Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (rocket71)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-07-2010, 9:14 AM Reply   
I got my new Ibex and got a chance to try it out last night. It rides so much different than my CWB Marius. The speed I generate to the wake on a much shorter pull and the pop is so much more. My buddy towing could not believe his eyes the first time I really charged the wake. He thinks I cleared the height of the tower. (I doubt that)

All was good till I got a bit cocky. I was getting really close to landing a backroll on the Marius. The only problem was I would always over rotate. I must have spent too much time thinking about over rotating because I definitely didn't this time. I popped off the wake, under rotated and on the landing it was all on the nose and went down. I knew something was wrong with my leg, it was blazing on fire.

I went to Urgent Care this am an they took xrays. She feels I have crack in my tibia that is showing up in 2 of the 3 xrays. She is not 100% sure because my pain is not located near the break. so I get to go to the ortho tomorrow for another opinion.

Lesson learned
- Don't try too much on a board you just got. Get to know the board first.
- Don't overthink it either. Remember the tips from everyone this website and just do it.

Oh well, I hope its not broke.
Old     (Preston)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-07-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
Sucks to hear about your leg, I hope you have a speedy recovery.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-07-2010, 12:35 PM Reply   
Man sorry to hear that ..hope it gets better quick.
This does hit me really close though. I also just got a new Ibex well its an 09 and have been out on it 3 times. Really diggin it. Even tried my first invert (tantrum) Took a few crashes and being a little older concerned about injury..so thanx for the tips and get well soon.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-07-2010, 3:11 PM Reply   
My brother had the same type of injury 4 years ago. Hopefully the fracture isn't too bad, and you'll only be out a couple of weeks.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-08-2010, 6:59 PM Reply   
sorry to hear about your misfortune. we all know the dangers[even young people get hurt] while wakeboarding. heck i broke my tailbone trying to learn a raley.the water is harder as your speed increases also the leaverage your board has on your legs is greater the longer it is.please be careful in the future.warm your muscles up good before you ride. good luck.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-09-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
Berry, you missed all of the shenanigans at the Riverpark boat ramp yesterday. Took us a good 30 minutes from getting there to heading away from there, all thanks to 2 launchers. Anyways, let me know when you are able to get out again, and if nothing else, if you just want to go along with us (it was just my brother and I for much of the day yesterday), you're always welcome. I know what its like, broke my ankle three summers ago, in the middle of the summer.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       08-09-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
ouch
Old     (rocket71)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-09-2010, 7:01 PM Reply   
Update! Good news, I think. I saw the ortho today and couldn't for sure rule out a fracture of the tibia. He said I did have a 2nd degree ankle sprain and put me in a Darth Vader walking boot for 2 weeks. I can deal with 2 weeks, that will still leave almost 2 months of riding. I think I am going to forego the backroll this season. (Yeah right!)
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-12-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
Hope you are riding soon. The advice that got my backroll down was to keep my head pressed to my lead shoulder as I got upside down. It allowed me to spot the water SUPER soon and stopped my weird problem of closing my eyes/vertigo.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-12-2010, 11:15 AM Reply   
Did the same thing riding a Marek for the 2nd time....lost a year of my life and by far the most painful injury i have had to date....heal up quick dude
Old     (Donski)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-12-2010, 11:56 AM Reply   
I did the exact same thing on a backroll when I was first learning them about 4 years ago. Came up short, nose dug, and snap! Went to the ER and sure enough, fractured tibia. It was about the end of July and I was riding by late september.

DO ALL THE NECESSARY THERAPY!!!

I failed to attend my therapy sessions so my leg aches everytime I get off the water still to this day.