Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-03-2008, 8:24 PM Reply   
So after way too much research, I think I have decided on the amp set up for my boat. If some stereo guys could give me some feed back on my amp decision, I would appreciate it. I chose Kicker for the price, I can get both amps to my door for under $450. I know they are not the best, but also not the worst. My main concern is powering the speakers correctly, while still having decent sound quality, for a reasonable price.

Powering 2 Wetsounds XS-650's per channel. Most likely just 6, but room to expand if needed.

Kicker ZX650.4
RMS Power in Watts, all channels driven @14.4
Volts, 4ohms¸ stereo, 120 x 4

Powering one pair of Wetsounds Pro 60's on a single channel, and then a 10 in sub on the remaining bridged channels.

Kicker ZX850.4
RMS Power in Watts, all channels driven @14.4
@ 4 ohms, stereo 175 x 4
@ 4 ohms¸ mono, 425 x 2

(Message edited by brian young on April 03, 2008)
Old     (echo_parker)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-03-2008, 8:48 PM Reply   
We are running about 6500 combined watts of kicker power; Our boat is in Lake Havasu where the boat sits in 115 degree heat,we have never had any problems with them over heating or just shutting off. You will have a lot of people that don't like Kicker but, I have had nothing but good experiences with them.
I cannot really comment on the way you are setting up your system as I don't know to much about it, However I know when a system sounds good.
Good luck with everything, I think you will be happy with kicker especially for the price.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-03-2008, 10:24 PM Reply   
I love my kicker amps. Have them in my truck and boat. Never had any problems with them either. And it gets hot as *bleeep* in MS, and humid as *bleeep* too! And they've never had a problem what so ever!
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-04-2008, 7:10 PM Reply   
Thanks for the thumbs up on kicker amps guys. I never really thought they made a bad product at thier price, just not the best product at any price.

Does anybody know it these amps are the right power for the speakers I have chosen? That is my main concern. I want to ensure I don't under or over power the speakers.

(Message edited by brian young on April 04, 2008)
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-04-2008, 8:51 PM Reply   
Call the guys at WetSounds and run this setup by them. They did a great job in helping me setup my system from an amp perspective. The Pro 60s handle can handle 150 Watts RMS so you are good with them. Just make sure to set the gain correctly.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-04-2008, 11:47 PM Reply   
brian,

dont worry about over powering your speakers - you will hear it when it happens and chances are you wont do any damage.

underpowering is way worse - that is what fries the voice coils.

here is a good rule of thumb( ie mid range ) for a boat (imo - so take it with a grain of salt and it really depends on the gear )

100-125 rms per channel to cabin speakers, 250 rms per channel to towers, and 500 - 1000 rms per sub

(Message edited by clubmyke on April 04, 2008)
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-07-2008, 6:47 AM Reply   
Anthiny are you sayign 6500 RMS??? That is huge! Do you have an generator to power it?

problem with decent amps overheating , is usually related to low voltage, not bad quality.