Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-16-2009, 5:39 PM Reply   
If you have not sent in your comments to the Bureau of Reclamation about the environmental impact of the two gates project, please do so. It can be faxed or e-mailed. The deadline is tomorrow the 17th! Go to www.nodeltagates.com for the official form. Please pass this on to everyone you know who loves the Delta!
Old     (lund_pe_chad_ja)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-16-2009, 6:21 PM Reply   
I love the Delta. I have read all of the nogates stuff.

I have also read (actually skimmed the relevant portions to fact check some of the more strident nogates folks' claims) the draft Environmental assessment.

I would suggest that folks read the information from the nogates folks and also the EA (http://www.usbr.gov/mp/nepa/nepa_projdetails.cfm?Project_ID=4472).

Section 3 of the EA details the effects upon mean high tide, water quality, turbidity, the months that the gates will be closed during flood tides, etc.

After reading some of the nogates claims like "Changing tidal flows and fish migration could lead to lack of fish and wildlife in the southern Delta, increased aquatic plant life growth (which is already inundating Discovery Bay), and decreased water quality (muddy and/or smelly water) due to the stagnate water that could result from stopping water flow 10-20 hours per day" and then reading the draft EA it's obvious to me that at least some of the nogates claims are not founded in any type of scientific analysis.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       11-16-2009, 6:53 PM Reply   
its funny how the one hit wonders all pop up on this subject.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-16-2009, 6:55 PM Reply   
Looks like we have a troll on this thread. Registered on Nov. 15. Total posts = 3. Sorry- wakeworld people require a bit more of a track record before your opinions are respected.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-16-2009, 6:56 PM Reply   
Believing the claims of the organization that wants to build the gates. Sounds a bit like letting the fox guard the henhouse to me.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-16-2009, 8:22 PM Reply   
Wonder if this guy and reality check are the same dude?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-17-2009, 5:32 AM Reply   
Some friends of ours are shopping for a home in DB so we've been traveling around quite a bit with them. I'm amazed at how bad it already is at some locations in DB now - scummy literally stagnant water at many docks due to the lack of flow. I don't need any scientific analysis to tell me these gates will worsen the problem.

They already cheat at the pumping, that's why they got busted killing the baby smelt - their own "scientific analysis claimed none would be killed at the current allowable distribution levels.
Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-18-2009, 7:20 AM Reply   
NEXT PUBLIC MEETING IS this MONDAY NOV. 23RD 6:30PM DISCOVERY BAY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DISCOVERY BAY, CA

11-17-09 1:23pm PRESS RELEASE Discovery Bay, California

At 9 o’clock this morning, committee members of the Save the San Francisco Bay and Delta Foundation (SFBDF) met in Discovery Bay to refine their action plan against the Bureau of Reclamation’s “2 Gates Fish Protection Demonstration Project” which would install 2 “gates” on Old River and Connection Slough on the San Joaquin Delta north of Discovery Bay. These “gates” would significantly restrict water flow to the Southern Delta up to 20 hours a day creating potential health, safety, and rescue issues for residents of Contra Costa and San Joaquin Counties.

This project is ill conceived and will affect tens of thousands of citizens in the Southern Delta and Discovery Bay who have not been given adequate time to study and comment on this potentially disastrous project. Over 1,000 comment cards questioning the Bureau of Reclamation’s lack of study on potentially serious health and safety issues have already been submitted over the last 2 weeks.

The public comment period closes November 30th and action is necessary now!! Even if you’ve already submitted a comment card you can submit as many comment cards as you like. We will be providing comment cards at the next public meeting (they are also available on our website).

The next public meeting is scheduled for 6:30pm Monday November 23rd at Discovery Bay Elementary School.

We will be discussing:

· What we’ve accomplished so far.

· Timelines for action moving forward.

· Specfic things that each citizen can do to help.

This is a very important meeting and the last meeting before the public comment period ends so we urge you to attend.

