Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-06-2009, 10:04 AM Reply   
Im in process of building a editing computer. these are stats im lm looking at. I going to be using vista 64bit OS. I wont be using this computer online at. Only for editing. So no chance of viruses. Im spoiled with my macbook. Ill be installing CS4 and editing on dual monitors. Alot of cooling also

AMD Phenom 64 Bit Quad Core CPU

8GB DDR2 Corsair PC6400 RAM

1TB total harddrive capacity 2 x 500GB Western Digital SATA harddrives in RAID 0 for the faster performance

Dual ATI Hybrid SLI graphics

22X Dual Layer DVD & CD Burner w/ Lightscribe
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-06-2009, 4:17 PM Reply   
go w/ intel.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-06-2009, 4:46 PM Reply   
No way. AMD is serious business.
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-06-2009, 7:46 PM Reply   
i dont know the amd quad core is really good price and ive heard pretty mixed reviews. some like it some dont.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-07-2009, 7:48 AM Reply   
i say intel.....AMD is on the verge of losing the right to produce x86 chips because of apparent violations of contracts with intel or something like that.....at least that is what i read recently....of course, i'm a mac zealot as some people would say. I say get a mac pro and stop effin around in PC land. LOL!
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-07-2009, 10:44 PM Reply   
I am running almost the same config.
Phenom II 940
8 gb OCZ PC6400
Raid 0 array
1 tb Main Drive
ATI AIW X1900
Windows 7

I have both CS3 and CS4 Extended, CS3 runs faster. Nate-O you are on crack, read what your wrote, it makes 0 sense. Exactly how can someone take away the right to produce a product when they have no claim to the technology?

Is it to late to get CS4??? CS3 runs so much faster. Also, yes go with a 64 bit system, Windows 7 is so much more stable and faster than Vista even in Beta form.

(Message edited by rson on April 07, 2009)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-07-2009, 10:54 PM Reply   
nate, please tell us why a mac pro is better. thanks.
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-07-2009, 11:21 PM Reply   
Nate I use a macbook for my daily internet browsing and editing at the moment. I love it great computer. But I just cant afford a 1,500 dollar Imac or Macbook pro. which is even more.

PC is just more affordable and The software Cs4 and Cs3 are much cheaper to find then Final cut software

Rich so your running windows 7 with cs3? do you not see any benefits from using cs4? And your saying stay away from vista totally?
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       04-08-2009, 2:28 AM Reply   
Intel can't be touched right now, several of there models, even ones below 300, are putting a beat down on AMD in benchmarks. don't skimp out on the processor.

If you can swing it the 10k rpm velociraptor drives are awesome, I'd like to have two in a raid setup but i just run one 300gb for my OS and programs and a 500gb SATA for my videos.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-08-2009, 7:01 AM Reply   
Geez - how many operating systems does Microsoft have out there?

I saw a pretty cool (no pun intended) PC at Fry's the other day, it had a transparent case with a bunch of glowing blue lights on the inside and tubes full of liquid I guess coming out of it. That's the one to get!
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-08-2009, 7:26 AM Reply   
fry has computers?
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-08-2009, 8:06 AM Reply   
Dirty,
I have every OS MS puts out (I am a Partner). I ran XP X64 for a long time and it was very stable and used all my ram. Then I went to Vista and it was ok, some tweaky issues but nothing big. Then I got the Windows 7 Beta and LOVE IT. It is basically Vista Fixed.

As for CS3 vs. CS4, I have both. CS4 has 64 bit support and video card utilization BUT it is a performance hog. If you read the fine print about the video card usage it is NOT for performance, but visual aspect such as flicking images and quicker and smoother zooming in.

Read this, It might rethink your video card purchase.

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb404898

Using both and also reading the forums, CS3 does everything and more that I need.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-08-2009, 8:19 AM Reply   
Also,
I would drop it down to 1 video card and add a stand alone drive for storage. If your raid drive fails you lose it all. You have double the chance to fail.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-08-2009, 12:03 PM Reply   
ha ha.....no reason needed....i was just leaving bait...looks like i hooked a big one.....Mr. Joe Umali himself.....LOL...my real suggestion was just to stick with Intel. People like what they like and there are different reasons to go with one over the other. I'm not going to argue that. I have been on both sides of the realm...PC and Mac. Now, I'm all mac all the time because thats my preference. Personally, I just don't like Windows. So really its more of an operating system thing for me. To each their own.

