Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (lalh20)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-07-2011, 2:20 PM Reply   
I was fortunate enough to go to KC Watersports this sunday for my first time at a cable park. I absolutely loved it but definitely learned some stuff (like cable park ropes are like rubber bands!).

Now to my main question - I realized that cable parks go MUCH slower than I'm used to (i currently ride behind a boat 22mph). I was renting a board because I don't have a slider dedicated board yet but I had to go back and rent a larger board than I'm used to to accomodate for the slower speed. Now that I know I love the cable park, I want to buy a board to use there. What size should I get?

I normally ride a 134 which yes, I know is still a little small for my size, 5'10'' and 185 LBS. What would you say is the size of board to go with for someone my size at that slow of speed? Are all cable parks pulling around 18-19mph?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-07-2011, 2:30 PM Reply   
A 142-144cm board should do fine.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-07-2011, 6:42 PM Reply   
134 is pretty tiny for your size dude, I would suggest at least a 141 for cable and boat. Im totally biased but I think hybrid boards offer the best experience for riders who do both boat and cable
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-07-2011, 6:45 PM Reply   
Are hybrid boards less fun/harder to press on rails and whatnot? I've been trying to decide if I should have separate boards for boat and cable or just get a hybrid for both.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-07-2011, 7:02 PM Reply   
yo hebrew hammer im having the same problemmmm
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-07-2011, 7:50 PM Reply   
It's a real dilemma man! I've been going back and forth a lot. I demoed the 2012 O'brien Paradigm (a hybrid) behind the boat and it felt great, but I dunno what it would be like on rails. My local shop has a 2010 SS Recoil for sale really cheap. I'm thinking of demoing that to see what a softer flex board feels like. The problem is that I can't try either on cable.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-07-2011, 8:20 PM Reply   
Hhammer...you will see a large # of the top guys riding the hybrids over at mccormicks. Come out this weekend to Nationals and see what these guys can do. Theres also some night riding going on Fri-Sun.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-07-2011, 8:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Hhammer...you will see a large # of the top guys riding the hybrids over at mccormicks. Come out this weekend to Nationals and see what these guys can do. Theres also some night riding going on Fri-Sun.
Word, I'll be there at least one of the days. I heard there's a demo day. Does that mean a demonstration of riding by the pros or a chance for joes like me to demo boards? Have you heard about this?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-08-2011, 8:14 AM Reply   
OWC runs the advanced cable close to 20. I'd say a 140 would be about right for you. IMO the slower speed on the cable vs the boat doesn't translate to a larger board., but YMMV. I'm 5'-8", 155lbs, ride a 134 on the cable, and either a 134 or 140 behind the board. I run the boat about 3 mph faster than the cable.

I've been riding the Motive for many years now. You can find them cheap used or on eBay. I tear them up on the cable in a season so it's hard to justify spending hundreds on a board for a single season.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-08-2011, 4:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
It's a real dilemma man! I've been going back and forth a lot. I demoed the 2012 O'brien Paradigm (a hybrid) behind the boat and it felt great, but I dunno what it would be like on rails. My local shop has a 2010 SS Recoil for sale really cheap. I'm thinking of demoing that to see what a softer flex board feels like. The problem is that I can't try either on cable.
i ride the paradigm as my cable board, its super tough and slides awesome on the rails
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-08-2011, 5:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarslayer View Post
i ride the paradigm as my cable board, its super tough and slides awesome on the rails
J.B.,

First of all, congrats on coming back so quickly from your injury. Your new video is sick! Anyway, IIRC you ride the Format instead of the paradigm behind the boat. If so, why? How does the Format feel compared to the Paradigm?
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-10-2011, 8:17 PM Reply   
LF Watson 139 Hybrid.. Perfect all around board.. I mostly ride cable and ride it finless and still hooks up good for air tricks.. Presses fairly easy once you figure how to get in that sweet spot.. I have ridden it on boat once.. with fins... Poppy and with the fins makes it a rocket ship... Im 6ft and about 160 lbs.
Old     (rmotoxxx711)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-10-2011, 8:40 PM Reply   
Hey HebrewHammer and everyone else-

I was riding my Hyperilte process on cable cuz I do air tricks and am able to press a stiff board but I'm now riding the 2012 Hyperlite Union which is hype's new hybrid board and it seriously is one of the sickest rides and def best of both worlds. You can snap it to hit air trick and it holds shape real well for edging hard and I can still press it hard for steezin out smiths and crooked nose presses.

Oh and the new Union has a slider trac system so the stance possibilities are endless. I'm 5'9" 165lbs and ride the 142cm stance all the way out which maybe too wide for most but I like a super wide stance. I also ride it on the wake 50% of the time and if you have any snowboard background and know how to work a delayed pop feel of flex it will feel as it has a stored energy and will pop really well yet in control.
Hope this helps guys...
Old     (lalh20)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-11-2011, 6:27 AM Reply   
Thanks for the advice guys! I'll be searching now for a used 139-141 in some of those names you suggested.
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-12-2011, 5:53 AM Reply   
Luke, glad you enjoyed KCW! I'm biased but I would suggest checking out a CTRL Rx. It flexes just a bit at the tip and tail and is mostly a stiff board. You can get those in 139 and a fantastic for rails, air tricks, and kickers. I'm out in FL now, but I'll be back in KC this week. You're welcome to give my board a spin.