Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old     (wakeboardrn)      Join Date: May 2002       09-02-2003, 4:09 PM Reply   
Some of you who know me (or who read this board regularly) know that a little over five weeks ago I injured my back wakeboarding. I wasn't doing anything spectacular, I think that it was probably caused by a freaky ts jump fall that ended in a caught edge and a faceplant.

Basically, since then I've been diagnosed with a muscle strain, lumbar sprain, facet joint sprain, and various other possibilities.
I've done a few weeks of PT at this point, and the pain has persisted. The Doc ordered an MRI and I had it done last week, finally got the results today.

Seems what I have is an "annulus tear." Apparently it's disc related, since the annulus is part of the lining around the discs. At least now I know WHY I'm having pain.

Worse case scenario according to the doctor is to drop out of school for a semester (which, with the type of school it is I would have to defer an entire year, and I don't see that happening...)

Basically, I need to take more time off of work, rest, get PT, take lots of medication, and give it time to heal properly or have problems forever.

So, wish me luck everyone! Have fun riding, I'm not going to be able to join you for a while... So ride a set for me :-)

Old    wakeboard4568            09-02-2003, 4:14 PM Reply   
Hi Patty. That sucks that you cant ride for a while, but j/ be glad its not really serious. Good luck with the recovery.

elisabeth
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-02-2003, 4:26 PM Reply   
patty, you're smart to take the time off boarding and heal. better to take care of it now and be riding long into the future than be in pain. put what effort you can into your studies and recovery and be well. we'll be thinking about you and looking forward to seeing you back on the water!

and of course, we'll ride a set (or two, or three..), for ya! :-)
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-02-2003, 5:47 PM Reply   
I had that feeling it was disc related. Your symptoms were too suspicious to me for just a sprain.

I'm just glad that you have the answer now...