Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            05-28-2006, 6:37 AM Reply   
I had been chatting with the folks at Calibrated about the lack of a Grom sized or Grom specific skimstyle board. It seems they were in the process of addressing that void. The problem for the Groms is that they need the board a bit smaller and also a bit lighter. We got a chance to test the prototype yesterday, with these results. First few runs James had on the board. Boosting that much air on a skimstyle board is NOT easy. Upload
Old    surfdad            05-28-2006, 6:40 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            05-28-2006, 6:54 AM Reply   
One of the aspects of a Grom sized skimstyle board that is important is the weight. Too much weight and it's hard for the groms to swing the board around. Too little and the board tends to shoot out like a ROCKET. :-) In this sequence of a shuv-it, the Calibrated folks seem to have it right. Upload
Old    surfdad            05-28-2006, 6:56 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            05-28-2006, 6:58 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-28-2006, 8:28 AM Reply   
sweet board and sweet pics!

weight the reason i love my phase 5. im about 130lbs soaking wet on a good day. it's nice having a light board that i can put enough weight on to get a good ride. the bigger more bouyant boards are harder for me to ride. i don't weigh enough to keep them down in the water
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-28-2006, 9:37 AM Reply   
So I should be surfing a sheet of plywood?
Old    surfdad            05-28-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
Pressure Treated CDX - 3/4" x 4' x 8' - newest skimstyle :-) Requires a little rounding of the corners though. :-)

I think for most of us the broad ranges that most manufacturers offer is suitable. For folks, like James, with more talent they can substanially step up their performance with a properly sized board.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-28-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
So what does Grom mean?
Old    Johnny Wadd            05-28-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
In surf terms a Grommet or "Grom" means a kid surfer. The term Helgy or "Helg" also refers to a kid surfer. Just thought I'd add that one.
Old    surfdad            05-29-2006, 5:50 AM Reply   
Yeah in virtually all the board sports Grom = Kid, usually also refers to a kid that rips. I'd never heard Helgy or Helg before.
Old    Johnny Wadd            05-31-2006, 1:32 PM Reply   
We used the term "Helgy" over "Grom" in Santa Cruz. At least the guys I hang out with.
Board More/Work Less!
J$