Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (whiskeytown)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-02-2009, 5:24 AM Reply   
I don't know if it was the long off-season and my first time back on the board, the rough water i rode in, or the non-waited stock I/O i rode behind this weekend but i felt like i was too close to the boat.

The boat is equipped with a Monster Tower and I was using a 65' straightline combo. Can anyone with I/O riding experience tell me if a longer rope is needed with these setups or if it was other factors i listed playing into my poor riding conditions? I feel like the length should be fine once i get some more butts and weight in the boat to smooth out the weight and get on some glass, but i'm just curious if anyone else has felt they were too close.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-02-2009, 6:15 AM Reply   
We Have a 23 foot Sea Ray I/O. My son rides at 65 feet. He like the wake there. I ride at 70. This weekend we had 2 guy at 235ish, 2 kids at 180 ish and one more adult at 215. The wake was huge, steep and hard, no sacs needed. My profile shows the boat
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-02-2009, 6:45 AM Reply   
we ride at 65 - 70 behind my boat all the time, no weight...I have yet to have anybody say the wake sucks or that they can't get a trick because of the boat. It was a long winter, sounds like you need to get your sea legs back...
Old     (whiskeytown)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-02-2009, 7:43 AM Reply   
"sounds like you need to get your sea legs back..."

I think you are exactly right hahahaha
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-02-2009, 8:13 AM Reply   
ya, my dad is right. i used to ride at 75, the wake was so wide it was rediculous. it was semi flat and not very steep. We went out to the lake with mitch, and he said we should take some line off. I/O's usually have a wider wake. so we took 5 feet off and it was better. and i rode at 65 one day and the wake is great there. i get way more pop there then anywhere else
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-02-2009, 8:16 AM Reply   
if you look at me profile pic, you can see about the width of the wake at 65 feet
Old     (eyekahn)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-02-2009, 8:28 AM Reply   
The IO I mess around behind sometimes at 70' at 25mph is just about the same width as an xstar at 80' 26mph or a VLX at 85' at 26mph
Old     (bzager)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-02-2009, 10:33 AM Reply   
i ride at 65' behind my I/O. it sucks you still have to cut super hard just to get a good wake to wake, dont even think about going into the flats cuz its not gonna happen!
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-02-2009, 11:51 AM Reply   
First dial in the speed you want to ride at with the weight set up so you get a clean wake. If the wake is a mush pile everywhere you will need to trim boat up more, put more weight up front, go faster. Once you figure out the weight and speed you want to ride at, here are the two factors for determining length.

1. Is the wake clean where you are riding? If it is rolling over and foamy at top, shorten rope until you get a clean wake. It will get steeper the further you go back and you can lengthen rope until you are riding just in front of where it rolls over.

2. Are you clearing the wake heelside AND toeside? If not shorten until you consistently clear the wake. If you are consistently landing in the flats with a routine cut, consider lengthening rope.

Each boat is different and is affected by weight speed and rider ability / preferences so comparing lengths with everyone elses set up is not really going to help unless you find someone with the same hull / speed / weight.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-02-2009, 2:39 PM Reply   
"i ride at 65' behind my I/O. it sucks you still have to cut super hard just to get a good wake to wake, dont even think about going into the flats cuz its not gonna happen!"

i ride at 65 feet behing ours, and i get pretty good pop, and with a just a little bit harder of a cut i can land 6 to 7 feet into the flats no problem.
Old     (bzager)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-02-2009, 4:44 PM Reply   
^ what kind of boat do u have and do u have ballast? my boat is really difficult to weight but im definatly gonna try weighting it again this season.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-02-2009, 5:35 PM Reply   
i ride behind an 05 sea ray220 select. and no ballast, thats with 2 people in the boat and 1 in the water. it throws a great wake considering its an I/O. If you look at my profile picure you can sort of see the wake. whats weird though, is when cutting to jump heelside, the wake is supper clean on that side, and the other wake has some white wash on top. with 4 people in the boat, the wake is INCREDIBLE . my dad was the second post on this thred. you can see the boat in his profile pic if you want
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-02-2009, 5:38 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
you can see both sides of the wakes in those pictures
Old     (bzager)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-02-2009, 6:40 PM Reply   
looks good man, i wonder if i can get mine that good with decent weight
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-02-2009, 6:47 PM Reply   
boat speed, prop and a trim adjustment can make a big wake difference (as can a couple of fat friends for ballast). then you can adjust the rope length from there. oh yeah, technique, technique! good luck.
Old     (tchs22)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-02-2009, 7:32 PM Reply   
I ride about 70' but i have a 540 up front with 2 250s in rear. can pull off pretty much anything. but like ron said prop, trim and speed are all factors ppl look over...trim helped us most
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-02-2009, 7:55 PM Reply   
that wake was with 4 people in the boat. our trim goes from 1 -25 but 11-25 is in trailer mode, you cant ride with it. we ride with it at 4. thats where our wake is the tallest and cleanest, and adding weight, makes it great. i ride at around 22 depending on what i want that day. normally thats where im at though, and i ride at 65 feet
Old     (whiskeytown)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-03-2009, 6:59 AM Reply   
what's your normal trim setting when pulling?
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-03-2009, 8:10 AM Reply   
I ride 80' with trim at about a quarter or a little more...We usually have 2 or 3 ppl in the boat and loaded down with about 1600lbs. Clean Wake, tall, easy to go wake to wake and into the flats...I ride at 23.7. Turns out a decent wake for an I/O.
Old     (whiskeytown)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-03-2009, 8:18 AM Reply   
you mean a quarter as in a quarter from its lowest position is that right?
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-03-2009, 9:03 AM Reply   
Yes, a quarter up from the lowest position...sorry,