Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-30-2008, 10:42 PM Reply   
what is that weird comb looking thing that comes in the pocket of my billabong board shorts? i have had them for a year and just left it in the pocket thinking i would figure it out. does it have a real use?
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-30-2008, 11:10 PM Reply   
For scraping the wax off of your surfboard.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-30-2008, 11:13 PM Reply   
I have a collection of them from different companies.
Old     (dreamrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-31-2008, 12:30 AM Reply   
My fox boardshorts came with one. they are for your surfboard/skimboard to rough up the wax. The end is generally for scraping the wax off.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-31-2008, 8:01 AM Reply   
If you aren't going to use them for what they are intended for, cut them off. They are a hassle. Always getting tangled up with stuff in your pocket. Or digging into you.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-31-2008, 9:53 AM Reply   
You don't have to cut then off, just unloop them.
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-31-2008, 11:30 AM Reply   
Take them off period. you'll look like a kook with one of those dangling out of your pocket. and don't cut it. The loop is for holding a car key.
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-01-2008, 3:28 PM Reply   
thanks guys. can you allow me one more possibly dumb question?

i know surf boards and snowboards both get waxed from time to time, how come wakeboards do not need waxing? are wakeboards and surfboards made out of that different material?
Old     (weswheels)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-01-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
Snowboards. Waxed on the bottom of the board to create less friction from the board and the snow. Different types of snow conditions call for different types of wax. There is lots of friction between your board and snow. There is a definite difference between a board with an old wax job and a new wax job. So, snowboard equals wax on bottom of the board.

Surfboards. Waxed on the top of the board to create grip between the top surface of the board and the surfers' feet. This allows the surfer to maintain his/her foothold on the board for edging, slashing, cutting and ripping. Again, different types of wax for different types of conditions. The salt water, sun and wear and tear really tear up the wax on surfboards. Re-waxing a surfboard is a common occurrence with frequent use. So, surfboard has wax on top of the board.

Wakeboarding. No wax at all. Not enough friction on bottom of board between water and board. The pull from the boat and the buoyancy of the board keep the friction to a minimum. The fins are in place to keep the traction for cutting in wakeboarding, don't want it to be loose like snowboarding. And on top of the board you're bindings can explain that. Hope that clears it up.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       09-01-2008, 5:11 PM Reply   
Alan, the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask ;)
I reckon 90% of those combs never get used!
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-01-2008, 5:44 PM Reply   
Thanks for the explanation Wes, I know I've never even held a surfboard and always wondered why they waxed them...now I know. Your explanation was needed some years past, as this guy tried to convince others that wakeboards needed waxing just like surfboards, cause 'they both are used on water' :-)
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-02-2008, 3:36 PM Reply   
yes, very good explanation wes, thanks.
Old     (sdwake)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-02-2008, 4:14 PM Reply   
My teacher told me "no such thing as a dumb question just stupid people asking question", I said is that a yes or a no Teacher?
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-02-2008, 4:17 PM Reply   
I think the dumbest thing of all would be to take it off and use it for a key ring. Could double as a weapon.
Old     (on_the_edge)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-03-2008, 2:36 AM Reply   
I believe that companies should stop installing this plastic thing inside all boardshorts because a few people really use them. Should give them for free if anyone asks so.
This is for the companies to save more money.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-03-2008, 3:16 AM Reply   
I do like the ones with the bottle openers incorporated into the comb. Very useful for a day at the beach. and I much prefer to use that than a bottle opener that could of been in dog poo on the bottom of a sandal.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-03-2008, 6:38 AM Reply   
chris what the hell are you talking about it is perfect as a key ring. thats where i put my house key when i go to the pool in my complex. i also put my truck key on it when i go out in the boat that way i can leave my other keys in my truck and dont have to bring them on the boat and worry about them getting lost
Old     (bullydog)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-03-2008, 8:30 AM Reply   
It makes for a great beer bottle opener. Bought a case of corona and forgot that they don't twist off and no bottle opener till I remembered that deal in the pocket. Oneil saved the day.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-03-2008, 8:36 AM Reply   
I use it to comb my mullet
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-03-2008, 2:55 PM Reply   
Gee Jeremy. I wonder what other people do with their keys? Makes you wonder what people did before this life changing invention..
Old     (andy13)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-03-2008, 6:42 PM Reply   
lol

and i reckon 99% of people dont use it
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-03-2008, 7:10 PM Reply   
"Take them off period. you'll look like a kook with one of those dangling out of your pocket."

I disagree: [http://alliancewake.com/video_details_extreme.php?id=3260] I'm using classic logic "all the cool kids do it!" reminds me of the people that put the necklace things on their car keys.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-03-2008, 8:55 PM Reply   
yea chris not everyone puts there keys in there but to say it is the dumbest thing is ridiculous. what people do with it is what they do with it. whether they use the wax comb or not whether they use it as a key ring or not who cares, but it for sure isnt the dumbest thing ever.
Old     (jpg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-03-2008, 10:56 PM Reply   
there freaking useless one more to go into the land fill or in that giant zest pool of garbage in the middle of the ocean
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-03-2008, 11:05 PM Reply   
there are more surfers then wakeboarders
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-04-2008, 9:31 AM Reply   
a lot more....and i use the loop to hold my key.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-04-2008, 10:17 AM Reply   
I believe the correct phrase is: "There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who don't ask questions."
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-04-2008, 10:41 AM Reply   
They probably lost their keys Chris....

