Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       12-16-2013, 7:39 PM Reply   
Fixing to start a new build on another x80. Wanting massive spl, but still have some sq. hoping to stay with jl amps, so something that won't require more than 1200 watts rms per sub
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-16-2013, 9:58 PM Reply   
I put a couple of sundown audio sa 10's in my buddies truck and was more than impressed for the price and output. I'd suggest looking into them they blow w3's away and I thought the sq was still pretty good too.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-16-2013, 11:29 PM Reply   
Jake's subs (Sundown Audio) should suit you well. He cares about SQ just as much as SPL and he puts out a quality product (I bought his first ever production amplifier several years ago and still have it in my car driving a pair of Rainbow separates).

The other brand I might consider is RE Audio, but may be a bit power hungry.
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       12-17-2013, 9:10 AM Reply   
I did two sundown 10" Zv3's in our cruiser... with a wetsounds/arc 1000x1 @ 1ohm on each woofer in a ported 1 cf box each... it SLAMS. It hits harder than the two 12" XXX's in my nautique... but I think that is also box design and location. with only 1200wrms each, I would stick with the 10", but you could probably get away with two 12" Zv3's in 2cf boxes.

Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-17-2013, 10:54 AM Reply   
Dd 9915 with quad coils and a jl slash 1k on each coil. Plus the 12's your were thinking of.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       12-18-2013, 12:41 PM Reply   
Why not just go with Wetsounds XXX? Or 12 W7s? The RMS should be spot on for those subs. Im going with a single XXXv2 in my new Axis. I cant wait to get the system put in so I can give some feedback on it
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       12-18-2013, 1:44 PM Reply   
wanting something a little different, anyone know anything about the cerwin vega stroker subs?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-18-2013, 1:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliottsx80 View Post
wanting something a little different, anyone know anything about the cerwin vega stroker subs?
Wow, I didn't even know they still made those things! Since we are going old school brands, check out Orion too!
http://www.orioncaraudio.com/26-hcca-series-subwoofers-
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-18-2013, 4:49 PM Reply   
how about jbl w15gti? Will run in a cube and a half sealed, or 4 cubes ported.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-18-2013, 6:09 PM Reply   
If you really want something different and you don't mind the coin too much, contact Sundown Audio and ask Jake if he or his buddy Nick Lemons can custom build you one to your specifications. I have met both of them and they just don't make products to sell. They genuinely know their stuff and they care very much about the performance of subwoofers.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-19-2013, 4:43 AM Reply   
For spl you would be best to stick with the spl companies. Digital designs, dc audio, sundown, treo, etc. Being here in oklahoma you can always drive downtown and check out dd's production facility.

Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-19-2013, 6:37 AM Reply   
The current world record holders should give you a good insight. Glancing through the shocker brand seems to be doing dang well. Maybe another one to look into. http://www.termpro.com/asp/worldreco...p?ListMethod=1

Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       12-20-2013, 11:19 AM Reply   
There's is no free ride or easy solution when it comes to SPL versus SQ. The excessive pursuit of one definitely means a compromise in the other. Period. This applies to both the sub driver and the sub enclosure. Physics dictate that you cannot have the best of both in a single speaker that also happens to work well in a modest size of enclosure.
There is a lot of SPL garbage out their with bogus Thiele/Small specs giving it the appearance of also being an SQ driver. There is a lot of garbage out their where the 10, 12, 15 and 18" drivers of the same series use the same size voice coil, same size spider and same motor structure. That can't possibly represent SQ.
There are tons of YouTube videos on SPL woofers that sound like a bass burp/fart. So pay attention to the SQ and the type of music people listen to. Many proponents of one brand or another have never heard bass SQ nor is it what they are really after....but for some reason cannot admit that it's not an SQ speaker.
Pick one or the other but don't be a sheep and led to believe that one woofer excels at everything.