Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old     (scottyb)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-18-2003, 9:17 AM Reply   
Whats is it called when you hit the wake switch and throw a tantrum then pull back to normal in the air.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-18-2003, 9:22 AM Reply   
Half-Cab Tantrum.
Old    lakesideluver            08-18-2003, 9:48 AM Reply   
scott anything thrown switch is just called half-cab + whatever you threw.....lets just land the tantrum first mmmmkkkkaayyyy????
Old    lakesideluver            08-18-2003, 9:50 AM Reply   
wait a min ill eat those words, when you hit it switch its a half cab but i think bringing it back to regular would make that a halfcab tantrum to revert
Old     (bigjessup)      Join Date: May 2002       08-18-2003, 9:52 AM Reply   
Half-cab is any trick where you leave the wake switch and land regualr.
Old    lakesideluver            08-18-2003, 9:56 AM Reply   
okay i was right the first time lol
Old    wakeboardjo            08-18-2003, 10:12 AM Reply   
tantrum + 360, no handle pass= scarecrow?

(Message edited by wakeboardjo on August 18, 2003)
Old    jzwake            08-18-2003, 10:41 AM Reply   
What? Half cab is leave Switch Land Regular, so the tantrum would be called a halfcab tantrum.
tantrum with a 360 and no handle pass is:

Fronside rotation: something yoou just invented
Backside rotation: whirlybird

Scarecrow is a Toe side approach trick , and is a frontroll to revert.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-18-2003, 10:49 AM Reply   
Half-Cab is when you hit the wake switch, do a frontside 180 and land regular. So any trick that involves that rotation will have half-cab in the title.
Old    boardfox            08-18-2003, 1:59 PM Reply   
Chris i think you might be thinking of a big worm which is a combination of a scarecrow and a whirlybird. basically a toeside front with an overhead 3. As for the other trick i would just call it a switch tantrum to revert
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-18-2003, 4:31 PM Reply   
a big worm is a toeside front roll with an overhead 540, also called a ts whirly. A diesel is a ts front roll with an overhead 3. I haven't ever seen a diesel done. I would imagine a big worm would be more possible since you're controlling your rotation with your front arm.
Old     (skerzz)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-18-2003, 4:45 PM Reply   
What would it be called if you do a tantrum but keep both hands on the handle. My friend named it the Willy Wonka Flip Flop. Anyone else seen this done?
Old     (tantrum20)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-18-2003, 4:49 PM Reply   
a tantrum is called a tantrum... a plain tantrum involves no switch or 180 whatsoever... a switch tantrum to revert is a half cab tantrum... and a switch tantrum is also called a cab tantrum... half cab= switch approach+ regular landing, cab=switch approach+ switch landing... get it?? there's also a spiderman which is a whirly with the back hand and a mobydick which is a tantrum with backside 360 handle passed...

thane was right about the diesel and big worm...

skerzz... I think that's what they call a frantrum... never seen one and don't even think it deserves a name... same as a tindy grab... just a lame execution of a move...

(Message edited by tantrum20 on August 18, 2003)
Old     (skerzz)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-18-2003, 7:32 PM Reply   
Tantrum20- When my friend does it, it looks completely different than a tantrum. The board is tweaked out and the rotation looks different. Looks like a completely different trick. How is it "just a lame execution of a move" when you have never seen one done. IMO it looks 10x better than a tantrum that everyone and their grandma can do.
Old     (tantrum20)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-19-2003, 9:29 AM Reply   
IMO, keeping two hands on the handle when attempting a tantrum isn't personal style... it's just a misunderstanding of a basic invert...
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-19-2003, 9:33 AM Reply   
Jonathan not a bag on you, but a switch Tantrum is called a swith tantrum, not a cab tantrum. In order to call anything "Cab" it has to have at least 360 degree switch frontside rotation.
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-19-2003, 9:50 AM Reply   
I usedta could do a HS frontroll really clean. But latley I have been throwing them really wierd and I don't like doing them anymore. The main reason is I don't keep my board perpedicular to the wake so when it is thrown, the people in the boat think I'm doing a two handed tantrum. I even watched it on film and the only thing that let me know when I was trying a front roll and not a tantrum, is that I had two hands on the handle. It's a bad habit that I need to shake. I agree that this trick doesn't deserve it's own name. It's a missunderstanding of a different roll or flip.
Old    jzwake            08-19-2003, 10:05 AM Reply   
Cab is short for Half-cab thats why when a snowboarder or skater does a Cab 540 he hits the jump switch and lands regular. Kristian: only a 180 not 360 and could really be either front or backside.
Old     (skerzz)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-19-2003, 6:39 PM Reply   
Is there such think as a h/s front roll? I thought it was a h/s front flip
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-19-2003, 10:37 PM Reply   
"Cab" is 360 or more
"Half-Cab" is 180
Cab is short for Cabalairal (Sp) it comes from Steve Caballero pro-skate boarder, and is only switch frontside.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-20-2003, 10:36 AM Reply   
Skerrz - you're exactly right my friend.

Kristian - you're exactly right my friend.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       08-20-2003, 9:17 PM Reply   
Technically, cab is just used for a fakie 360. Anything more is just a fakie 540, etc. And realistically, you can't cab on a wakeboard because you can't do a fakie ollie off of your nose, but people use the term anyway (more so in snowboaridng than wakeboarding, but you can kind of initiate the spin off of your nose on a snowboard).

I think someone mentioned that a 180 could be a cab if it's frontside or backside. I don't know the history of it, but this is done in snowboarding if you do a switch backside 180. But, in order for it to be a considered a "frontside cab" the 180 has to be initiated off of the nose of the deck. It's weird....

The two handed tantrum used to be performed by brannan johnson. I don't recall if a two handed automatically made you go frantrum, but a frantrum is a combo of a frontflip and a tantrum. It's quite ugly and it isn't a "named" trick so to speak (or not in any respectable way). But, style is subjective so.....

Lastly, there might be a diesel in the april 1997 issue of wakeboarding magazine. I'm tired, so I can't actually remember if it's todd brendel doing a diesel or a big wurm, but todd did invent it (the diesel).
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-20-2003, 10:45 PM Reply   
I remember that issue of wakeboardimg mag. I think the Diesel was a ts backroll with the whirly style bs 3. So it looks just like a whirly bird. But I'm not sure.
Old     (tantrum20)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-21-2003, 4:54 AM Reply   
sorry, about that cab thing... with a fs 360 is what I really meant but I kinda got lost in what I really wanted to say... of course I didn't know that much about it but thanks to kris, I'm now more informed...
oh kris, a diesel is a ts frontroll with overhead 360...

(Message edited by tantrum20 on August 21, 2003)
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       08-21-2003, 8:56 AM Reply   
Yeah, I wanted to say that if any of you have taped any old tour stops, go back and watch the first stop from 1999 because erik ruck threw a diesel in his pass.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-21-2003, 1:33 PM Reply   
I'll look through my vids for that one.
Yeah, I've never seen the diesel, sounds complicated though.
Does anybody know what the ts backroll with a backside 3 over head handle (whirly style) is called??