Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       07-14-2010, 8:51 AM Reply   
I just came across a 2004 F-350, 6.0PSD, Lariat trim with 65,000 miles on it near me. I am going to take a look at it tomorrow, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what to pay attention to when I'm looking at it, or anything in particular to look for. The price is very very good for the mileage which makes me kind of concerned, so I wanted to turn to you guys for advice. Thanks in advance!
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-14-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
The older F350's.....especially the 04's had quite a few issue's with the engines so I would def check his records for the motor.
Old     (chasenm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-14-2010, 9:15 AM Reply   
The 2004 model powerstroke with the 6.0 is the year with all of the problems. I have a friend with an '04 king ranch and he was in the shop almost every weekend for different engine issues, thank God he had a great warranty. Finally, after endless trips to the service department they gave him a new engine, He now has the '04 model with an '09 motor. I don't know ALL of the specifics of his issues, but when I was buying my powerstroke he warned me to stay away from that year. Hope it helps!
Old     (chargedfe)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-14-2010, 9:24 AM Reply   
Patrick the things I would look for is first off what year motor is in it. Some early 04's came with 03 motors which in my personal experience had more problems than the 04 did. If memory serves me correct the 03 had c93 injectors which were more problematic than the 04 c95 injectors. Easy way to tell weather it’s a 03 or 04 is read the sticker on the pass side valve cover. Another way to tell is the icp sensor on the 04 will be on the pass side valve cover and the 03 icp is on back of motor out of sight. If it's an 03 I'm not saying don’t buy it just be aware of what your looking at. Look for puking around the coolant reservoir ask the owner what aftermarket parts have been installed and what ford has fixed on it if anything. If it were me I would get the vin and get an oasis report from the dealer or a diesel forum. I have an 04 and have replaced my headgaskets upgraded to arp studs and have replaced the icp sensor but I take credit for these repairs due to running a tuner.

Last edited by chargedfe; 07-14-2010 at 9:30 AM.
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-14-2010, 9:43 AM Reply   
Turd. Beware.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-14-2010, 10:08 AM Reply   
Chase, my buddy is in the same position practically. On his 4th motor with low miles. last engine didn't even make the first oil change before it crapped out agian.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-14-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
Yikes... I've got a friend with a '04 right now that has had a few problems, but it's heavily modded and he bought it with no records. The motor really hasn't been too bad. He had a fuel leak from an old filter o-ring that left him stranded. That and a fault for a glow plug, but not much else.

My '06 has been flaweless, but all this talk of head gaskets, HPOP's, EGR's, bed plates, etc has me thinking that I'll off it when it cracks the 100k mark and the warranty expires.

FWIW, they pull like a train and get great loaded gas mileage (unloaded they will be matched on most occasions by a newer gasser).
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-14-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
Find out if he has done head studs (you want this to be done already), find out if he has been running a tune on it and if so what kind, ask him how his EGR has lasted, check all the fluids (oil, tranny)

The 6.0 had some issues, but they arent impossible to dial in. In just about every diesel world mag there is an article about the 6.0 and how its problems can be resolved. Its weather or not you wanna do the work to get it reliable, which isnt much. Basically you need headstuds and an EGR delete kit, then the go fast goodies.....a custom tune, guages, exhaust, intake, and it just goes on and on from here.

I would look on powerstroke.org its my other forum, if you have any big questions.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-14-2010, 3:09 PM Reply   
Personally, I'd run far away. Look for a used 05 minimum and better if it's an 06 or 07. Like Evan, my 06 has been nothing but solid and eats up highway miles like nothing and can tow up a high altitude grade at 65-70 mph.

I would also stay far away from any that were "tuned", usually they will have aftermarket exhaust and such. You simply don't know how they tuned it and how they abused it. Some use good tunes for mileage and power, some do 4x4 burnouts and beat the crap out of the engine.

If you can get your hands on a nicely treated 02 or 03 7.3l you should grab it.
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       07-14-2010, 3:12 PM Reply   
I appreciate the help guys, I have been searching high and low for a 7.3 with the Lariat package with less than 75K, but they are diamonds in the rough. I'm gonna take a look at this one and car fax it out. Price is there, they are only asking 20995, which is a little suspicious, but it is a small lot dealer. We'll see, i've been getting mixed emotions for and against, but we'll see.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-14-2010, 3:22 PM Reply   
Patrick, I did a ton of research before pulling the trigger on an 06. I bought it new so I have warranty. everything I read pinpoints the 03 and 04 as big trouble years. The truck may be by all it's bugs with updated parts and new tunes, but you might get beat too. Consider that a new turbo is like 1500 bucks or an engine replacement will be 7k. it's a scary thing is all. You could try asking a Ford dealer to look up the service records.

