Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       08-27-2013, 7:10 AM Reply   
I have been patiently waiting for these not so little surf speakers to make there way into my hands. I had the SXT6.5Q and they were great little speakers. The new SXT9Q has exceeded my expectations leaps and bounds. While the tweeter is the same the mid bass driver is considerably bigger. The result a much more full, well rounded, warm, and crisp sounding tower set up. A couple other nice perks are the new carrying bag that is fleece lined, the tower clamps have been redesigned and are all stainless and a little more low profile. Here are a couple photos mounted. For anyone looking to get away from the pain of HLCD speakers I would put these on your list to hear.

PUPPY APPROVED!

Last edited by liljohn; 08-27-2013 at 7:11 AM. Reason: who cares
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-27-2013, 8:40 AM Reply   
Heard great things about these. Congrats!!!
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-27-2013, 10:33 AM Reply   
What do mean by the pain of HLCD speakers?
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       08-27-2013, 12:35 PM Reply   
If you have ever spent any kind of time in a boat equipped with HLCD speakers at volume you would understand. They are in your face loud. People in the boat are punished so one person at the end of the rope can hear it.( along with every one on the lake).They serve there purpose and they do it well. For me personally it just doesn't work.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-27-2013, 6:57 PM Reply   
cooper - the way I'd explain the "pain" factor is...

HLCD designs have a horn loaded behind a midbass transducer. It fires up and out shooting the high frequencies back to the rider at 50-70-100ft and beyond. It has a narrow focus and in general terms shoots out like laser beams to those distances. It's effective but has a "live" sound attribute to it. For those boats that have lower towers (think Mal Illusion ) those laser beams can be in your face up close. Bottom line: sitting close to an HLCD speaker thats 100+db efficient can be quite an intense experience.

What I call a "Surf" speaker (and by the way thats a completely made up term by me) has a sealed mid-bass woofer and a tweeter that is grill mounted and isolated from the mid bass woofer. This is called coincident alignment which differs from coaxial alignment (tweeter mounted on a post that comes up thru the mid). From an acoustical point of view, the tweeter looses its "live" sound attributes and offers a "warmer" sound (remember the midbass is completely sealed). So the tweeter has a wider dispersion pattern. In the real world this translates to party cove sound quality and surf range accurate vocals.

The SXT9 is a "surf" speaker with all the benefits of large enclosure displacement. They sound fantastic and when 2 pair are run and combined with a good amp to feed them... They will impress!

-Brian / Exile
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-28-2013, 3:35 AM Reply   
Has the insert on te clamp (where the speaker screws into) been replaced with stainless too? Brian's swapping some of mine so keen to hear. Great to hear they sound good
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-28-2013, 6:49 AM Reply   
Nice job looks great. I am seriously considering swapping out my XM9s for the new SXT9s.
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-28-2013, 8:29 AM Reply   
Thanks for the explanation Brian
Old     (rasorjb)      Join Date: Nov 2011       08-28-2013, 8:49 AM Reply   
Brian,

I would like to hear more about the improved tower clamps. I've had a few issues with mine (all of which you guys have taken care of without problem, or I've managed to fix myself). If you guys have fixed a lot of the issues I would like to know what I need to do get some, I'm honestly tired of messing with them!

Josh

PS. Loving the new Javelin!
Old     (robertsjut)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-28-2013, 1:10 PM Reply   
I would be interested to about finding out to get new and improved tower clamps for for my SXT6.5 and XM7's. I'm with josh I'm tired of messing with them.

My next purchase is going to be the javelin for my in boat speakers! Have heard nothing but great things!

Thanks

Justin
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-28-2013, 1:57 PM Reply   
Re all things clamp: The SXT9 is the first model to ship with a new clamp design that is made from 100% stainless steel. We took the liberty to slim it down in certain area's while increasing its rigidity in other area's. Overall we are extremely pleased with the results as it will stand up to saltwater applications well. It also clamps a 3" tower as well.

This new design can be retro'd to any prior Exile speaker as well.

@ robert and josh - I'll touch base with you in pm and see if we can help you out.

Cheers!

-Brian / Exile Audio
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-28-2013, 6:26 PM Reply   
I think these are the ones I have that fit the AXIS Toewer.
Old     (rasorjb)      Join Date: Nov 2011       08-28-2013, 8:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinpdx View Post
Re all things clamp: The SXT9 is the first model to ship with a new clamp design that is made from 100% stainless steel. We took the liberty to slim it down in certain area's while increasing its rigidity in other area's. Overall we are extremely pleased with the results as it will stand up to saltwater applications well. It also clamps a 3" tower as well.

This new design can be retro'd to any prior Exile speaker as well.

@ robert and josh - I'll touch base with you in pm and see if we can help you out.

Cheers!

-Brian / Exile Audio
Standing By!
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-29-2013, 2:14 AM Reply   
Hi Brian,

In the insert into the actual speaker still aluminium or has that been changed to stainless as well?

New clamps look really good. I bet the new speakers crank. My 1 set of xm9's are horribly loud, so I really don't know why some guys need two or three pairs :-).

Cheers
Byron
NZ
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-29-2013, 9:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinpdx View Post
cooper - the way I'd explain the "pain" factor is...

HLCD designs have a horn loaded behind a midbass transducer. It fires up and out shooting the high frequencies back to the rider at 50-70-100ft and beyond. It has a narrow focus and in general terms shoots out like laser beams to those distances. It's effective but has a "live" sound attribute to it. For those boats that have lower towers (think Mal Illusion ) those laser beams can be in your face up close. Bottom line: sitting close to an HLCD speaker thats 100+db efficient can be quite an intense experience.

-Brian / Exile
To clarify a few things, just elaborate really....

MOST HLCD designs have a compression driver attached to the back of a midrange driver. They connect to the horn flare out in front of the midrange driver through a straight length of tube that travels through the middle of the midrange driver. Just like any straight tube, (think trumpet, trombone etc) the straight section of the horn combined with its length emphasize particular notes and frequencies. When you see a trombone player push his slide out, the pitch goes down. This is a good example showing how length of straight tube affects the resonant frequencies of these types of horns. With a coaxially mounted horn typical of most, you really have a very short trumpet or bugle-type horn. Remove the compression driver off the back of the mid and you can literally play it like a bugle. Try it; you will find the horn wants to play specific notes.....

The "live" sound of these horns as Brian describes it can actually be attributed in large part to the resonance peaks that are caused by the straight pipe section of the horn. You get resonant peaks at basically the same frequencies that you can create if you blow on it like a bugle or trumpet. These horn peaks usually sound nasty when you try to play music through them. It is the effect of coax-mounted horn geometry, specifically the staright section of pipe, that makes horns painful up close...

There are many examples of high-end horn-loaded audio systems that use horns. What the high-end stuff has in common is that none have that straight section of pipe. If you go to Crutchfield and search home speakers from highest price down, you will find some very nice Klipsch speakers for home listening that are 100% horn-loaded. Go search for high-end horn-loaded speakers on the interwebs and you will find some very exotic stuff. Some looks like it was pulled from the sea. Very round, very smooth, constantly changing area at any length along the horn.

You can find HLCD tower systems that do not have the "live" sound. All you gotta do is look for the one that has the horn geometry that does not have that straight section of tube that is required for the coaxial designs.

I figured a little elaboration might prove helpful. HLCD speakers can sound good up close, even when you have them cranked up loud, when you design them from the beginning to be free of harmonic resonances that create the "live" sound.

FYI-

Phil
Kicker

Last edited by philwsailz; 08-29-2013 at 9:43 AM.