Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (caffeineguy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-12-2006, 11:30 AM Reply   
Do you fill a sub enclosure only when it has less airspace than the Manufacture requires?? Or do you always fill a sealed enclosure with the white stuff? (technical term)
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-12-2006, 11:43 AM Reply   
hmmm I thought this post was about something else
Old     (caffeineguy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-12-2006, 11:47 AM Reply   
I knew it would make people read it!
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-12-2006, 11:53 AM Reply   
ROTFL, KG.

Yeah, you put Polyfill in a box that's too small. It "fools" the woofer into thinking there's more space than there is. I've put at least a little bit of polyfill in most of my boxes because I like the way it deadens the thump a little. TO ME it makes it a little more solid. Please notice I capitalized TO ME because everyone has their own opinion on the stuff.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-12-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
I would completely fill it with loosely fluffed dacron polyfill. For full size boxes a 1" lining on 3 sides works just fine to kill the standing waves that build up inside.
Old     (caffeineguy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-12-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help. Now, where do I get this "polyfill" that you speak of??
Old     (dedicatedwse)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-12-2006, 12:27 PM Reply   
Interesting...never heard of this before. Does this only apply to sealed speakers? Or does it apply to ported enclosures also?

I've always heard that a sealed speaker gives you bigger bass, while a ported enclosure gives you cleaner bass. Does the polyfill change this?
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-12-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
Druffel, I believe it is the other way around. Sealed typically provides a tighter punchier bass while the ported typicall is a deeper boomier bass.
PMH I bought some polyfil at an arts and crafts type store.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-12-2006, 1:31 PM Reply   
yeah, you MAY even be able to pick it up at the local Wal-Mart. I've gotten it from Joanne's or Michael's or Hobby Lobby. Whatever you have...

I concur with Mikeski, if the box is too small, shove the polyfill in, stretch it apart and then make sure there's enough room for the cone and magnet to get in without being suffocated by the "fill".

And Chris is right about ported boxes providing boomier, looser bass. Honestly it's 100% about the box, though. When you start talking about bandpass and ported boxes, each box needs to be fit to the specific sub that's going in it.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-12-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
A good source for polyfill is an old couch pillow, old jacket, stuffed toy, dog toy... If you insist on not stealing a toy from the kid or dog, you can also get it at the fabric store. I wouldn't waste my money on the stereo store stuff, it's all the same in my opinion.

I have a dog that is an artist at performing sqeakectomys on her stuffed toys. I just give her a squeaky toy and come back in 15 minutes and there will be a pile of pre-fluffed polyfill ready to go...
Old     (loffgren)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-13-2006, 8:14 AM Reply   
when she asks me too!
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-13-2006, 3:43 PM Reply   
1-to-1 Ratio.
1.0lb of Polyfill to 1.0cuft of enclosure space is the normal ratio.