needed. When surfing....movements are soft, if you "brake" by putting weight on rear foot, you do it quickly and then get back on the "gas" (front foot) immediately.

Anyway, you will get it. Get the right board.....take the time to get the wave right (Centurion Avy is awesome boat that will kick out a killer wave when set up right), take good care of your boat and it will take good care of you.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-13-2018, 6:37 AM Reply   
The Shim is a good board but it isn't going to cut it for your size. I'd avoid the Broadcast as it's a historically slow board. Focus on getting a boat board that anyone can ride but then you will at least need a board that works for your size.
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       07-13-2018, 7:33 AM Reply   
We had a broadcast as boat board and it sucked. Inland surfer tako is our boat board and has been great for 4 years. Holds up well the people who like to cruise (wife, her friend) love it. Easy to teach people with and a fun carver. The rest of us have all advanced.

Be patient it took me two years to ride ropeless and I have been wake boarding and watersking for 30 years. We also live in Florida so ride all year round and still took me that long just couldn't find that feel but when I did it just clicked. Everyone else in my crew took to it no problem, We have a good wave on our 2012 rzr and still took that long. Patience Patience