Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old    woof            08-13-2004, 6:44 AM Reply   
I jus got a CWB Tattoo w/ Mobe bindings, only problem is figuring out which holes/angles are best 4 a brand new rider. any advice? thanks
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-13-2004, 9:35 AM Reply   
Lay the board on the ground, jump up next to it and land. That will be your natural way your feet go when you land-or angles- Width should be just past shoulders. Foot angles though is whatevers comfortable
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-13-2004, 10:28 AM Reply   
Most would suggest a ducked stance (toes angled out about 10 or so degrees) that is shoulder width wide. The suggestion to jump is good, that will help you find your balanced and comfortable width of stance. Measure your shoulder width and transfer that approximately to the binding on center distance. Bend your knees too to see how comfortable it feels when you compress.

The toe angles are important and can make or break your comfort level. You may find after riding that your knees are sore, you may have to adjust the angles.

Charge the wake.
Old    ozonerider            08-13-2004, 5:14 PM Reply   
Good advice from both jbjboc and flux, I'd just add that what seems really comfortable at first may not always be the setup for best control.

I originally set my bindings pretty well ducked out (maybe about 20+ degrees), but when I took a lesson the pro suggested that I put my feet a little more parallel. The reason? When your feet are ducked out alot you have less leverage on the board for toeside and heelside because the lever arm is shorter (the point where you are applying pressure is closer to the board centerline). Also, your feet and ankles are built to provide maximum support/control along their centerlines, not off-axis.

Try this test --- stand with your feet ducked out 30-45 degrees and rock back and forth between your toes and heels like you were turning. Now put your feet parallel and do the same thing. Both stances are exaggerated, but you'll get a feel for the trade-off between comfort and control.

As far as stance width is concerned, I found a slightly narrower stance than what I had been using before kept the board from getting squirrely and sideslipping.

Bottom line is that it takes some experimenting to find what's right for you. Don't be afraid to mess around with your stance until you find out what's "just right".