Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-14-2010, 3:33 AM Reply   
Standup finals passes, well semis then finals. Who wins. Who passes eachother in the semis and who wins the finals. All 4 of their runs are so different in that I don't think either of them could stand up their opponents hardest run, so how can you say one was better. It is going to be so hard this year to judge events having 4 guys so good. We are used to 1 or 2 but not 4. This tour should be live webcasted on fuel tv because it is sure to be one hell of an exciting show.

My problem is this only includes those 4 where we also have Bob, Jim, Harf and maybe JD or Adam that can also take a contest if they stand up. Obviously the biggest threat is Bob. He very well could come out on top of the rankings this year. I think him and his brother are the only two riders right now that can truly beat a standup Harley Clifford pass.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-14-2010, 5:35 AM Reply   
In my opinion there isn't anyone that can beat a Harley Clifford stand up pass. If you can name me a rider that has all 4 FS 9s off the wake, SW and Reg K5, SW and Reg BS 7s, Blind pete, mobe 5, etc.. etc.. etc.. I'd like to know. Rathy is the only one that can come close and I still think Harley's mobes are better.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-14-2010, 6:17 AM Reply   
after that last Norbi vid I agree.... he did every trick that made me "WOW" that Phil did in The Truth (great part).... in what looked like 1 set.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-14-2010, 6:40 AM Reply   
It's anyones game. Depends on the day, the conditions, etc.. Rusty rules in rough water.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-14-2010, 7:19 AM Reply   
Based on recent vids Harley looks tough to beat if he has a stand up run, but this is why we have contests to sort this stuff out. Contest performances are often different from freeride runs caught on video edited and posted. I wouldn't bet the farm against any of the riders mentioned.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-14-2010, 7:21 AM Reply   
If they all throw their hardest stuff...Harley. It's not even that close.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-14-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
I agree with J-rod on this one. Depends on the Day although I would say that at the moment Harley is the best rider out there.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-14-2010, 7:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luker View Post
In my opinion there isn't anyone that can beat a Harley Clifford stand up pass. If you can name me a rider that has all 4 FS 9s off the wake, SW and Reg K5, SW and Reg BS 7s, Blind pete, mobe 5, etc.. etc.. etc.. I'd like to know. Rathy is the only one that can come close and I still think Harley's mobes are better.
There is a big difference between what a rider can throw and what a rider will throw and land in a final.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-14-2010, 7:59 AM Reply   
basically i think it will just come down to style and whoevers run looks the best overall.

no offense to the riders but i really think rusty and phillip need to work on their style because aaron and harley by far look way better on the water than them. rusty seems to look like a tank just yanking himself around in circles with his power. and phillip on the other hand is really smooth with all his tricks but his tricks to me look like he learned them out of a book, so basically he does not have his own style.

harley and rathy..... rediculously crazy and both have their own individual styles... i think that harley may come out on top because of his consistancy but if rathy throws down it will be a very difficult decision between the two.

dont forget about bob soven i think he may talk the talk and get into everyones head and pull off a couple wins himself
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-14-2010, 11:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltawake View Post
There is a big difference between what a rider can throw and what a rider will throw and land in a final.
The question was not who will win considering all variables. The question was if everybody sticks all their sh*t... who takes it.
Old     (JohnM)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-14-2010, 11:59 AM Reply   
Are double ups not being considered in this discussion?

Rusty and Rathy both have 10's. Do Harley Clifford and Phil Soven have 10's?

I agree with J-Rod seems like Rusty and Rathy can pull it together in the rougher conditions.

The water at the Knoxville Tour Stop looked terrible and I believe that Rathy started his run for the King of Wake by winning that event.
Old     (supernatural)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-14-2010, 2:00 PM Reply   
I think that if all of them put down a full pull, Harley is the winner, assuming he throws multiple mobe 5's like weall know he can. Water conditions definatly play a big part though, when its rough i would think Rathy takes it. This should be a great contest season to watch. cant wait.
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-14-2010, 2:51 PM Reply   
i would think phil is doing everything he can to reclaim his title.... time will tell though.
Old     (kwipp)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-14-2010, 8:40 PM Reply   
Its nice to see the sport growing, they all throw down and I think it would come down to intensity, style, and cleaness.
Old     (blaine4oh5)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-15-2010, 9:07 AM Reply   
i was hoping after the title it would say "had a baby"
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-15-2010, 9:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarslayer View Post
...no offense to the riders but i really think rusty and phillip need to work on their style because aaron and harley by far look way better on the water than them. rusty seems to look like a tank just yanking himself around in circles with his power. and phillip on the other hand is really smooth with all his tricks but his tricks to me look like he learned them out of a book, so basically he does not have his own style.
I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I never thought I'd see the day where someone was calling out Rusty and Phil saying they need more style. Yeah, and Rusty is pretty much a tank compared to the rest of the riders.
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-15-2010, 10:01 AM Reply   
First off, before I get tore down for this one, I really like Rusty. But I agree I just don't think he has a smooth style that I would call "stylish". He is a tank but that is what makes him fun to watch. Is he butter on the water like a Benny G or Vandall. NO. Is his Indy Glide off the double sweet? Hell Ya. Stylish no, Fun to watch yes. Great guy to represent the sport. YES. Sorry I still think Rathy is the guy to beat this year. Harley is the man though. Even though he is just a boy.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-15-2010, 10:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
no offense to the riders but i really think rusty and phillip need to work on their style
Just because you don't like their style, doesn't mean they have any. Style is so subjective.... Rusty and Park's spins look OUT OF CONTROL to me, but thats half the reason I like them.... while they may not fit to what you like, they have THEIR OWN style, which is more important to me