Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-09-2014, 5:02 PM Reply   
Where does bashing come from Dealers

Dealers teach their sales persons how to sell AGAINST each and every brand. This is a Fact.
You go in to buy brand X the sales person says "what other boats are u looking at" depending on your answer they have a reason why their boat is better or fits your lifestyle.

So it's no wonder why every year come Boat Show time we have a sales people posting and sturring the pot in the bashing threads.

The #2 source for boat bashing infor come from customers who drink the Kool aid of their fav sales person. So 2nd hand boat basher info is past down and spread here like bad breath.

It's a dog eat dog world out their in the boat sales industry if a guy can put down brand x to sell brand y for a sale hell yes they are gonna do it.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       03-09-2014, 5:51 PM Reply   
Yes and or course ur jet ranger toddwake fanboys that don't even own a boat and stalk other boat owners that truly wakeboard and have and enjoy the boating experience they wish they could.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-09-2014, 6:00 PM Reply   
Often times brand bashing is a bit of a hobbie, it's human nature. I enjoy the butt hurtness that usually transpires. I was gunna make a link to your 'how to kill fire ants!' Thread but it was deleted apparently.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-09-2014, 6:27 PM Reply   
If you have never been in sales, it's easy to put down or label sales pitches as "boat bashing". But in sales you only make money if you make sales, it's very cut and dry. That IS their job. There are many ways to do this but pointing out how your products are superior to others is about the best way to do sales. This can be done by websites, videos, discussions with salespeople and demos. Why build a superior product and not tell the consumer why it's superior? But expecting a salesman to NOT point out what makes their brand better versus the others and why is stupid. I believe this can be done with class and with tact or it can be done in a "snob" fashion. It all comes down the the indivdual sales persons style.

Some customers come in and want the best. Plain and simple. Some want the best "Value". Some want the cheapest. How a salespersons sells to their customers should depend on what category they fall into. All my opinion of course. If the sales person actually listens to their customers thoughts and wants and needs that should dictate the points they focus on.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-09-2014, 7:01 PM Reply   
I saw "tell me why I should buy a Supra" thread and the Momba Vs Axis thread and only read the first few posts and thought that maybe if people Knew where the bashing started and it's trickle down to the Minions people could more easily blow it off like I do. I know it's Sales person propaganda & many of them enjoy stirring up the Ant nest. I'm not Hating on Sales people or their Tequnique I'm just saying that's where it comes from and that's the Game.

Another Fact; I went to a dealership recently and they had a very similar point a bulletin with all of their "build quality points" from which to sell from. Example our fiberglass is 7% thicker than leading brand. Now go out and sell our boats letting anyone thinking about buying any other brand that they are buying a boat with 7% thinner hull ect ect. The list go's on.

At most dealer meetings they have the compositions boat cut in half and on display so they can show the sales force how their boat is better and sell to those points. The sales force learns how to sell their brand by knowing the comps week points. This is just how things are done. This is a fact. And this is where the bashing starts and it rolls down hill from their and ends up Here for us all to argue with each other over.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-09-2014, 7:18 PM Reply   
Never been to a boat dealer in my life, nor talked to a boat salesman.
So much for that theory..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-09-2014, 7:45 PM Reply   
In being a sales professional myself, I would never tell anyone that his/her's baby is ugly.

However, in order to sell, you do have to explore to find what benefits a particular customer the most. It might be the construction process, an exclusive feature, styling, price, cup-holders, ect. The list goes on an on.

Once you discover the customer's hot button, it is your job to point out what needs your product can fill for the customer that their current boat or the competition's boat can't.

Is that "bashing" or helping a customer find what boat best fits his or her needs so they can enjoy boating more?

Unfortunately, some salesmen hear a brand and automatically go into defense mode telling all of the inferior aspects of a brand without exploring what really makes the customer tick which can be perceived as bashing. However, the good salesmen of world can explore enough to get the customer to bash their current boat or the competitors product as long as they can ask the right questions.

Point being, yes, SOME salesmen are notorious for bashing, but it is the consumers that do the most bashing due to unpleasant experiences that weren't dealt with properly or needs that aren't being filled by other products.
Old     (TundraA22)      Join Date: Jan 2014       03-10-2014, 2:49 AM Reply   
You want to see bashing.....step in my world as a snowboard rep! By the way Shaun White sucks ass and Burton **** comes from China! Just sayin
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-10-2014, 3:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraA22 View Post
You want to see bashing.....step in my world as a snowboard rep! By the way Shaun White sucks ass and Burton **** comes from China! Just sayin
Haha. I am surprised to see all the bashing of Shaun White during the Olympics and how much he is hated throughout the snowboarding culture. I don't follow snowboarding much but every time I see Shaun White on the half pipe, he is killing it and getting huge air. He is entertaining to watch. As far as Burton, they have their place in snowboarding. I am not the biggest fan of some of their gear and there is cheaper, better quality gear out which I prefer.
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       03-10-2014, 7:54 AM Reply   
Boat bashing is so much like cell phone users... iphone or android or windows.... all have thier fans and their detractors....but each user seems to think they are the most correct.

It seems pretty dumb to crtiicize anyone's personal choice. They all have positives and negatives that sales folks will exploit if that is what they think you want to hear.