Boardshorts are for surfers, surfers go out with board, leash, possibly wax, and unless they own a ford they probably put their key on the loop so it doesn't fall out. Lots of people use it.
Old     (sdwake)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-04-2008, 12:32 PM Reply   
Tuneman: No, I had it right "no such thing as a dumb question just stupid people asking question"
I live in the real world. Trust me on this one! What will happen if I put this fork in the toaster??
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-04-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
I said take it 'off' and use it as a key ring. I take them out of my shorts. I am not going to now use this cheap looking afro comb as a key ring.
Actually doing that is not the dumbest thing. Having this ridiculous discussion is.Alan, no more questions for you
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-04-2008, 1:05 PM Reply   
Doesnt anyone remember chewing sex wax was all the rage? Sex wax = surfboard wax. It came in all sorts of flavors. Maybe I'm just old.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-04-2008, 1:14 PM Reply   
Chris, YOU STILL DON'T GET IT! i have been watching this and your ignorance is frustrating...here is how it works...the comb is usually attached via a small, elastisized loop(and/or clasp). Once you take off the comb, you are left with either a loop to double over through your keyhole or a small clasp to hook key onto. What you do with the comb afterwards, no one cares, but the small loop leftover is and has been a useful tool for anyone venturing into the water with a key.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-04-2008, 1:16 PM Reply   
I remember those days Hahn. I also remember having to turn my sex wax shirt inside out at my middle school.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-04-2008, 1:47 PM Reply   
My mom used to get so mad at me for wearing those shirts.

Alan, doesn't hurt to ask. Before I knew the answer to your question, I waxed the bottom of my boogie board, thinking it would make it go faster, haha, instead I spent all night scraping all of the sand and wax off of the bottom.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-04-2008, 2:06 PM Reply   
Derek. I do get it. I surfed for 20 years. WHO THE HELL CARES!!!! GETTIT???

What do you think happened 10 years ago. You think you had a whole bunch of surfers wandering up and down the beach until it got dark looking for their keys. Some people have like 6 -10 keys on their bunch. You gonna paddle out with that bunch in your pocket?? Gettit???
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-04-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
Why is it that everytime people are aguing, Chris is in the middle of it? I'm just pointing out the obvious from what I read a lot on these postings. Chris seems to use his opinion in a negative manner and call people out directly instead of just stating his opinion as just his opinion. Chris, a little word of advice...STOP WITH YOUR MATTER OF FACT OPINIONS!!! Your daughter is the best female wakeboarder in the world. Just sit back and enjoy that and quit making enemies on Wake World
Old     (02ssv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-04-2008, 2:27 PM Reply   
No. Just take the car key in your pocket and leave your "bunch" in the car.
Old    sealyon.net            09-04-2008, 2:35 PM Reply   
It can be removed by pulling the small key out of the scraper them un-looping it and it can also be used as a bottle opener.that makes it worth keeping
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-04-2008, 2:56 PM Reply   
Thank you Jason. I will run every opinion I have past the people that matter.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-04-2008, 3:08 PM Reply   
All I'm saying Chris is that I see a lot of people take personal offense to a lot of your comments. Maybe you don't mean for them to sound like they do, but it just seems to be typical on these postings. I would think twice about making rude comments to people who very well could have donated to your dogs. A lot of people went out of their way to give money to help save your dogs lives and I'm sure you have pissed off a good handful of them. If I was in that situation, I know I would just watch what I said so I wouldn't offend anyone continuously.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-04-2008, 3:20 PM Reply   
<-- shaking my head.

Chris, change your password. It sounds like somebody hi-jacked it and started posting a bunch of nonsense using your WW account (sarcasm).
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-04-2008, 3:47 PM Reply   
Gawd, I wish my ADD would allow me to follow this tripe easier.
I think one dude asked about the 4-n-1 tool that comes with most trunks today. I am pretty sure, after trying to follow the usual ADD approach to answer someone else's question and before the BS was unleashed, yet again, nobody really answered the topic-par.
Dude who asked. It's called a 4-n-1 tool. It's a waxcomb by heritage, for scraping the top of your surfboard (think traction here) and I use them on my wakesurfer as well (yep, I have one in the arsenal). Then they morph into a scraper as well for CLEANING off old wax in route to a new fresh topcoat of your choice. Next, if you study the tool, it will have a "fin" driver in it, which is used to adjust the skags on your board, this is very handy, and it can be used as a weapon as well to thwart carjackers in the event of. These days all the cool tools have a trusty bottle opener in them as well, for those times when you don't have the chopper skills to pop the top off, or you left your lighter in the rig. Finally, if you ever so cleverly reverse the loop, you can take off the TOOL (unlike Sir Chris who feels the need to remove his via blowtorch) and use the loop to retain the key to your auto. This is especially useful in the event that you blow your pocket out. And if you have spent any amount of time in the aqua, you will have a story about the time your trunks blew hole in themselves, but this time, your trusty FREE loop kept your keys close to home. I think that does about does it, carry on please....
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-04-2008, 5:06 PM Reply   
Derek did call him ignorant. That would have pissed off anyone.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-04-2008, 8:23 PM Reply   
he was being ignorant though hahn. not only ignorant but a smarta$$.

who is gonna take their whole key ring out with them in their shorts come on use some common sense chris.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-04-2008, 9:19 PM Reply   
After re-reading the thread I'd have to say there was some confusion as to using it as a key chain, not just the loop in the pocket good for one key. I don't think I'd be sporting it on my truck keys either to be honest. Nor paddling out into surf with my whole key chain. Just because he didn’t understand doesn't make him ignorant. Getting into pissing matches on WW and making cynical comments just shows poor judgment.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-04-2008, 9:33 PM Reply   
I agree now that i reread it we were all misunderstanding each other and jumping to conclusion too quick but he did jab at us first so i jabbed back. sorry if i hurt anyones feelings