Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-11-2006, 3:47 PM Reply   
How many people who have a tandem trailer carry a spare? If so, do you have it mounted on the trailer or not?
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-11-2006, 4:15 PM Reply   
Bought the boat with no spare on the tire. Got a spare with matching rim and a bolt on carrier. Mounted up by the winch. We trailer to the lake, a definate must.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-11-2006, 4:17 PM Reply   
spare mounted on trailor with cover from screamin sac's.. I have a tandem but still would recommend a spare for the oohhh shheeetttt type things..
Old     (shortman)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-11-2006, 5:06 PM Reply   
Spare tire and hub set, mounted on frame just aft of winch. There's another thread about this from just a few days ago.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-11-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
Didn't have one on my last trailer with leaf springs. The new trailer has torsions, I realized I wouldn't be able to "chain an axle" up so I decided to get one since the trailer already had the holder. If you understand the "chain an axle" thing it's not really necessary on trailers with leaf springs.
Old    Johnny Wadd            04-11-2006, 5:53 PM Reply   
I bought one for the long trips to the lake. Just in case. My trailer came with a spot to mount it on the underside.
Board More/Work Less!
J$
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-11-2006, 7:34 PM Reply   
yeah--talked to my dealer and he's going to mount one--will need to get a cover and that's it!
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-12-2006, 2:00 PM Reply   
A spare is cheap insurance. If you are thinking that because you have a tandem trailer you can get by without one better think again.

It is not unusual to lose both tires on a side at one time. When the first one goes the second one picks up most of the load, so if the problem was really that you were overloaded on two tires then you will be really overloaded on one.

In addition, it is not that easy to feel in your tow vehicle that a trailer tire has gone flat. As a result, you tend to continue towing down the freeway until somebody pulls along side, honks and frantically waves and points back at your trailer. Meanwhile, the tire has been flopping around, bouncing the trailer (which doesn't help the loading on the remaining tire at all) and the bad tire can actually be flopping to the point that it is beating on the good tire.

If you have ever had to replace a tire 10 miles from St. George Utah at 6:00 PM on a Sunday evening you would really appreciate the vaule of a spare!
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-12-2006, 2:04 PM Reply   
I have dual spares
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-12-2006, 2:09 PM Reply   
I agree with Rod, a spare is a must.

St. George is a ghost town on Sunday nights.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-12-2006, 2:21 PM Reply   
Plus, if it is in the Summer....it is HOT, HOT, HOT.....
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       04-12-2006, 2:28 PM Reply   
Definitely carry a spare either on the trailer or just throw it in the back of the truck. The second way is pretty lame, but it's better than not having one.

I had BOTH rear tires on OPPOSITE sides blow out. I have no idea how. Just a coincidence I guess, but it definitely SUCKED @$$. It was a good thing I at least had one spare because one wheel was bent to hell. I still had to get it towed to replace the other tire, but at least I had a wheel.
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-13-2006, 10:36 AM Reply   
Ordering a spare next week but need to have it mounted since I tow with my 4 Runner and there's already too little room inside!

Any pics of spare mounted on Malibu Extreme Trailer?

Also, St George must be bacd luck--truck broker down there coming back from Powell a few years ago and had to have truck & trailer towed to St. George and stay there to get it fixed...bummer!!!
Old    boardman74            04-13-2006, 10:49 AM Reply   
Always carry a spare no matter what. I blew a tire on a single with no spare and it sucked. I had to leave the boat, find a tire bring it back.....you get the picture. Lucky it was during the day. Cost me 3 hours time. I did it later on my hunting rig and it was at night and I had to leave it where it sat and go home. Then next morning get a tire. That one ruined the weekend. Luckily I was only about 15 miles down the road. Better than 100 miles into a 200 mile trip.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-13-2006, 10:53 AM Reply   
Danny- I always use this rule of thumb while towing. Close trips like to my home lake I take one spare with me and then I take two with me on longer trips,you just never know and it isn't that much more of a hassle. How much is your time worth when you are sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck? Extra spare is only a $100.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-13-2006, 1:03 PM Reply   
Because of the point Rod brought up, and the fact that Havasu's in the middle of the friggin desert, I put two on the tongue.

Unfortunately, I don't carry a spare hub yet. That'll probably be what does us in :-(
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-13-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
I have a blowout or two a year, it sucks. I can change them in 10 min now. NEVER be without a spare, a four way lug wrench and a bottle jack.

I should be like Derek and carry two, once I ran over a box of King 50 staples that fell off a construction truck, had one blowout and one slow leak.

It is always the passenger side that I have issues on. I think it's because that side is in the ditch and running over more crap than the driver side.

Be sure to inspect your trailer well after a blowout. I had a bad one last fall about 400 miles from home. Swapped the tire, no problems, got home and didn't tow farther than three mile trips for the rest of the season.

This spring, I realized my trailer brakes were inop. I found a snapped brake line on the wheel that had the blowout. My truck brakes are good, so I didn't really notice, but it coulda sucked on a panic stop. I now know all there is to know about trailer brakes:-) (I took pics, Derek:-)