Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 19, 2004

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-23-2004, 1:00 PM Reply   
Does anybody own a house or have some knowledge about owning a house at Lake Nacimiento? I'm trying to get info on the best area in which to buy property there. Oak Shores? Heritage Ranch? Other?
Old    norcal_99            02-23-2004, 1:14 PM Reply   
I'm interested in this also.
Old    disbemrj            02-23-2004, 1:20 PM Reply   
I know I looked into this a few years ago at Oak Shores.
It seems that in the summer it gets real crowded and windy too. Weekends (when I would be able to go) are real crowded. Cody Ramsey has a place down there so he would be a good person to contact.
Old     (john)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-23-2004, 2:15 PM Reply   
Check into Running Deer Ranch(bigger parcels) & Oak Shores(all the amenities). Still a lot of uncertainty about the lake levels/water rights, although it doesn't seem to have impacted property prices any. $500k at Oak Shores will get you a lake view home (not direct access), $300k-$400k for most others. Occasionally, a little "week-ender" will come up in the mid $200's. Or buy a lot and build yourself.
Running Deer prices are all over the place due to varying parcel sizes, but it won't be cheap. Heritage Ranch is a huge development with a wide variety of home types ( from trailers to executive homes ) and prices. Most do not have lake views.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-23-2004, 2:43 PM Reply   
I'm pretty much from the area, I go to school 40 minutes away in San Luis Obispo. I know that property value is very expensive. There is also the nagging trouble with the water rights issue. Monterey County has rights to the water in San Luis Obispo county, this sucks because they drain our lake before they drain theirs (Lake San Antonio). As for areas I would recommend, Heritage Ranch, my folks used to have a place there, it's gated so you have that element of not just anyone being in there. It's also 20 minutes closer than any other place and nearly an hour closer than Oak Shores or Running Deer, for those ones you have to skirt the entire lake and get onto some gnarly roads. Heritage is tight, they have their own ramp and docks(no floating gas though). I would recommend it to anyone, like they said it gets crowded and sometimes windy but man, we hit it at 6am on Fourth of July and still get great water. Let me know how it goes, it'd be cool to have a Southerner come up!
Old     (leinad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-23-2004, 3:07 PM Reply   
Oak Shores:
-Minature Golf course and Pool
-Club House/Banquet Room
-2 Launch Ramps and nicer docking
-20-30 Minutes farther than Heritage
-Less Crime and nicer homes
-10 minutes to San Antonio(When Naci is 100degrees and glassy so is San Ant but with less crowds)
-Own campground and large storage
-10 minute drive to Al's Marine (Gas, beer, burgers, and storage)and BeeRock (Nice market/Video store)
Heritage:
-Closer
-Possibly cheaper/mobile homes
-Crime problem (stolen goods/youth)
-Closer to Gas/Marina
-More crowded end of lake (Oak is closer to the narrows and some of the better fingers)
-Closer to the water ski course!!!!

Currently they are making a new housing development outside the lake about 5 minutes past Heritage and about 5 minutes from the public access area. The development will be gated and it is in its first stages. This may be a good option even though you are not in a community on the lake. Year passes for the lake are pretty cheap. The boat pass works for both lakes and the vehicle pass is separate due to different counties. Almost across from this new development they are building a Food 4 Less shopping center. And rumor was that it was likely they will build a school out there in the next 10 years. With all this development property value is likely to rise, especially in five years once all the water issues are settled. As far as conditions, it may get crowded in summer but this time of the year it is butter all day and weekdays in summer are great. Next canyon in my mind.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-23-2004, 3:22 PM Reply   
Great info!

Can those with knowledge elaborate on the "water issues?" Thanks.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-23-2004, 3:27 PM Reply   
Hey Dave,

My whole family lives in Oak Shores. My mom owns Lake Vacation Rentals, specializing in renting and maintaining vacation homes in Oak Shores. www.lakevacationrental.com Her name is Leslie Escalera, drop her a line @ 805-472-2021 not only does she know a lot about what houses are available but she is really tight with all the best real estate agents in the area. She would be more than happy to help you out.
Old    norcal_99            02-23-2004, 3:31 PM Reply   
DCDoud, Any idea what they will call the new area?

Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-23-2004, 3:37 PM Reply   
Rene its just an expansion of Heritage Ranch.
Old     (leinad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-23-2004, 3:46 PM Reply   
The new site does have a different name I believe, as far as the water issue here is an article that sums up what is happening.
http://www.newtimes-slo.com/cover/

Shawn are you living at Nac? Ride?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-23-2004, 3:47 PM Reply   
the water issues are the ones I mentioned above. The lake is continually drained by monterey County farmers in Salinas Valley. Basically back in the 50's when the dam was built SLO county gave monterey county the water rights. The lake fluctuates greatly in water level and is very susceptible to drought conditions, because they drain naci before they touch San Antonio(slightly exagerated). Now the SLO County is jumpng on and is building a water project to further drain it for Municipal use. This was a huge issue a few years back as they contemplated closing it to water contact. Check it out online, it's been a long battle...

Daniel you going to that movie Saturday? Riding Saturday or Sunday? I s/w Austerman I guess he was down for Mardi gras and is bringing his boat over Spring Break sometime...
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-23-2004, 4:09 PM Reply   
Hey DCD no I'm not living there right now, (currently in Orange County), but My whole family lives on Nacimiento and I graduated from Paso High. My mom, aunt, and Grandma live in Oak Shores, then I have another aunt, and grandpa live in Heritage Ranch. I haven't been going up there much though because I never have anyone with a decent boat to ride with, (unless I want to bust out moms Tri-Hull). Drop me a line if you'd like to meet up sometime, I can make the drive just about anytime and have plenty of places to stay on the lake.
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-23-2004, 4:49 PM Reply   
Here you go. http://www.oakshoresrealty.com/index.htm
http://www.jimirving.com/index.html
http://www.lakenacimiento.com/
http://www.lakecountryproperties.com/