Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (michaelb)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-27-2009, 5:42 PM Reply   
so basically i just want to know how to cut extremely sharp on a slalom ski,and any little training that would help me get the motion,i posted it on here,because alot of wakeboarders i know either have tried skiing or came from it,so any advice is welcome and appreciated,and also does the speed affect the diifculty of the cut?
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-27-2009, 6:01 PM Reply   
I assume by "cutting sharp" you mean carving a turn as if to go around a slalom buoy.
Build up speed as you swing out wide away from the wake, flatten your ski for a moment and change edges, leaning in toward the boat. At this point slowly bring the handle in to your leading hip and lean back against the rope. At this point you will accelerate rapidly toward the wake, building up speed. The point that you changed your edge will create a nice wall of water from your ski but you shouldn't look at it, trust me it's there.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-27-2009, 6:59 PM Reply   
**hi jack**

I dont get to board this summer due to grades(long story), but i still want to be out on the water, and i figure single skiing is better then tubing,

so my question is, how do you get up on a single ski? ive tried like twice and never got close,

sorry for the hi jack
Old     (pstar94)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-27-2009, 7:29 PM Reply   
try gettin up with just your front foot in. knee to the chest with your back foot just kinda there to balance you in the water. get up completely...then slide your back foot in. (doesnt work with double boot obviously)
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-27-2009, 7:48 PM Reply   
we dont have the double boot. just that little slide in thing. i dont get what you mean though to be honest. where would i put my back foot? on the ski or off of it?
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-27-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
WHOOOA do i have the wrong site.... Is this www.Skiworld.com?? correct me if im wrong
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-28-2009, 9:23 AM Reply   
ha yea this will get moved quick.

david, just drag your back leg back and next to the ski, toes pointed out and down. It kind of acts like a rudder, but it's more about having your knee into your chest, and keeping it there until you start to come up and out and then just extent up with your knee and chest. Ski size has a lot to do with it too.

Michael, cutting hard, and turning hard is all about control going into the turn. Open up, let the ski swing around, don't force it too much, then progressively edge in, with your arms out and down at waist level, and your knees out over the balls of your feet and chest out, shoulders slightly back. Cranking turns faster comes with control, and when you start cutting faster don't get pulled over (chest over knees).

32ish mph
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-28-2009, 7:42 PM Reply   
Have you slalom skied before or just on two. If you can't ski on two and drop one it is very doughtful you are going to go get up slalom skiing.
Old     (ntoscani)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-28-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
(Nick in the TC) I don't totaly agree with having to learn by "dropping a ski", although i have heard it is easier for some people to learn this way. I could never drop a ski while riding, yet first time deep water slalom i got up. Just keep that knee to your chest and don't fight the ski. .02
Old     (michaelb)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-29-2009, 6:42 AM Reply   
i can drop one and deep water start with one,the reason i want to learn this is because i had only attempted to ski once and didn't make it,but last summer i had been wakeboarding and riding my indo board for awhile,and a got up first try then skied for awhile dropped one did that twice then just deep water started(i got up first try) with the slalom from then on,this was all in the course of an half-hour,but nick dropping one is only easier if you have good balance with both feet independently,if not the deep water starts are easier.and also is this an unusual learning curve for a person coming into skiing,i mean going from never gotten up to deep water starts with just the slalom ski in less than half an hour,because i do learn fast but my friend who had skiied for longer than i've been alive said it would take a day at the least to learn each step and he was amazed at my progretion rate,i thought nothing of it at the time.but with teaching a few of my friends i can start to see that i may have learned at an accelarated rate,just wondering about this.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-29-2009, 7:29 AM Reply   
Dave, getting up on the slalom ski is in a way similar to wakeboarding in that if you lean to far forward you will fall forward and if you lean to far back the handle will be ripped from your hand because your plow through the water, so its just a matter of finding the balance.