Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (t1ryder4life)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-26-2013, 7:01 AM Reply   
I'm going to be looking at this Mobius V and was wondering what you guys thought of it? This is my first boat purchase so i'm a little unsure of whats good/whats not and what to look for. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/boa/4004821933.html
Old     (kronoss)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-26-2013, 7:20 AM Reply   
I loved my 2001 Mobius LS (direct drive)
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-26-2013, 2:36 PM Reply   
They have come a long way since then. Should be a pretty basic boat and pretty easy to check over. They are a good sized boat. One of the biggest in that era.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-27-2013, 12:03 AM Reply   
I had that exact boat but in yellow. I loved it, and still miss it sometimes. It has an awesome surf and board wake. Like already stated, it's a pretty simple boat. I'd check the oil, and smell the tranny/vdrive oils. It says there's a corvette engine, was that a replacement for a blown engine? Who did the work? Was it a used engine that they put in? it looks like a clean install I wouldn't worry. It's pretty easy to do.

Good luck!
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-27-2013, 12:04 AM Reply   
I had that exact boat but in yellow. I loved it, and still miss it sometimes. It has an awesome surf and board wake. Like already stated, it's a pretty simple boat. I'd check the oil, and smell the tranny/vdrive oils. It says there's a corvette engine, was that a replacement for a blown engine? Who did the work? Was it a used engine that they put in? it looks like a clean install I wouldn't worry. It's pretty easy to do.

Good luck!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-28-2013, 5:57 PM Reply   
I had a 2000 Mobius V. It was a great boat. If I was looking for an older budget vdrive I would buy another in a heart beat. Throw in the gravity games 1100 in the front and dual 500-700's in the rear and you are set. The boat is very simple but I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-28-2013, 6:00 PM Reply   
Here is a couple pics of mine which was Cliff's a couple people before me.

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-28-2013, 6:11 PM Reply   
The price seems a little on the high side for a 13 year old boat with 760 hours.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-28-2013, 6:25 PM Reply   
Personally I think the price is solid. Not a steal but not overpriced either. Find me another 22' vdrive for under 20 grand. Personally I would rather have a 2001 Mobius V than a 2001 SAN or Xstar for the 5 grand less.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-28-2013, 9:10 PM Reply   
This is a 2001. Quality on numerous fronts was not what it is now... I wouldn't pay 19... He also says a few different things about the engine... 5.3 is not a 350 etc...
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-29-2013, 9:23 AM Reply   
Delta,
Other than cheaper vinyl and foam, where else do you think quality was lacking? Please don't take this as a personal attack, I just ask because I see this repeated all the time. I have had my 2000 Mobius LS since 2005. The previous owner didn't take care of the interior so after owning it a couple of years I had the interior redone. Besides that, I replaced the water pump this season. That's it. It has almost 850 hours on the meter I have put around 700 hours on it and it hasn't given me the first regret. It doesn't have a billet aluminum throttle knob, instruments on a computer screen or other "luxury bling" items like the big three boats, but I get compliments on it almost every time I go out. Seriously! Last weekend I got a compliment on it as I was putting it in the water and yet again later in the day when a guy stopped me at the marina asking me about it. And the compliments are often from people that have very nice boats themselves. People can't believe it is 14 years old. These are fine boats. A Cadillac is not built as well as a BMW or Mercedes, but it is still a nice car.
(steps down from the soap box)

That said, I agree on the 5.3L motor being fishy.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-29-2013, 10:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanolinsky View Post
Delta,
Other than cheaper vinyl and foam, where else do you think quality was lacking? Please don't take this as a personal attack, I just ask because I see this repeated all the time. I have had my 2000 Mobius LS since 2005. The previous owner didn't take care of the interior so after owning it a couple of years I had the interior redone. Besides that, I replaced the water pump this season. That's it. It has almost 850 hours on the meter I have put around 700 hours on it and it hasn't given me the first regret. It doesn't have a billet aluminum throttle knob, instruments on a computer screen or other "luxury bling" items like the big three boats, but I get compliments on it almost every time I go out. Seriously! Last weekend I got a compliment on it as I was putting it in the water and yet again later in the day when a guy stopped me at the marina asking me about it. And the compliments are often from people that have very nice boats themselves. People can't believe it is 14 years old. These are fine boats. A Cadillac is not built as well as a BMW or Mercedes, but it is still a nice car.
(steps down from the soap box)

That said, I agree on the 5.3L motor being fishy.
Gelcoat and mold tooling. Fit and finish. Vinyl graphics. Interior vinyl, seat foam and carpet. Never said anything about INDMAR, or any engine mfr for that matter. I was just commenting that this is a 2001 Moomba and they were not as solid 15 years ago as they are now. They were cheaper price point boats, it is what it is. Not trying to bash your brand but in my opinion they aren't within 3-5k of a same year Nautique

Disclaimer: strictly my opinion. I have been on a family Tige of similar era. I recognize these as being in the same/similar boat quality wise. They had what I perceive to be better vinyl and foam but still crap stitching. A lower tier boat doesn't age as well...

Last edited by wakebordr11; 08-29-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-29-2013, 1:11 PM Reply   
No problem Delta, you didn't hurt my feelings at all nor would anybody elses comments. I just hate the thought of someone not getting one of these boats because of these type comments. If I had read similar comments before I purchased my boat and didn't have a pretty good idea of what I was in the market for, it might have kept me from purchasing the one I own. I know what I paid for mine and I know what some of these other boats cost. I smile every time I think about it! Everyone should get the boat that works for them!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-29-2013, 7:11 PM Reply   
I agree whole heartedly. I would buy a moomba, both new or old, but its in my nature to deal and resale means a lot.

I'm glad you like your boat. I enjoy all boats.