Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-17-2009, 2:49 PM Reply   
Summer is here we are all tying up and I wanted to talk about my anchor tricks and experiences and anchor ediquete if there is sutch thing and hear about yours.

IMO this is a very over looked skill most people don't have or care about. If you know what you’re doing you can get your boat anchored and set in just a few min's and enjoy the rest of your day. I wish more people knew how to properly anchor. Here are my tips

IMO it's best to use 2 Anchors one off the front and one off the rear. That way your boat is not swinging around and getting in the way of others and if you’re playing music you boat's sound can be pointed away from people you’re not trying to play over and annoy. I try to anchor where I’m either transom to transom with other boats in our tie up. That way I can walk swim deck to swim deck not across my boat to across your boat. And again I’m either pointing or playing music into your boat or vice versa. Or I transom into the shore and anchor off the front and the rear. IMO it's good form or ediquete "NOT" to tie to my boat. The way I see it is, boating is about providing for your self and comming together not relying on others. I dont mind helping others out but get your stuff together. One pet peeve is this situation. I have my boat all anchored up Im all set. I’m kicking back all set with a drink in hand and listing to some music. My homies roll up and "Now I’m become their anchor" Im now forced to get back to my boat and "Make Sure" they tie their boat to my boat correctly. And secondly when more boats tie up my proor little Mushroom anchors made to hold just 1 boat now start slipping because they are now holding like 3 or 4. Yea I know I could get bigger stronger box style anchors ect but IMO this is B.S you should pull up and anchor yourself without me or my help. Throw your own anchor you lazy a$$ LOL it's not that big of a deal. That way our boat's are not touching and you don't need to be in my boat for anything and when some dumb a$$ decides to wake surf buy in the 5mph zone we don't have to run to our boats so they don't crash into each other from the wake. You let the boat's move around by them self’s your wake board's that you have in your racks and are not using are not smashing into my tower, your not having to yell at the Family in the Bayliner that just threw wake on you "slow down you bastards" ect, And then when I want to leave you don’t have all to of a sudden anchor or find another boat to tie to, You just carry on. Yes all this is possible and you’re having a better more relaxed day because you anchored yourself correctly LOL. If you don't have One or any of these items on your boat you are a straight dumb a$$ and need to check yourself. Here is a list so you can come correct. (Your welcome)

#1 Cleats on all 4 corners of your boat. (The older ski boat croud is the worst offender of this)
#2 A minimum of 2 bumpers. (Ones large enough to work)
#3 At least 1 Anchor with 100 foot of line (your the man if you have a second anchor and use it) but a second 100 foot rope will work.

Thats it your now self suficiant

Extra Bonus points for people smart enough to leave your Wakeboards at home on a 3 day weekend and are going out to tie up at your local "Party Cove" but if you wanna show everyone how core you are because you have 20 boards on your rack “ROCK IT” just stay over there. LOL

Hey in a tie up situation all bets are off expecting people to know how to treat your boat is a tall order. When you are rocking it Stuff happens. IMO it's best to have your boat by itself (in a stand alone situation) that way it see's the least amount of damage and let's face it you can have a better time when you are sure your boat is not getting hammered
If you take the time to learn a new skill (anchoring) you can park your boat in some pretty cool places and have some fun tie up’s
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-17-2009, 3:23 PM Reply   
G, you are just so delightfully ghetto!

Good call though, everything you say is spot on.
Old     (tsbs)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-17-2009, 3:25 PM Reply   
Either that, or you could use your wakeboard boat to wakeboard. Just a thought???

Nice tutorial though. The Ski Beachers will dig.
Old     (gundogg)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-17-2009, 3:28 PM Reply   
Grant
Sounds like you had a nice weekend at the lake. ;-) I do agree with you and it is a skill that most lack.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-17-2009, 4:22 PM Reply   
Wow, all things I've thought, but never said to anyone. Thanks for saying it!

Get some BIG bumpers! And if bumpers are too expensive, get some Hoppity Hops. I have two of each. I store the bumpers inflated & ready to use at a moments notice & the Hoppity Hops flat (and carry a pump) so they store in a small space & are easily usable in just a few minutes.

I also have all my foil & board racks setup so they can be removed or swung inward so their not knocking on the next guy's boat. It would be nice if others did this too.

Besides carrying an anchor & anchor line, I also carry several dock ties, a SandSpike, an Anchor Buddy and some miscellaneous sections of rope. All things that will come in handy in these tieing up/anchoring situations.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on June 17, 2009)
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-17-2009, 4:52 PM Reply   
I just realized i'm the douche with one anchor and 10 ft of rope constantly tying up to people in order to stop moving. Thanks "G", I am heading to walmart as we speak to pick up another mushroom anchor and another 200ft of line.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-17-2009, 4:56 PM Reply   
x2, Bill K on the Hippity Hops. Especially for tying up to other boats, these beat the smaller cylinder bumpers buy a mile - lots of room to absorb rollers coming by etc.
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-17-2009, 5:35 PM Reply   
Good stuff Grant.

I agree with #3. I think people would be better off with more scope...much more than they think.