KEY POINTS

· Health, Safety and Rescue issues have not been addressed.

· Installing gates could flood adjacent areas and put additional pressure on a weak levee system.

· 2 gates project will change water flows and could increase levels of toxic algae causing health problems.

· Project may cause silting up of the bays in Discovery Bay and other areas of the Southern Delta.

· The Bureau did No Environmental Impact Statement on the Southern Delta & specifically DISCOVERY BAY. We are asking the Bureau of Reclamation to extend the public comment time to 90 days or to reconsider the project entirely AND asking them to issue an Environmental Impact Statement on the Southern Delta.

SAY NO TO: “2 Gates” Project that will divide the Delta

We Need your Help Now!! -It’s not a lost cause!!

OUR ORGANIZATION - SAVE THE San Francisco BAY AND DELTA FOUNDATION – SFBDF

See our website for info: www.nodeltagates.com

“SFBDF is a non-profit organization focused on defeating any legislation or plans to pump or divert

more fresh water from the Bay and Delta Region to Southern California or other outside interests.”

CONTACT US:

DAVE DOVE – CHAIRMAN SFBDF 925.354.3800 DOVE@SBCGLOBAL.NET">DDOVE@SBCGLOBAL.NET

KAREN MANN – VICE CHAIRMAN SFBDF 925.513.3231 x1 KAREN@MANNAPPRAISAL.COM

MIKE GUZZARDO – MEDIA RELATIONS SFBDF 925.864.5757 MIKE@94505.COM
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       11-23-2009, 9:33 PM Reply   
Great turnout tonight. You don't even need to boat the delta to see what a colossal boondoggle this government action will be. Everyone's tax monies are being confiscated and being used to subsidize private water companies who are ranking in the money on this thing.

It's not about the smelt. They are using the smelt issue to build the peripheral canal, which will kill dozens of other delta fish species from low water flows. Don't be fooled. They have not even studied any of the gate's effects before approving the project. Now this is being brought to light they are back pedaling. They really have no interest in the environment. They only care about water deliveries, profit, and power. Hence the 80 million in project seed money donated to the water resources board for building the canal. This money came directly from the water conglomerate of southern california.

Hey So-Cal, build a fing de-salinization plant! PLEASE
Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-24-2009, 7:13 AM Reply   
I agree the turnout was great. However, It seemed as though it was mostly yachters. Where were all the wakeboarders, skaters, skiers, fisherman? If we want to stop these gates, we need more support. This effects more than just people living on the water in Disco. If you play on the southern Delta go to www.nodeltagates.com and make your voice heard. Without support these gates will change the Delta forever.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-24-2009, 9:15 AM Reply   
Just emailed all three of the links on the website. I wish I could have made the meeting but I had work and other prior engagements, sorry.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       11-25-2009, 10:34 PM Reply   
Please sign this petition. Anyone from outside the area who knows about or wants to experience the incredible riding on the delta please PM me and I'll give you a pull. You will see first hand how this will destroy a world class sports and recreation area let alone a very diverse and fragile ecosystem. The Delta is far more than home for me and the Disco Bay folks it is a vital part of Nor-Cal and the wakeboarding community!

Just imagine if someone was trying to drain Canyon Lake and the homeowners had no say, the environmental impact report was ignored and emergency services were eliminated. The delta gates will lower water levels and prevent the marine patrol, coast guard and fire boats from getting to emergencies. This is serious stuff.

http://nodeltagates.com/2009/11/24/comments-2-gates-project-u-s-bureau-of-reclamation/#respond
Old     (supraride)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-22-2009, 7:00 PM Reply   
I just read on CCTimes.com that the Obama Administration is going to delay the plan for the gates. If we are lucky it will go away. This might be the best thing they have done yet. haha
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-23-2009, 8:07 AM Reply   
CC Times says the report will delay the two gates projects. Stockton Record says it expedites the studies. Wonderful reporting!