Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       07-19-2006, 12:27 PM Reply   
I'm just starting to look at purchasing a new boat. Right now I'm leaning toward a smaller v-drive in the 20-21 foot range. I haven't even started testing any of the boats, but just wondered if anyone out there had skied behind any of the boats in this size range. I am mainly interested in how the wake is in the 28' off and up range, but if you have skied behind a boat at a longer length let me know.

Before anyone goes off on the subject, I'm not looking for a good ski wake, I have access to multiple slalom boats when I am wanting to train for slalom hard core, but I am mainly looking for a good boat to hang out with friends, ride a little, and a good wakesurf wake. The only reason I even ask about the slalom wake is I would like to know just incase I was on the lake and felt the need to pull the slalom stick out.

I will probably look at boats from MC, Malibu, Supra, and possible Tige. I'm not interested in any crossover d-drives. Thanks in advance. I'm kind of embarrased, this is a question I could have easily answered 2-3 years ago, but once I joined the real world, most of my boat knowledge went out the window!
Old     (ewater)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-19-2006, 12:54 PM Reply   
Can't remember the details but some collegiate slalom record was set in Australia behind a Supra 22ssv.
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-19-2006, 1:01 PM Reply   
The guy I regularly ride with has a Supra 20ssv. Both of us have slalom backrounds and we both agree with the boat trimmed out and moving 28 mph to 35 mph the wake is looking good for some single action.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-19-2006, 1:01 PM Reply   
MC X-1 is the PS 205V hull. At 34-36mph the wake is decent, but not fantastic. A bit hard, but small.
Old    bocephus            07-19-2006, 1:23 PM Reply   
I don't know about the surf wake but the Sanger has a great wakeboarding wake and works very good for slalom too.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       07-19-2006, 2:03 PM Reply   
I am leaning harder toward the Supras. I really like what they are doing. I heard about the Supra slalom record, they had to use the boat because the slalom boat broke down.

I live in the midwest, so Sanger will not be an option, plus I am just not a big fan of the way they look, though I know they are great boats.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-19-2006, 2:12 PM Reply   
I just got a 06 moomba outback V, seems like the most versatile boat I’ve seen, I ski and the kids wakeboard, unloaded the boat, trim tab up it has just a small bump for sking, load it up and it puts out a very nice wake, lots of room, great v-drive….
Old     (ewater)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-19-2006, 4:59 PM Reply   
If you wanted to go with the walk thru design, rather than playpen on the 22ssv, you always could go with the Sunsport. What were they originally going to use in that tournament?

(Message edited by EWATER on July 19, 2006)
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-19-2006, 5:31 PM Reply   
I vote the Mastercraft X1 (previously known as X2, and previous to being previously known as the X2, it was the X-Star, and prior to having been previous to the previously known X-star, it was the ProStar 205... but it was in direct-drive form then)

The boat is small, but it is unbelievably well-rounded. The best slalom skier on my lake rides behind a 2004 X1... and one of the best wakeboarders on the lake also rides behind an X1.

... Yet the best innertuber on the lake rides not behind the X1, but behind a 2006 Malibu Wakesetter VLX.

(Message edited by anodyne on July 19, 2006)
Old    why_i_work            07-19-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
isn't the nautique sv-211 the only course rated v drive boat.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       07-19-2006, 5:50 PM Reply   
If I were to go look right now, the X2 would be at the top of my list on looks alone. The VLX would be right there as well because of the good luck we've had with Malibu in the past. Supra really impresses me right now and I really like their KC dealer. I have never been impressed by Tige, but there new picklefork boat is interesting enough I'll probably take a look at it. I don't really see myself in the X1, not quite sure why.

I think the original boat was either a Nautique or an MC that they were using at that tournament, but I can't exactly remember.
Old     (wakeman21)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-19-2006, 9:06 PM Reply   
the CC sv-211 throws no wake at all for slaloming. I'm not sure about what it puts out for surfing but it does have a pretty nice wake for wakeboarding
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-19-2006, 9:07 PM Reply   
I ski behind my 211 that is approved to tow class C slalom tournaments. The wake is not too bad as long as you avoid 22 off where there is a big bump. I have also skied behind a couple SANs and I can honestly say that I don't see a BIG difference at 34mph/28off where I ski. At longer lengths the wake behind the 211 is softer but not necessarily smaller. I have also skied behind an 05 X-star and that was not much fun.

You should include the MC X1, and Malibu Sunscape 21 as I have heard they are also good crossover boats.

No matter what you read or hear from us/dealers you should take a test ski in a fully loaded boat (people) before you buy.

On the other hand I recently boarded behind a newer crossover direct drive... I will suffer the skiing wake to get a decent wake for boarding.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       07-19-2006, 10:12 PM Reply   
As I said, the only skiing I would ever do would be with minimal people and at a last resort on some lake that happened to have a slalom course. This boat would be used less than 5% of the time for slalom, as I have access to multiple slalom boats. I have pretty much ruled out getting a crossover d-drive. If I change my mind from the wake boat, I will go directly to a Response LXi. I hadn't been a huge 211 fan, but saw one at the KC dealer about 3 months ago that looked really sharp. I appreciate all the info.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-20-2006, 8:31 AM Reply   
Nick just buy an Xstar and move to the rock with me and we'll have the best of both worlds, since I'm probably buying an LXI!
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-20-2006, 8:52 AM Reply   
I agree that the 20SSV is a great skiing V-drive. Along the same lines, the Outback V is a very versatile boat as well. The '06 and earlier 22SSV has the 20SSV in the wakeboarding/surfing arena, but not enough so to rule out the 20.

If you like what Supra is doing, just wait.
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-20-2006, 9:40 AM Reply   
Nick,

I know you don't like Tige's very well. We had an 04 switch V, the ski wake was pretty good. You could make the wakesurfing wake good also, and the wakeboarding wake was ok. The switch is gone now, but check out the 20V, if you want something bigger the 22ve is very nice also.
Old    sking55405            07-20-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
I have a sanger v210 and im the only one that wakeboards. Mostley everyone else barefoots and slaloms and not once has anyone said anything bad about the slalom wake. just my .02
Old     (mcx2ryd)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-20-2006, 10:41 AM Reply   
I ski and ride behind my 06'X2. And it is great. What level of skiing are you planning on doing? Open water or course?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-20-2006, 11:56 AM Reply   
I think I am selling my '01 xstar if you are interested. I run the course with it a lot and it does great, especially at 36. I can't run 22@ 36 yet(hopefully soon) so I can't tell you about that, but I am sure it is fine as well.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       07-20-2006, 9:57 PM Reply   
Paul, I think I'm probably going to end up buying new or something a year or two old. You getting something new?

Brent, I only ski in the course for the most part. My opener is 36/22' and my pb is 4@35' off. Good to hear on the X2. Love the way that boat looks.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-23-2006, 6:09 PM Reply   
Here is a pic from my 20SSV. I think we were running at 33-34 mphUpload
Upload
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-23-2006, 11:58 PM Reply   
As a skier and a boarder I find pictures of wakes to be pretty useless. Even seeing a wake in person does not tell me much. Until I take a cut through the wake or kick the wake a few times with my board I don't make judgements.

In my opinion this is one case where a picture is not worth a thousand words.
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-24-2006, 12:06 AM Reply   
Nick, we test drove an 06 X2 and it had a really nice ski wake as well as a solid wakeboard wake at the respective speeds. Test drive one and check it out for yourself.