I haven't seen a boat made that doesn't have some negative things written about them.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-10-2014, 8:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraA22 View Post
Guess I should throw away my Burton that I am still riding from 1996. It just won't quit and I can't justify buying a new board when it rides this good after 18 seasons of use!
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-10-2014, 9:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
Guess I should throw away my Burton that I am still riding from 1996. It just won't quit and I can't justify buying a new board when it rides this good after 18 seasons of use!
Ha! I still ride my Gnu from 1995! Just bought new bindings for it this season.

Having been on both sides of the spectrum (working for dealerships (boats and cars) and being in the market for a new boat/truck) I've gotten to the point of doing my own research. As soon as a salesman opens his or her mouth, I generally turn my ears off and go about my inspection/tire kicking process. My best experiences have always been with salesmen who will send you to the rest of the dealers and have you come back when you are done. That is someone with confidence in their product. Bashers, at least in my eyes, have to resort to a 5 year old's tactic of tattling in order to sell their inferior product. Nothing drives me away from a dealer faster.
Attached Images

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-10-2014, 11:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fence_sence View Post
Ha! I still ride my Gnu from 1995! Just bought new bindings for it this season. .
Old     (RideGull)      Join Date: Apr 2012       03-10-2014, 1:15 PM Reply   
Not sure what sales people you have spoken too, but a good salesperson doesnt bash another brand to sell their own.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-10-2014, 1:27 PM Reply   
My old Burton 1996 Jim Rippy pro model is made in the USA. I've got newer gear but it remains one of my favorites.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-10-2014, 1:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Not sure what sales people you have spoken too, but a good salesperson doesnt bash another brand to sell their own.
LOL Welcome to fantasy Island.
Im not trying to throw sales people under the bus. Im in Sale's myself. And In some industry's you don't need to bash or even bring up the comp's Name. But in some Industry's they go directly head to head toe to toe. Remember the Master Craft add's that Zane Did here is a link to what im talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joXHoWz5vPM these were light heart Bashing. Advertising pointing out the comps supposed Weakness not the Advertisers Strengths. These Jab's & Pokes have been around a long time and I don't see them going away anytime soon. Just trying to point out the source and shed light on where most of the bickering comes from, Sure there is going to be Die hard Idiots that do bashing on their own independent of sales people, but IMO this is where the "Measuring Contest" begins
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-10-2014, 1:46 PM Reply   
"Guess I should throw away my Burton that I am still riding from 1996. It just won't quit and I can't justify buying a new board when it rides this good after 18 seasons of use!"

All true if you are just making some turns every once in a while. What new tricks have you learned in last 5-10 years or so? I guarantee that an old stiff board is way different then the new ones.

That is like saying you drive an 18 year old car and it is just as good as a 2014. I don't think so...heated seats, heated outside mirrors and remote start have changed my whole experience of winter, air bags and all wheel drive make me and others safer, etc.

Ok, I do wish the wife hadn't changed in last 18 years of marriage but hey, you can't have everything...

Last edited by scottb7; 03-10-2014 at 1:48 PM.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2014, 2:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideGull View Post
My opinion, but to me the issue is sensitivity.

Any time someone voices an advantage of one product over another on this forum, people immediately get butt hurt and cry that it is bashing. Sales is all about highlighting competitive advantages. The humor here is how upset people get when their particular brand of choice is on the negative side of a comparison. Well, it's either funny or just plain sad...

The Moomba/Axis thread is a great example. The display pictured merely pointed out key differences in construction and equipment. Yet people reacted like the dealer had just stolen a blind man's last dollar. Someone even said on that thread they would buy the Axis even if it was vastly inferior, simply because the dealer had made the list. There is some broseph logic, spend your hard earned dollars on a (for sake of example) inferior product simply because you didn't like a list highlighting product differences.

Seriously, is it summer yet???
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-10-2014, 2:02 PM Reply   
I'm almost 40 years old, this old dog ain't doing new tricks cuz I can't afford to break something at this age!
My 1995 Corvette has heated outside mirror's and it unlocks itself when you walk up to it with the keys in your pocket. Other mfr's did pick up on that stuff for years, maybe my 1996 Burton is the same way. LOL! Guess it depends on the board/car you are comparing and if you bought the base model or not.

j/k - I get it. I was just poking fun at you saying that Burton isn't a good board. We all know that Never Summer is the best snowboard out there anyway because they are made right here in Denver!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-10-2014, 2:06 PM Reply   
Back to the original topic...when I first started shopping for wakeboard boats, the Centurion dealer at the time was the absolute worst brand basher I have ever witnessed. Even if I did like the Centurion better, no way I would have bought it just due to that azz clown. You would bring up something that you liked in another brand and he immediately would say something derogatory about the other brand. By the end of me checking out the boat, I was just picking the boat apart in spite to the point where he got mad at me and told me to quit wasting HIS time and walked off. That dealership went out of business...hmmm, wonder why?
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-10-2014, 4:21 PM Reply   
Matt is absolutely correct. I agree with all your points.
Old     (TundraA22)      Join Date: Jan 2014       03-10-2014, 6:27 PM Reply   
Hahaha! I will say this, I am a rep for Flow Snowboards. I don't bash other brands. Just as with everything I say go and test/demo everything, because everyone has different style/taste/feel and no product is made the exact same. But that does not mean that it is a bad product!

As for the rest of the snowboard conversation, I will go make a post in that section...feel free to join me!