Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       01-18-2011, 5:27 PM Reply   
Do any of you guys use these? Do they twist? Failure rate? What are the benefits? Just curious - thanks!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-18-2011, 5:50 PM Reply   
Only experience I've had is with the old school flat spectra line that hyperlite used to offer. Probably 14-15 years back. They did twist up on quite easily and unless i stayed on it all the time to untwist the line it made it impossible to roll up nicely. I never had one fail on me but at the time I was a beginner.
Old    mojo            01-18-2011, 7:14 PM Reply   
Since you're mr cwb why not just use ya'lls amazing product and not worry about it. And ride an onset while you're at it.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-19-2011, 11:24 AM Reply   
RM, doesn't it seem obvious that they are looking for some feedback on what might be a future product?

My experience with the flat/squared lines was from many years ago. Hardline had their flat line and then little known Stiffline had the smallest diameter line ever. They tangled like a bad set of dreadlocks but sure were nice and light. If you could combine a Stiffline diameter with a plastic coating (and it was durable) you would have a sweet mainline. Just don't get your finger or arm wrapped up in one, those things could take a limb off!
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-20-2011, 5:39 PM Reply   
I think ropes work just fine how they are. just sayin'
Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-20-2011, 5:54 PM Reply   
I hate riding with a square rope. You wouldnt think it makes a difference, but your rope hits the water alot when you ride and jump, and square ropes catch the water when it hits.. Round ropes still hit the water when you ride, but they flow through it when they hit and dont catch.. Its not that you can't ride with square ropes, they just aint my cup of tea...

CH
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       01-26-2011, 10:12 AM Reply   
Interesting thanks for the insight.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-26-2011, 10:20 AM Reply   
you've got to be kidding....
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       01-26-2011, 11:31 AM Reply   
Hey Luke,

Do you have any comments regarding the shaped square and flat molded lines? Yeah that was the first I've heard they could hang up in while riding. I was more concerned about twisting, etc. but all comments are welcome. Thanks
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-26-2011, 8:34 PM Reply   
Luke, boards work just fine how they are too. Should companies stop looking for ways to make them better?
Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-27-2011, 6:33 AM Reply   
Has nobody else ridden with or experienced what Im talking about with square ropes? Go and purchase one of the new Ronix ropes and ride with it and see if you notice the same things... However, Im interested to try out one of the "synthetic wrapped" style ropes as I haven't ridden with one of them yet.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-27-2011, 7:48 AM Reply   
the shape of the jacket on a mainline has no effect on how it pulls you though. I have ridden with the Ronix square rope, and other than when it's in your hand waiting for the handle, you can't tell the difference. The core of the rope is still round and spectra. It still pulls you in the exact same manner any spectra line will, regardless of what kind of jacket is on it.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-27-2011, 9:19 AM Reply   
Or so you think. Who knows what CWB has up their collective sleeves?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-27-2011, 10:30 AM Reply   
How about quick release sections and handles.... Just sayin'

As for shaped ropes... nah. I'd have to say it'd be a gimmick just to do something different. I'd have a hard time believing they'll coil up well. I love my coated Proline. They're sweet just the way they are. As for ropes that coiled nice.... The old lines that had no core were awesome. I think they were Accurate or maybe LF. Those coiled awesome and never stretched once that initial pull had be taken out of them.
Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-27-2011, 11:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke_j View Post
the shape of the jacket on a mainline has no effect on how it pulls you though. I have ridden with the Ronix square rope, and other than when it's in your hand waiting for the handle, you can't tell the difference. The core of the rope is still round and spectra. It still pulls you in the exact same manner any spectra line will, regardless of what kind of jacket is on it.
I guess everyone has their opinions but I tend to disagree with you here. Different jackets have different weights, and different materials "feel" different and have an effect the way the rope rides. Ive only ridden with a square rope about 10 sets (at least 5 hours worth of riding), and from my experience, they tend to be much more catchy because of their flat surfaces slapping the water.

CH
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-27-2011, 11:59 AM Reply   
Back in the day there was a flat line made by Liquid Force called the shoe lace. This was during the time of the cottony pure spectra lines so it was an improvement, but it still twisted and tangled notoriously. All ropes twist, but the geometry in flat or square lines leads to tangles more often.

If the only upside is fashion, I would stay away from square/flat lines.

Please excuse the spelling, but I love Dyeema ropes (They are round). I have chased this product from: Masterline to Hardline to straight line and now I am riding the helium version. All of them are the exact same rope. Every line has lasted 3-4 years from 250-300 rides a year (I used to live at a ski school) and resist tangling even when well twisted.