Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-29-2013, 7:02 AM Reply   
Was out on the water last night. Just floating listening to music. It was at low volume when all of the sudden the 420 shut off. Which killed all the music. The amps still turn on. I got under the dash and the fuse on the back of the 420 was blown. So I got another to put in. It blew it as soon as I turned the stereo on. Did this on two bigger fuses as well. Any idea what's causing this? And why all of the sudden it wants to start blowing fuses?
Old     (EthanLT)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-29-2013, 8:31 AM Reply   
You are shorting out. it could be on the fused lead side or internally.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-29-2013, 9:08 AM Reply   
If any electronics unit has ever been exposed to water then it is very important to turn it off and not turn it back on until you have taken steps to inspect it and re-condition it. I would say that when an EQ blows a fuse for any other reason the same would hold true. A small amount of corrosion from previous events could cause a fuse to blow. Continuing to pass current through it can increase the scope of the damage to the point that a simple fix is no longer possible. And, NEVER increase the fuse size.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-29-2013, 9:47 AM Reply   
David, could this be true if it played fine for a couple hours before that? Just took it that long to actually stop working?
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-29-2013, 9:59 AM Reply   
Also, the unit is MAYBE 2 months old. It has never gotten wet to my knowledge
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       06-29-2013, 11:34 AM Reply   
My buddy had the exact same thing happen to him yesterday.. exactly..
power went off, fuse was blown, replaced, blew again... 2 months old... weird
still have not figured out what is wrong..
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-29-2013, 1:56 PM Reply   
Still have not figured out mine either. All my connections are fine. Checked all grounds and all are fine.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-29-2013, 4:29 PM Reply   
But you haven't looked inside the EQ yet.
Look for a white residue, especially in a rear inside corner given the angle at which most EQs are mounted.
Water damage can be accumulative.
If there has been no exposure to water then it is a simple warranty issue. In that case, contact Wetsounds or your Wetsounds dealer for service.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-30-2013, 7:31 PM Reply   
David, the EQ is mounted on a billet panel next to a Sony remote in a Malibu. The panel is mounted to the inside of the dash, so it would be VERY hard for water to get into it. The face of the EQ is flush with the mount (opening is recessed).

Chase, I can probably swap it out for you if you want to bring it down here, that way you've got tunes for the weekend.