-Nate
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-08-2009, 12:04 PM Reply   
RICH: READ THIS.....I'M NOT ON CRACK!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/16/intel-threatens-amd-with-termination-of-x86-license-within-60-d/

Or this:

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/03/16/1839231&from=rss

OR MORE IN DEPTH EXPLANATION HERE:

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/16585

(Message edited by iamnathanhudson on April 08, 2009)
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-08-2009, 4:45 PM Reply   
It appears Joe recently switched from Nikon to Canon so there's still hope!Upload
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-09-2009, 11:29 AM Reply   
Verge of losing is a stretch. More like they are going into mediation. WOW, Mediation. STILL A far cry from losing anything. Read the Reuters report, not someone's opinion injected blog.

From Intel's website: "Under terms of the license agreement the notification to AMD means the parties will attempt to resolve the dispute through mediation. In response to the notification AMD claimed Intel breached the agreement by notifying AMD of its breach. Intel believes that position is inconsistent with the dispute resolution process outlined in the original agreement."
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-09-2009, 6:28 PM Reply   
Recall this quote:

"Nate-O you are on crack, read what your wrote, it makes 0 sense. Exactly how can someone take away the right to produce a product when they have no claim to the technology?"

You come out swinging acting like what I said made no sense as if Intel didn't have the license in the first place. You say I'm on crack. I prove that there is rumblings and Intel is threatening to revoke AMD's licensing. REGARDLESS OF WHICH STAGE THEY ARE AT THEY STILL ARE THREATENING.

I read Reuters and hmmmm this quote i copied and pasted from it might be handy...

"Intel is threatening to terminate AMD's rights in 60 days if the alleged breach is not corrected, according to the filing."

I was simply right and you were pretty much clueless about it all and thought you would step up to the mic. And now that you realize, you try and dumb it down as if your still right.

I love it when people can't admit that they might have been wrong. Why can't they say......."damn, I didn't realize that....good find" and then move on.

All I'm saying is next time, don't come freakin swinging and telling me i'm on crack. I don't know you and you don't know me. We all enjoy wakeboarding and having a good time. So stop coming off as if I'm an idiot because I don't really appreciate it! If you hadn't come off as such an @$$ about it, I wouldn't be so fired up right now. Usually, I just joke and poke at the people that act like @$$e$ but for some reason your comments just rubbed me the wrong way. All you had to do was say, "What are you talking about?" and we could have discussed it further.

I'm freakin done.....argueing on the internet is freaking RETARDED. I generally try and avoid all the stupid arguements and when i do say something, its usually down the middle of the line as not to offend anyone. That is unless I'm having fun with some people, I'll purposefully say a smart ass remark to stir a reaction. Such as the mac comment I made which i explained.

-Nate

(Message edited by iamnathanhudson on April 09, 2009)
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-09-2009, 8:38 PM Reply   
I can't imagine going back to a PC. I guess I am just not smart enough to use those things....
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-11-2009, 9:01 PM Reply   
haha great thread. dont worry boys. Ive rethought my purchase. Im not going to pc. Im going to wait it out and buy a imac mmmhmmm
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-11-2009, 9:39 PM Reply   

quote:

By DirtyCracker (ghettofab) on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 9:01 pm:

haha great thread. dont worry boys. Ive rethought my purchase. Im not going to pc. Im going to wait it out and buy a imac mmmhmmm

problem solved.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-11-2009, 9:54 PM Reply   
Damn I made one counterpoint and you wig out.

May I recommend some Prozac. The fact of the matter is that I and A have a disagreement. This happens in business all the time. Most of the time it is posturing. SOOO, they go to mediation and get stroked for a while, pay craploads of money for it and nothing becomes of it. Being on the verge of losing anything is like me being on the verge of winning the lotto just cause I bought a ticket.
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-12-2009, 6:19 AM Reply   
you guys should hug and make up
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-13-2009, 10:52 PM Reply   
macs rule....
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-14-2009, 5:25 AM Reply   
Im not going to pc. Im going to wait it out and buy a imac mmmhmmm

Good call. I'm very much enjoying Aperture on my new 24" iMac.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-14-2009, 10:41 AM Reply   
ALIENWARE!
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-14-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
Minus the cool case, you can build the same machine and save yourself some $$
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-14-2009, 1:02 PM Reply   
Yeah i use www.tigerdirect.com as I am sure most other people that know a few things about computers on this forum do.