Personally, i would not buy a used diesel without a warranty.
Old     (rockrig)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-14-2010, 3:33 PM Reply   
If it was never tuned, it should be okay. Alot of 6.0's were sold and are still out pulling and performing. The big problem was when tuned the heads would stretch the studs.

Check out some diesel forums like Powerstroke.org or the dieselgarage.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-14-2010, 3:33 PM Reply   
6.0 can be fixed with money. but is that worth it? find a 2000- 2003 7.3 or a dodge with 5.9 cummins
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-14-2010, 3:58 PM Reply   
Patrick, if you can find a 7.3 with like a 100k on it, you will be solid. If the prev owner took care of it, itll be perfecct. motor will just be broken in
Old     (cibolasam)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-15-2010, 8:51 AM Reply   
I have a 2001 with a 7.3 powerstroke. It has alot of good stuff on it. It Dyno's out at 368 rear wheel horsepower with 780 foot pounds of torque. I realize there are alot higher horsepower trucks out there, but this is safe horsepower and it runs great. It also beats my buddies 08 Ford by almost 50% in fuel economy.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-15-2010, 11:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cibolasam View Post
I have a 2001 with a 7.3 powerstroke. It has alot of good stuff on it. It Dyno's out at 368 rear wheel horsepower with 780 foot pounds of torque. I realize there are alot higher horsepower trucks out there, but this is safe horsepower and it runs great. It also beats my buddies 08 Ford by almost 50% in fuel economy.
Yea all that crappy emmisions junk they add to the new diesels kills the performance and economy. You can get mid 20's mpg when tuned and you pull the dpf, cat, and muff off...... and keep your foot out of it

My 02 7.3 hasnt been dynod but should be right under your numbers, granted I have a canned tune (edge juice w/ attitude) she still runs great, also have an aFe stage 2 intake with pro guard 7, 4" downpipe to 5" exhaust with a flow through muff and no cat.

Heres my baby

Old     (h2oskier14)      Join Date: May 2009       07-15-2010, 12:16 PM Reply   
Ask the dealer for an OASIS report, it is a report that shows all warranty work ford has paid for on the vehicle. You will learn a lot from this and can usually tell the good from the bad!!
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-15-2010, 12:50 PM Reply   
yea, If you get on powerstroke.org someone on the site should be able to run it for you if you give them the vin. just start trolling powerstroke.org and you will pick up on a lot. Its my other favorite site haha.
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       07-15-2010, 1:13 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the info guys. It looks like I may have found an 02 7.3L, that was my best friends cousin's. It only has 60K on it and it has all of the work done to it that I would want, tuner, lift etc. I know it has been babied. We are trying to work out a price together on it. Any one have any ideas on a price range. It is the Lariat trim. Thanks again guys.
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       07-15-2010, 1:43 PM Reply   
Joey, Where did you pick up the new badges for your truck, I really like the look of those.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-15-2010, 7:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by flattirenotube View Post
Joey, Where did you pick up the new badges for your truck, I really like the look of those.
Patrick, got them from dfuser.com

They are the OEM vent badges from ford that I actually cut into the fenders. If you pull the badges off, they use factory attachments and are actually a functioning vent haha. I did a write up on installing them on powerstroke.org but I cant seem to find the thread.
If you want it, shoot me a PM and ill try to dig it up.
Old     (chasenm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-15-2010, 2:07 PM Reply   
Patrick, I think that is the way to go man, the '02 won't disappoint you. Is it a crew cab? What kind of lift? All I did to mine was get a tuner, front end leveling kit, and bigger tires. That is awesome that you found one with only 60k miles! Hopefully you guys can work something out and get a good deal on it, good luck!
Old     (Lohe)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-15-2010, 5:43 PM Reply   
I went with the 02 7.3L the 6.0L like every one said just has to many issues.. I found an 02 excursion limited only had 50K miles... I paid a pretty penny for it but it was worth it, also had to travel 1700 miles

When I was looking found 2 nation wide with 50Kish miles... How much is he asking for the 6.0L?
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       07-16-2010, 9:08 PM Reply   
Well, the decision has been made. My buddy couldn't let go of his 7.3, but I found a 2003, Ram 3500 with 79K on it, and am picking it up tomorrow. I'll post pics. Thanks for all of the advice guys.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-17-2010, 12:47 AM Reply   
cool 5.9 may be the only motor better than a 7.3
Old     (chasenm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-17-2010, 8:17 AM Reply   
Awesome man, congrats. I've never owned one but have heard great things!