Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old    oldschool            08-08-2003, 6:06 AM Reply   
You people that say he is a hypocrite and a sell out, YOU'RE F'ING STUPID! Get a life, you have nothing else to worry about than some guy who rides a wakeskate for a living? This is his livelyhood. Whatever pays the bills. This is sweet that Nautica is down with putting Grubb in the commercial. The commericial is the best thing I've seen in a while. Good for him!
Old    wakejunkeygirl            08-08-2003, 8:12 AM Reply   
for the right amount EVERYONE would 'sell out'....and if they didn't, they would be stoopid!
.*and is it really 'selling out', I look at it like 'MAKING MONEY', the guy can't Wakeskate FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!! have fun, make money, invest, retire, live nice, die...the end.
Old    corey_marotta            08-08-2003, 8:32 AM Reply   
Sick. I can't believe anyone would be pissed at this. Were lucky it was someone like Grubb apposed to a wakeboarder doing a bunch of flips. Five years ago we would have killed for that kind of exposure. Media is going to happen regardless, thankfully this time the masses were shown a lagit side of our sport.

I'm not even going to start on the haters. They've already shown how idoitic they are.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-08-2003, 8:34 AM Reply   
I saw it last night. Very cool that wakeskating is getting the exposure. But, it seems way out of character for a jeans commercial. Either way, he's not getting rich wakeskating. It's great that he had this opportunity.
Old    oldschool            08-08-2003, 10:21 AM Reply   
I don't think it's that far out of character. Better than a herd of buffalo running through the street and splitting around two people. How often do you see that in the city?

Angi was just happy to see Brian's butt in those jeans.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-08-2003, 10:52 AM Reply   

quote:

Were lucky it was someone like Grubb apposed to a wakeboarder doing a bunch of flips.

what the heck does that mean? last i checked this was the wakeboarding discussion forum - what would be wrong with it being a wakeboarder?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-08-2003, 10:57 AM Reply   
didn't you know that wakeboarding is gay, especially if you flip.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-08-2003, 6:19 PM Reply   
Thomas Horrell predicted all of this, and many people at that time thought he had totally lost his mind.
He built it - now they've come.
Old    jakeman            08-10-2003, 6:38 PM Reply   
craig-

u r so right I hate the levi commercial

I really hate that commerical

now I need to hit the heavy bag
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-11-2003, 8:57 AM Reply   
What is the problem here?? So even though he's a bad a$$ on a wakeskate, most likely better than anyone on this board, he's still gotta feed his face.

How is he supposed to make any money being a pro wakeskater?? So he gets like 4-5k for each contest that he wins, not 40-50k per contest like a lot of pro skateboarders. Then he makes some money from Hyperlite and his other sponsers but because Nautica isn't directly related to wakeboarding, he's now a sell out. Thats disgusting, I can't believe some of the crap you all are saying. If the same situation was placed in front of any of you, you would be out of your mind not to take it. Get real
Old     (njladydriver)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-12-2003, 5:18 PM Reply   
I think it's about time the sport is getting this type of recognition. Good for Grubb! Good for the sport! So do you actually think he cares about having to shoot a commercial for Nautical Jeans? He's in a commercial wakeskating which is being shown on MTV every hour on the hour! Do you know how many viewers are watching this commercial? A hell of alot more then those who turn the pages of the wakeboarding magazine or who post on here that's for sure! I'm sure half of them are looking at this commercial and saying "WOW"!
I wonder how much Tony the Tiger got paid to do his wakeboarding commercial?
Old    norcal_99            08-13-2003, 11:10 AM Reply   
I seen the commercial and think it's cool.

For all you who think Grubb is a sellout you need to remember what the word "Professional" means. It doesn't mean that a person is really really great at something and should only do it for fun or competition.

Being a "Professional" means you do it to earn a living weather it's winning the prize money at a tournament, making a DVD, or filming a commercial. Wakeskating is Grubb profession.
Old     (n2mywake)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-13-2003, 11:52 AM Reply   
I agree with Rene. Even if this gets one more person interested in boarding/skating then that would be one less tuber or powerturner to deal with.

Seriously the commercial is great exposure. This can only help the sport progress.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-13-2003, 12:30 PM Reply   
I believe that the pro tour only pays $1500 to the winner in wakeskating. They pay $5000 for wakeboarding.
Old    dnichole            08-13-2003, 2:14 PM Reply   
The sport is gaining more recognition... is that such a bad thing??? Grubb is helping that, and makin some money in the process, big f-in deal... I think it'd be awesome to see these pros pullin in some bucks for their accomplishments

And Nautica has just grabbed the attention of all of you and a lot of other people... sounds like their advertisers know what they're doing