Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (CobraRob)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-14-2013, 8:15 AM Reply   
I have an X-45 and added an extra set of JLs in the back of the boat under the rear seats. I never understood why they only put one pair upfront and one pair in the back the boat is too big for that.

So, I think I blew one of the speakers, I still need to verify it's not an amp channel since it's all crackly and distorted.

If it's the speaker I was thinking about putting in the 808s to see if I could get more mid base in the cabin area. These are all running off of a 4 channel amp. The bow set and the mid set on one pair (all the JLs on channel 1/2) and the rear set that I would be changing on 3/4 so I could set gains for each.

Good idea / bad idea?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-14-2013, 10:33 AM Reply   
Best case scenario, with the factory amplifier with a 12.5 volt supply, each in-boat JL Audio 7.7-inch is getting 75 watts each. If you are running two in parallel per channel, that's 50 watts to each speaker with a 12.5 volt supply. And that is seriously under-powered. Presently you are listening to the limitation of the amplifier rather than the speaker. The in-boat JL Audio M770s will sound radically different with an honest 150 watts each.

David
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-14-2013, 10:55 AM Reply   
If you give those 7.7's 150 watts, I think you are going to get the mid-bass you are looking for! My buddy had 8 of them in the cabin of his Epic and it actually bumps pretty good with the W7 turned off. They are impressive speakers with 150 watts. He was running his with Alpine PDX 4.150's.
Old     (CobraRob)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-14-2013, 12:02 PM Reply   
Sorry Dave, I never said what Amp I am running, I have a RF Power T600-4 powering all of the inboat speakers.

Just for FYI there is a RF T1500-1 for the 3 Kicker L5 subs.
Towers are 2 Rev410s with a JL HD750/1 each

I was just wondering if I should replace the blown JL 7.7 with the same speakers again or put the WS in. So either 6 JL or 4 JL and 2 WS.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-14-2013, 12:18 PM Reply   
Go with the JL 8.8" speakers instead!
http://www.jlaudio.com/marine-audio-...8-inch-systems
Old     (CobraRob)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-15-2013, 11:16 AM Reply   
Suppose the JLs are an option too.... I might go by wetsounds next week and take a look first though.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-15-2013, 1:15 PM Reply   
[QUOTE=CobraRob;1838959]Sorry Dave, I never said what Amp I am running, I have a RF Power T600-4 powering all of the inboat speakers.

Never the less, the 12.5 volt power will be similar with the Rockford (about 25% less than the 14.4 volt power) and that is light. 150 watts per each speaker with a strictly regulated amplifier or 200 watts per each speaker with an unregulated amplifier (being comparable), per the 14.4 volt rating, is the sweet spot.

David
Old     (CobraRob)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-17-2013, 6:36 PM Reply   
[QUOTE=david_e_m;1839204]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraRob View Post
Sorry Dave, I never said what Amp I am running, I have a RF Power T600-4 powering all of the inboat speakers.

Never the less, the 12.5 volt power will be similar with the Rockford (about 25% less than the 14.4 volt power) and that is light. 150 watts per each speaker with a strictly regulated amplifier or 200 watts per each speaker with an unregulated amplifier (being comparable), per the 14.4 volt rating, is the sweet spot.

David
I hate to redo the amp rack to switch to another amp BUT... What would you suggest if I wanted to change up the amp over winter? JL HD600/4?

I still need to grab boat and test speaker.. Probably tomorrow I think I need new speakers no matter what so I didn't know if I wanted to replace with same or upgrade...