T
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-17-2009, 7:05 PM Reply   
I love it!!! Ya...get your sheeeeat together people!!! I wish all people who owned boats actually knew what the heck they were doing. Nice rant man! Totally agree.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-17-2009, 8:50 PM Reply   
I learned the hippity hop trick here.... best investment for protecting my boat I ever made...and prob. cheapest too....lol!

Pontoons (I call them gelcoat bashers) should only try to tie up w/ other pontoons!
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-18-2009, 5:19 AM Reply   
I started reading this thread expecting to see how to properly set an anchor, but then I saw mushroom anchors.... If you guys used a hooker anchor, you wouldn't need 2 off the bow.

I carry a 26# hooker in the nose of my boat. When rafting, I'm mostly transomed up to a beach, with other boats on the beach. I get lined up to the boat I want to be backed up to, pull forward about 40', first mate drops the anchor off the bow, then I back up to the boat on the beach while pulling the anchor tight until it's dug into the sand. The anchor ends up about 30' off my bow, so that way if waves come in or it's windy, it won't pull out or slip. That's tied to the bow loop, then I pull a rope to the transom of the beached boat, tying our transoms together. There's about 10' of space between transoms, then a few other boats tie to my sides. Unlike Grant, the boats that tie to me are seasoned boaters, so they all know to throw they're own anchor out before even thinking of tying up to me. I don't have to worry about them coming in too hot and pulling my anchor out because if they do, they'll have to pull mine, swim it back out, and set it up again.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-18-2009, 7:06 AM Reply   
there is nothing wrong with a mushroom or river anchor. you don't need to spend the money on the box anchor unless you are looking for ways to waste money, or you have friends that don't know how to anchor like G's saying....

I run 2 20lb river anchors. both off the bow. drop the anchors, then hit reverse for a second to set the anchors (setting the anchor using reverse is key).

i doubt most wakeboat people go in the ocean, but if you do, always anchor off the bow, never off the transom. Anchoring incorrectly is how some NFL players died back in Feb in Tampa.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-18-2009, 7:42 AM Reply   
IMO anchors are very personal what ever keeps you stuck and is quick and easy is the best anchor for you. Depending on your lakes bottom it's hard to have a anchor that is best for all conditions. Mushrooms are in no way the best anchors. The expreiance I have had with Box anchors I have to say I think they are super easy to set and pretty much don't move at all if I had to have only one anchor I think that's what I would go with. I don't use them on my boat because of how you have to open them up. (Its best if you have a clear space on the floor to open them up) I can see my interior getting dammaged from one of the fingers on the box. I use the Box anchors on the 28 foot Family pontoon boat.
I use Mushrooms because they are easy to store away and have smooth edges so they won't dammage your interior if they happen to get bumped up against somthing ect. It's what you call a Lunch anchor. Somthing you throw when you don't plan on being there for very long. I have also used Navy anchors and Fork anchors. If Im anchored overnight I use a Aluminum Fortress Anchor.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-18-2009, 7:48 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/329231.html
Old     (whiskeytown)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-18-2009, 7:52 AM Reply   
I agree, the mushroom anchor is a fine choice...especially for people in natural lakes with a lot of sunken logs, trees, other natural snags. Drop the anchor from the bow, reverse for a few seconds, profit. A long afternoon of relaxing with some tunes playing.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-18-2009, 8:13 AM Reply   
I've always kept two anchors on board, a mushroom style "lunch" anchor, quick and easy for when you're chilling or swimming, and "Danforth" type with plenty of chain and line for leaving anchored overnight. Although I haven't used either in years, because now we moor at our dock, a little extra ballast on board never hurts, plus if an emergency on the river should happen it's always good to be prepared.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-18-2009, 9:01 AM Reply   
For the folks that are looking for an anchor that holds in a current but doesn't take much space, check out the Kwik Tek Folding Anchor. They collapse super small and hold real well. Set it properly and you are good for days. We keep one of those and a mushroom on board.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-18-2009, 9:54 AM Reply   
I love seeing people pull up in our rock quarry and drop a 3lb. mushroom anchor with 20' of rope in the 110' deep water, then get mad when they get close to someone.
Old     (wackbag)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-18-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
I don't think mushroom anchors work very well. I personally like the Navy fluke style. Its heavy probably 15lbs, and that will stretch out that anchor buddy and hit bottom. A 3lb mushroom anchor wont stretch the bungee hardly at all.
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       06-18-2009, 4:52 PM Reply   
Thx for saying what anyone who gives a crap about their boat is thinking. LOL. Personally i keep a 20 lb shroom under the front spotter seat (point of the bow) and another 20 lb shroom with a line stored in my v-drive compartment that i tie to one of the transom hooks, takes all of 2 mins to properly anchor front and back. And 40 lbs is way more than enough weight to my 22 footer from budging.

As far as tying to other boats, how many times have you been in a crowded cove and some ass on a jetski or 80's music-blaring-scarab TEARS OUT OF THERE, right from the middle of the crowd, AT TOP SPEED? Oh that's right, EVERY time I'll pimp my party barge for the afternoon if i want to sit in a party cove tied to the party.