Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Shavo9)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-30-2013, 3:05 PM Reply   
Okay so I have just sold my 2008 mc x2, I absolutely loved the boat, it was everything I wanted at the time, looking to upgrade to either brand new or low hours again, just looking for some advice for a new boat, things I liked about the x2, size, how it handled rough water, wake was really mellow (good for the wife and others learning) the things I didn't like is I want a bigger wake but who doesn't?

Things I'm looking for in a boat
1. BIG yet versatile wake so can be mellow or steep
2. Must handle rough water okay
3. Surf decent
4. Ski wakes are no issue, nobody skis
5. Price range I am pretty open about but was originally thinking around 100k

Suggestions would be great! I've looked at mc x25, I liked the wake but worried it isn't versatile enough for the wife and kids, was very steep, haven't looked at anything else yet
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-30-2013, 8:59 PM Reply   
I read through your posts over on teamtalk. I would agree with the wake being intimidating and speed sensitive on the 25. I refrained from commenting over there as people have been going nutso over there on any recommendations other than an MC. If you ask me Mc still offers some of the sexiest, most blinged out boats on the water boosted with a very high quality construction. However they are playing catch up at the moment performance wise being last in the surf arena and Some other key performance areas.

Not in any specific order but here are a fee I would consider since size n rough water ride are also huge points.

Tige Z3
Tige RZ4/RZ2
Centurion Enzo SV 220/230
Supreme 220/230
Sanger V230.

They may be a step down in overall fit/finish and luxury but a are still great quality built boats. Tgeir wakeboard wakes have some versatility, their rough water ride is above average for a standard wake boat, they surf good, and are roomy.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       08-31-2013, 1:40 PM Reply   
If you're looking for versatile wakes i would check out just about any Malibu and the Supra SA or SC. All will have potential for huge wakes but remain clean and mellow at low speeds for beginners. IMO you wouldn't be sacrificing anything in the fit and finish department either.
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-01-2013, 7:48 AM Reply   
If you are 70/30 wakeboard to surf ratio, a Malibu 23 lsv is something you should consider. I went through the same analysis this spring looking for the same attributes the only difference is we are 70 percent surf, and 30 percent wakeboard. for us the 230 enzo fit the bill.

The wakeboard wake is very adjustable, as long as you have the full plug and play and the quick fill system, we pull everything from 9 year old beginners to 19 year olds that do inverts and 46 year olds who just run scared.

The only issue with the wakeboard wake is that it is really wide so you have to go at it very strong. Your wife may not enjoy running a short rope and/or hitting the knuckle all day. She would have to be prepared to run at speeds above 21 mph.

The deciding factor for us (surf over wakeboard) was that the LSV needed some exposed bags to produce the surf wave we were looking for.

If we wakeboarded more that we surfed, the flexibility of the wedge on a Malibu just can't be beat.

R
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-01-2013, 9:23 AM Reply   
Looking at upgrading my 08 X2 as well. My biggest complaint was the limited ballast MC put in it. 08 was the last year they put in 650-700lbs and then the 09 models got bumped up to 900 lbs....Feel cheated in a way...
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-01-2013, 12:24 PM Reply   
The only reason the LSV didn't make my list is because the op said he was in one and didn't care for the rough water ride in a different thread. Otherwise i agree with everyone here so far............as far as big boats with versatile wakes from newbs to pros the LSV is king.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-01-2013, 6:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttime41 View Post
If you're looking for versatile wakes i would check out just about any Malibu and the Supra SA or SC. All will have potential for huge wakes but remain clean and mellow at low speeds for beginners. IMO you wouldn't be sacrificing anything in the fit and finish department either.
Problem with Bu is your rough water ride will suffer and you won't get the big meaty wake like on the X25, though the wake still be excellent and more versatile than the X25.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-01-2013, 7:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
I read through your posts over on teamtalk. I would agree with the wake being intimidating and speed sensitive on the 25. I refrained from commenting over there as people have been going nutso over there on any recommendations other than an MC. If you ask me Mc still offers some of the sexiest, most blinged out boats on the water boosted with a very high quality construction. However they are playing catch up at the moment performance wise being last in the surf arena and Some other key performance areas.

Not in any specific order but here are a fee I would consider since size n rough water ride are also huge points.

Tige Z3
Tige RZ4/RZ2
Centurion Enzo SV 220/230
Supreme 220/230
Sanger V230.

They may be a step down in overall fit/finish and luxury but a are still great quality built boats. Tgeir wakeboard wakes have some versatility, their rough water ride is above average for a standard wake boat, they surf good, and are roomy.
Worst write up ever!

I'd say MC is far from playing catch up in surf department. X10, X25, X30, and presumably X46 all world-class capable. Much better overall surf wake pedigree than Bu or CC. But then again, Bu and CC have surf systems, and if MC doesn't get one soon they are gooonnnnzzzo! Plus all the boats you listed are budget boats, Op is coming from a X2 and has a 100K budget. Op should shop G23 if he wants to bust his budget or 2014 230. Maybe 23 LSV if he doesn't care to sacrifice on the deep V and fit and finish. Op is also concerned with wakeboard wake, at which Tige and Centurion suck...

