Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wanttofly)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-13-2013, 5:52 PM Reply   
I sold my boat the other day with the intentions of buying an inboard before next spring. Every time that I think that I know exactly what year, make and model, something changes my mind. There is no possible way to test drive every model out there, and being new to inboards, this is going to drive me nuts. How do you possibly narrow it down? Here's what I do know, $40,000 is my limit, routinely take 7-10 people out, and I want to get it right the first time. My family boards, surfs, and tubes. I plan on keeping this boat for the next 5-10 years. Because of the amount of people I take out and the wind where I live, been leaning towards 2004-05 Malibu 23 LSV.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-13-2013, 6:16 PM Reply   
My personal pick in the 40k range is the Nautique 220. It's got a quirky interior and sensitive to listing with uneven side to side weight but.... I love the dimensions of it. If you have a crew that's somewhat on point with their understanding of boating the side to side weight won't be a big deal.

You cannot go wrong with a 23 LSV though. It's a great boat as well.

The Maristar 230 (x30) in the mid 2000s may also fit your needs. I find that with its flatter bottom it needs a little more weight to get a mackin wake
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-13-2013, 6:59 PM Reply   
This one will have sold by now (at least I hope so because it's the guy who runs onlyinboards.com's boat) and is a beautiful example of a 220 in the 40K range.

http://peoria.craigslist.org/boa/3930880834.html
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       08-14-2013, 7:02 AM Reply   
malibu 23 lsv all the way.

my only tidbit, having small kids and being tall is consider the tower. The time frame you are looking at is when the titan towers were going out and the illusion towers were coming in. The titan (4 point cage look) has the bimini underneath, much less head room, but better shade. the illusion, 2 point swoop, gives lots of head room and I can stand up under the bimini (6'2"), but since its higher you get less shade for the kids. I think the illusion folds easier and lower for storage, but the titan is easier to find racks/accessories for at a cost point.

This might also be when they switched from fixed to floating wedges. go floating if you can. fixed < floating < power.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       08-14-2013, 9:07 AM Reply   
I would definitely look in the 23-24ft range with a routine crew that big. 23 LSV is a great choice but there are some other good choices out there as well. I would narrow it down to the size you want then try to demo boats from each manufacturer in that size range. Just doing a quick check on OIB of boats 45k and under you have plenty of 23 LSV's a few 247s, X45s, Epics, Supra 24SSV's etc.. to choose from.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-14-2013, 9:53 AM Reply   
Used MB V23. Done
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-14-2013, 11:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by migs View Post
Used MB V23. Done
LOL...No
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-14-2013, 11:49 AM Reply   
^why not?
Rock solid boat
big & spacious
PCM power plant
great wake
in his price range.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-14-2013, 12:53 PM Reply   
Well, so is pretty much any other brand. I could have said

Malibu Wakesetter. Done
Mastercraft Xstar. Done
SAN. Done
Sanger V215. Done
Sanger V230 Done
Tige whatever. Done
Axis A22. Done

It's just not that simple and that is what he is frustrated about. I would say he is far better off with the Malibu he is leaning at since future resale will be much better/easier than MB.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-14-2013, 1:19 PM Reply   
Umm...
Bu - yeah I agree - but much older model than what hell get on the MB
Xstar - nope - small boat
SAN - nope - cant get on in that price range
Sanger - V215 eehhh not big enough
Sanger - V230 - yeah I agree
Axiss - not big enough - the new 24 yeah - but wont be in his price range either.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-14-2013, 1:58 PM Reply   
He can't get a SAN for 40???LOL!!!!!

I guess he can't get this 2005 Super Air Nautique for 36k then?
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/3974226573.html

I'd also completely disagree with your "nope, small boat" and "eehhh not big enough" comments. Maybe to you if you are 400 lbs and so are all your buddies. I just had 10 people out on my 2005 X2 and nobody complained about size...and every boat on my list is WAY bigger than my X2.

I think you get my point though...The OP needs to see and drive as many as he can and just get one that he likes. They are all pretty dang cool and with a 40k budget, he has tons of options.

As far as age goes, that isn't cut and dry also. I'd take a 2005 SAN over a brand new Moomba every day of the week but that is just me.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-14-2013, 2:03 PM Reply   
^^^absolutely - i would too.
I was talking about a SAN230. Im assuming he is in the 23ft range, so everything else is null & void.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-14-2013, 3:01 PM Reply   
Why has the enzo sv230 not been mentioned? Great rough water boat.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       08-14-2013, 3:33 PM Reply   
Go sit in them, see if this feels like "your" boat...knock them off the list if they dont. You have all winter to decide!
Old     (Cap305)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-14-2013, 4:19 PM Reply   
We love our 23 LSV Wakesetter (2001) and usually ride with 6-8 folks on the boat. Solid boat, easy to work on, and plenty of room. I've had 10 adults on it and, while close quarters, it wasn't over crowded. For your budget you could get a really solid 23 LSV or a mid 2000s 247. Good luck with the search and I'd say with fall coming up you might be able to work a good deal with someone in late September or October. I got mine last October and got what I thought and still think was a good deal. Good luck.
Old     (wanttofly)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-18-2013, 5:43 PM Reply   
Appreciate everyone's input. I would say so far it's 1) 23/24 LSV, 2a/b x45 and Enzo 230. Think that hopefully I will sit in one and just know. Small part of me will go by the color to be honest, just don't want a plain white boat. This is my first inboard, and I think what I have learned to most from these forums is that no matter what I buy, I will end up putting extra ballast in. Originally I was wishful that I would buy a boat that was pretty much dialed in when I bought it. Over the last few years, the only inboards I have been in is a couple of brand new MC, and a Malibu 23 xti. I think this is a lot of my problem, I just don't have a lot of experience in inboards. The other part that scares me is that if I buy it this winter, I willn't be able to test drive it. My gut feeling is that if everything works I would be happy with any of the above boats. It also doesn't help that I sold my boat, and to try and get through the pain I sit and look at used boats all night.
Old     (idaho_hillbilly)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-18-2013, 8:45 PM Reply   
A couple years ago I sold my boat in the first part of August, so I thought.....I just wait it out until winter to buy another. I lasted 2 weeks before I was on the road getting the new boat.

Trying to get any constructive insight from this forum on "which boat is best" is impossible. Truthfully, the boat out there in your price range are all good boats. Find the one that fits your requirements (color, seating arrangement, etc) and go test drive it....so, start shopping now.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-18-2013, 9:01 PM Reply   
If my malibu knowledge serves me correctly, they changed the hull starting in 2005, so if you are looking at an 04 or 05 23 LSV, keep that in mind (Both hulls are good, but I think most like the 05 and newer better). We have an 05 VLX and love it. Those era malibus are great. Our Monsoon 340 has 560 hrs on it and it never burned a drop of oil until this year (8 years old, just added oil for the first time). Great engine. Ran 2500 lbs of ballast+wedge+4 people tonight with no trouble at all. Minimal electronics problems to look for (unlike the keypads on SANs...05 malibus are all simple rocker switches) Good luck with the search.