My advice to the Op, shop a 2014 230 otherwise stick to the X25.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-01-2013, 7:34 PM Reply   
If you happy with MC, I'd recommend a look at the X30. It's a very versatile boat with the most storage of any MC made and great seating. The wakes and waves can be as big as you want and it drives like a much smaller boat. For wakeboarding it really likes weight, and with stock plus a PNP bag, the surf wave is excellent. Take for for a test ride.
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-01-2013, 7:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetRanger View Post
Worst write up ever!

I'd say MC is far from playing catch up in surf department. X10, X25, X30, and presumably X46 all world-class capable. Much better overall surf wake pedigree than Bu or CC. But then again, Bu and CC have surf systems, and if MC doesn't get one soon they are gooonnnnzzzo! Plus all the boats you listed are budget boats, Op is coming from a X2 and has a 100K budget. Op should shop G23 if he wants to bust his budget or 2014 230. Maybe 23 LSV if he doesn't care to sacrifice on the deep V and fit and finish. Op is also concerned with wakeboard wake, at which Tige and Centurion suck...

He is not asking about a surf wake,

Ant any rate, we surfed an x10 for two days with around 2400 of ballast, its good, not as straight faced as the X2, but sorry it's not world class
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-01-2013, 8:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetRanger View Post
Worst write up ever!

As mentioned they are a step down. Anyone buying a boat based on the name and not the qualities they are looking for is a sucker. Test drive everything. Just cuz a boat says MC down the side doesn't mean it's the best boat for everyone. None of thise boats ate budget boats either. All of the boats I listed will blow any MC away in the rough water ride category. The x25 wake is not low speed or beginner friendly which is something the op already knows and is concerned about. Did you read any of his requirements before spouting off?

I won't even get into the fact you think Centurion or Tige wakeboard wakes suck. Some models in each won't throw a pro caliber wake but they do other things better. Same goes for your precious MC line. Not every boat throws a wake to dream about. There us give and take in every model choice. You obviously have no clue on the performance characteristics of different mfg's. Just the usual banter of the name on the side meaning everything. Just because one has 100k budget doesn't mean they have to spend every cent of that 100k to get something to fit their needs perfectly. Take anone of those boats through a rough day or several double ups against any MC in the quiver and every one of the boats mentioned will easily beat them except maybe an X35 or X55 . Now lets talk about the superior pro level wakeboard wakes each of those produce. Automatically dissing other boats or not encouraging a test drive because of the status on the name is just plain dumb

Last edited by xstarrider; 09-01-2013 at 8:19 PM.
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-02-2013, 6:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
As mentioned they are a step down. Anyone buying a boat based on the name and not the qualities they are looking for is a sucker. Test drive everything. Just cuz a boat says MC down the side doesn't mean it's the best boat for everyone. None of thise boats ate budget boats either. All of the boats I listed will blow any MC away in the rough water ride category. The x25 wake is not low speed or beginner friendly which is something the op already knows and is concerned about. Did you read any of his requirements before spouting off?

I won't even get into the fact you think Centurion or Tige wakeboard wakes suck. Some models in each won't throw a pro caliber wake but they do other things better. Same goes for your precious MC line. Not every boat throws a wake to dream about. There us give and take in every model choice. You obviously have no clue on the performance characteristics of different mfg's. Just the usual banter of the name on the side meaning everything. Just because one has 100k budget doesn't mean they have to spend every cent of that 100k to get something to fit their needs perfectly. Take anone of those boats through a rough day or several double ups against any MC in the quiver and every one of the boats mentioned will easily beat them except maybe an X35 or X55 . Now lets talk about the superior pro level wakeboard wakes each of those produce. Automatically dissing other boats or not encouraging a test drive because of the status on the name is just plain dumb
I went over and read the TeamTalk forum. The owner is also shopping Nautique. With a 100K budget I simply can't see the Op testing a CC then a MC and settling for anything else.
Certainly not a Sanger, Enzo, RZ series, or Supreme.

The wake on the 25 is anything but speed sensitive though it will be hard to mellow out for a beginner if in fact it can be done.

Now to the facts, X25 has a very deep vee, deeper than any of the boats you listed. It's based on an ocean hull. You are just showing your complete lack of knowledge on the subject. You go on to say each of the boats you listed has a "superior pro level wake." Please go on... Tell us more about the competition level wake on the RZ2?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-02-2013, 10:54 AM Reply   
The x25 no doubt has a pro level wake. It's also the most unique wake in the MC line. It's steep and poppy comparatively speaking to other boats. It's hull also offers the deepest v as you mention. The op is not wanting a Pro caliber wake only. No where in his description is he asking for that. If he was he would be looking at an XStar, G23, 230 and the LSV. Maybe speed sensitive on the X25 wasn't exactly the right term. You slow that boat down to the beginner range of 18-21 mph and that wake will still be thigh high empty. It was based off the CSX 220 hull which for sure handles the rough water. No question about it. No one ever said it didn't. The concern is the steep ,non forgiving wake it produces at different rider abilities.
He is coming off an X2, which he he likes. All of the boats I mentioned put out a wake just as good if not better than the x2. So worth a look. He can decide whether they are too much of a step down for him. Maybe the performance and features will outweigh all the bling and luxury. That's for him to decide. He's done some some work on the big brands already. Time to open the criteria and see what other mfg's have to offer with what he is looking for. Your pro level wake comments are just not the main concern. If it was the choices are much simple.

Last edited by xstarrider; 09-02-2013 at 11:01 AM.